Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    purpleblood32 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan620 View Post
    At #8 they need to Draft best defensive player on the board. Mack,Barr,Gilbert, or Mosley would be a huge improvement..... The QB I believe would be a solid pick would be David Fales in the late 3rd early 4th... I like his mechanics,arm strength and above average accuracy. Sign Cassel and let Fales learn for a year.. If you haven't watched any tape on him, please do so it won't disappoint
    an earleir post stated it was our offence that lost the games ...first this is a team sport but when ur defence gives up a league high 30 pionts per game average...its hard to win ....if we dont get a qb with our 8th pick just stay there get best guy on the board ...pick a qb with the 2nd or 3rd pick ...WE HAVE TO BRING IN A VET A VICK, SANCHEZ,MALLET,OR SCHUAB TYPE GUY ....QB DONT HAVE TO BE PEYTON MANNING TYPES BRAD JOHNSON, TRENT DILFER. DOUG WILLIAMS. JIM MACMAHN.I KNOW THAT WAS BACK IN THE DAY BUT WILSON DID IT TOO THEY WON WITH SPECIAL TEAMS DEFENCE AND SOLID O PLAY ...ANOTHER PLAY MAKER ON O IS NEEDED SOME ONE TO STEP UP ...ANOTHER O LINEMAN A NASTY MEAN ONE FOR GUARD THIS YEAR WOULD BE NICE ...TEN DEFENCE, DEFENCEAND MORE DEFENCE

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Not finding a quarterback will be equally disastrous.
    Exactly. And the idea of another three year QB project makes me want to puke. Yes the defense sucks but QB is one player who by himself is almost as important as the whole D unit. Get one, and you're almost always competitive. I know I keep harping on this but AD's window of being the force we're used to is closing. This isn't a typical rebuild. I'm not downplaying the importance of defense but drafting defenders in rounds 1-3 is not going to make us Seattle. And just like QB none of those picks are guaranteed to pan out. Add 2-3 younger pieces in FA and new coaches, along with another year of experience for Floyd, Rhodes, Mauti (hearing he could be good), Smith...they could be decent. Decent D, top 10 QB with Peterson, awesome special teams...could compete with anybody.

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    ...so what I'm saying is I have no problem with them giving up several good picks ASSUMING that they really feel good that one of these guys can be a top 10 QB. If not, then yes keep working at that D.

tarkenton10 is online now Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Totally disagree. Defense wasn't great but those losses were all on the offense. Game on the line, we simply need to get a first down or a score and they gave the ball back time and time again. Outside of the Ravens game, it's the offenses fault. All of our remaining 4 last mins loses were on the offense.
    I see your point but the D has to stop the opponent when they have the lead. Most experts would say the D failed not the O but I would say both are to blame at a 60/40 split.

I say we need a QB and draft one with the 8th pick if Bortles or Manziel are there. But if Bortles or Manziel aren't there you have to take the BPA and draft Mettenberger with the second round pick. IMO Mettenberger is not that far below Bridgewater and he may actually have more upside. He is bigger and has a stronger arm, can he make the leap to the NFL is the question? But it isn't that the question of all the QBs in this draft.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan620 View Post
    The defense was so bad because they were exhausted from being in the field for an average of 40 minutes a game. Too many 3 and outs by the offense. You can't put even the best defenses in those situations. No the defense didn't play great but they would have at least hada chance if they could catcha breath between series
    This was a contributing factor. The Vikings were third to last in time of possession last year with an average of 28:28 minutes per game. But it wasn't because the Vikings had a lot of three and outs - they actually didn't. They would put together some drives, and were actually tied for 13th for points per game last year, and we were middle of the pack for first downs with 19.3. The offense - as ugly as it was - moved the ball and scored last year. I can't find a stat for average time in an offensive series, but I would be willing to bet that it was right in the middle of the pack as well, if not better. We were not a quick scoring offense, that's for sure.

The defense was on the field so much because they couldn't stop anybody.

We had the worst third down percentage against in the league last year at 44%. And we were tied for second worst for number of 1st per game against, with 23.0/game.

Our D couldn't get anyone off the field.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I see your point but the D has to stop the opponent when they have the lead. Most experts would say the D failed not the O but I would say both are to blame at a 60/40 split.

I say we need a QB and draft one with the 8th pick if Bortles or Manziel are there. But if Bortles or Manziel aren't there you have to take the BPA and draft Mettenberger with the second round pick. IMO Mettenberger is not that far below Bridgewater and he may actually have more upside. He is bigger and has a stronger arm, can he make the leap to the NFL is the question? But it isn't that the question of all the QBs in this draft.
    Totally, on the BPA take and Offense vs. Defense. Both Failed many times. I'd even give it more of a 50/50. Here's the deal breaker: The offense got yards that they then turned over without scoring, and the defense gave them turnovers that led to scores.

I don't think anybody has yet mentioned the biggest stat of all in determining most games outcomes; usually considered to be the Turnover Differential. We were 28th in the league, NEGATIVE 12!?! D'oh!!!! In comparison, SEA was best at +20.

5th worst fumbles lost: 13
    10th worst INTs tossed: 19
    Total TOs: 32

Total Take-aways = 20. 12 INTs and 8 Fumble Recoveries.

I like Mettenberger too. He definitely has the size, and I like that he showed significant progress with a year of NFL level coaching from Cameron. The blown ACL isn't a terrible thing if we're thinking about sitting our young QB behind a vet for a year anyway.

I'm curious why you don't mention Bridgewater? Are you assuming he will be gone, or not interested in him at no. 8?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

[QUOTE=mountainviking;1152139]Totally, on the BPA take and Offense vs. Defense. Both Failed many times. I'd even give it more of a 50/50. Here's the deal breaker: The offense got yards that they then turned over without scoring, and the defense gave them turnovers that led to scores.

I don't think anybody has yet mentioned the biggest stat of all in determining most games outcomes; usually considered to be the Turnover Differential. We were 28th in the league, NEGATIVE 12!?! D'oh!!!! In comparison, SEA was best at +20.

I like Mettenberger too. He definitely has the size, and I like that he showed significant progress with a year of NFL level coaching from Cameron. The blown ACL isn't a terrible thing if we're thinking about sitting our young QB behind a vet for a year anyway.

I'm curious why you don't mention Bridgewater? Are you assuming he will be gone, or not interested in him at no. 8?[/QUOTE]

I don't like Bridgewater, I know he is the most NFL ready but I also think he doesn't have much upside. You are going to get what you get with him from the start. I think he may be a very good QB but that is about it. I also am very weary of his size, he appears to be very slim and I am not sure how he'll take the pounding in the NFL. I know he listed at 6' 2" and 205 but I want to see his stats at the combine, I am guessing he is about 195. I also don't like his release point, very low and that concerns me. I do have to say that after the combine I have changed my mind on several players over the years. I have changed my mind this year about Manziel, I didn't want him at the beginning of this year but his play won me over, so we will see.
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 02-19-2014 at 12:01 PM.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Totally, on the BPA take and Offense vs. Defense. Both Failed many times. I'd even give it more of a 50/50. Here's the deal breaker: The offense got yards that they then turned over without scoring, and the defense gave them turnovers that led to scores.

I'm curious why you don't mention Bridgewater? Are you assuming he will be gone, or not interested in him at no. 8?

Right with ya there, the only reason I gave a little more on the D was they had a chance to close it out. Stop the opposing O in the last two minutes, most Defenses have to do that in the NFL to win. And if they had stopped the opposing team at least once or twice I would say 50/50 but they were 0-4. That is a bad D, that they couldn't salvage one win out of four opportunities.

Why a QB @ 8might not be the best move

The consensus , and I agree BPA at 8 no QB worth it will be there. And please no trade up .
    None

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    There is a lot that can happen between now and when the Vikings go on the clock. I can think of only one situation for us to trade up, and that is if one of the big 3 QBs is still on the board when the Falcons (@#6) draft. I can see us trading our #8, a third and a fourth for the #6 spot, for one of the three, to take that last QB from the Buccs @7.

The thing is, I can see the Texans trading the #1 pick to either the Jags (#3) or the Browns (#4) to get a Rams/Redskins type trade. The Jags seem to be the club mostlikely to do the trade, IMO, and that trade changes a LOT. It is really a "no way to lose" situation for the Texans, because trading back to spots 3-5 will still net them a top QB, plus a large number of GOOD draft picks.

I also see the Rams trading back, unless Clowney is on the board at #2. I know that he isn't on anyone's radar in going to Atlanta, but the dude is a stud and WILL be a game-changer for someone. The Falcons need OL help, but a better defense is going to be the hot fad for this draft due to the Seahawks, and that will make everyone readjust their expectations.

Why do I mention all this? With people looking to trade down, the price for trading up might be low enough for us to do just that. Only time will tell.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast