Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Why Religious Vikings Fans Should Understand Cheering for Losses

I am one of the most passionate and emotional Vikings fan around. Seriously, they consume my life. Ask anyone I know. I always want what is best for them. Which is why I get so confused when I see people wanting them to win these games that do nothing but hurt us. When it’s May and we are walking up to the podium with our draft pick, I want desperately for it to be a potential franchise changing QB. Yes we need defense, but look at what Andrew Luck and RG3 did for their respective teams. Two of the worst teams in the league completely turned around because QB play that inspired the entire team.

“But 12purplepride28, the draft is a complete crap-shoot! Just enjoy the season and let the draft pieces fall where they may!” I understand that the draft is anything but certain but are you saying that Andrew Luck had as much chance to be successful as any 7th round QB? There is a much higher chance of success at the top of the draft than lower, not to mention the huge potential of trading down a couple spots. Imagine drafting Clowney or Nix at 3 and still having an extra 1st from Cleveland or a 2nd and a couple 3rds from Jax. Or we could have a couple meaningless wins at the end of a season that has us already eliminated from the playoffs. I’ll take my chances at the top of the draft.

Why do I say that religious people should understand this? Growing up a Christian, any time I asked why bad things happen, I would hear that “God has a plan for everything and we have to trust that the pain we go through now is for our good in the long run” or some variation of that. Basically things that seem bad at the time can actually benefit us in the long run and conversely, things that seem bad now can actually hurt us in the long run. Whether you agree with that in a religious sense is irrelevant as no one can really tell the future. But applying it to our situation is completely reasonable. Yes it seems good for us to win the game because we all love the Vikings but what good does it really do us? Absolutely nothing.

Yes it seems wrong to cheer for a loss and I’m always conflicted between cheering for a loss and cheering for amazing plays from AP, CP84, Rudolph, Jennings, etc. We all want a super bowl, and I believe that picking higher in the draft helps us accomplish that faster.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Losing brings out the worst in people's attitudes. Winning instills hope. This is true due to the fact that football players are competitive. If they aren't winning they are dying inside.

Take the Jags. They are a young team, they are building. They had one win 4 weeks ago, now they have 4 wins. They are building momentum.

If I was going to try to relate this to religion, I would say that we don't get to chose whether our team wins or loses. The creator is in control. Always take away positives and enjoy what you are allowed to experience. You can take something positive away from every experience whether or not it is the experience you wanted.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    Losing brings out the worst in people's attitudes. Winning instills hope. This is true due to the fact that football players are competitive. If they aren't winning they are dying inside.

Take the Jags. They are a young team, they are building. They had one win 4 weeks ago, now they have 4 wins. They are building momentum.

If I was going to try to relate this to religion, I would say that we don't get to chose whether our team wins or loses. The creator is in control. Always take away positives and enjoy what you are allowed to experience. You can take something positive away from every experience whether or not it is the experience you wanted.
    Hope you're this positive when Ponder 2.0 is tossing ints into the air like panties at a prince. concert.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    12p28, sorry I can't agree with your post. It's against everything I believe in to cheer for a loss. I don't care about the ramifications. Plenty of teams in the league can compete without tanking it for a draft spot. Given a good front office and good coaching we can compete to, but we don't have those things. Thinking a single pick can turn this wreck around is dubious at best.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Nah, I'm not buying into the losing mentality. If you're rooting for your football team to lose, you need to reassess your fandom... quick.

These guys are busting their ass out their for the purple and gold. I'll be damned if I'm gonna root for these guys to lose. If you do, you should be ashamed of yourself.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Nah, I'm not buying into the losing mentality. If you're rooting for your football team to lose, you need to reassess your fandom... quick.

These guys are busting their ass out their for the purple and gold. I'll be damned if I'm gonna root for these guys to lose. If you do, you should be ashamed of yourself.
    I completely agree!

Skol Vikings!

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I see it as more of a win/win...IF we win, great, always fun to see them win!

IF we lose, fine, we could certainly use a top five pick in April!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    A lot of our guys have performance based contracts. They get paid for playing well and winning games. I don't know of a single contract that pays them for playing for draft picks. If they get pulled from games keeping them from making money in order to lose games it would be really hard to sign any good players here. They will play to win every game they can and we might as well cheer them on because we are fans of the game not the draft lottery. This isn't fantasy football its the real thing. We are going to get a good first round pick this year regardless of how the rest of the season goes. The draft is a crap shoot. We got a great pick on Sharif last year did he make us the #1 defense in the NFL? No he just made us a little better is all. Will a rookie QB make us a super bowl contender next year? No!
    Root for our team to win and let the draft picks take care of itself. No one knows at this point what may fall to us in the draft next year. Personally I think Free Agency is where teams are really built. Most rookie QBs don't even play for 3 or 4 years. Not to mention if you don't have a line to protect them they don't even survive.

Go Vikings..... If nothing else be a spoiler this year. I can cheer for that.

WWBGD

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    I don't condone losing, but I think the Vikings' difficult last 4 games will take care of the situation. I think that 3-12-1 is a definite possibility, and that a change in coaching staff is likely if not imminent. I wish I could be more positive, but...

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    These guys are busting their ass out their for the purple and gold.
    Not sure I agree with that anymore. It's not 1974. Free agency has ruined me on believing team rah rah coming from the players. I believe they're still busting their ass, but its more for a paycheck rather than team pride. Busting their ass for the ___________Gold
    Last edited by Suick; 12-06-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast