Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    if the draft were to be held today, the Vikings could find themselves either a) "reaching" for a quarterback at the top of the first round or b) giving up a ridiculous amount of capital to move up and acquire one.

Both of those approaches could prove to be disastrous
    Not finding a quarterback will be equally disastrous.
    Last edited by smegmavike; 02-18-2014 at 08:41 AM.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    I dont see us moving up either, there is some talk about moving back and gaining some picks..

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Not finding a quarterback will be equally disastrous.
    If one of the top 3 QBs is available at 8, I would be OK with the pick. If not, and we go a different route, I would be OK too.

Why? Because while we absolutely have issues at QB, believe it or not QB was not our biggest problem. It doesn't seem like it because the games were painful to watch, but we actually put points on the board. It was our absolutely horrible defense that cost us most of those games.

We need to take the best player available at #8 that satisfies a need for the Vikings. The only position I don't want to see us address at 8 is OT. That leaves a lot of players up there, and more than likely one or more of them will be available. Here is my top 7, in order, for who I would like to see the Vikings draft at 8:

1 Teddy Bridgewater QB
    2 Blake Bortles QB
    3 Johnny Manziel QB
    4 Khalil Mack OLB
    5 Darqueze Dennard CB
    6 Anthony Barr OLB
    7 Sammy Watkins WR

Now I realize that there is a possibility that all seven of those players are gone at 8. Not a big one, but it is possible. If that is the case then I hope slick Rick trades down into the second half of the first round, and maybe targets someone like Carr. I hope we do not get Garoppolo - the velocity on his passes makes me think of Ponder 2.0.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    If one of the top 3 QBs is available at 8, I would be OK with the pick. If not, and we go a different route, I would be OK too.

Why? Because while we absolutely have issues at QB, believe it or not QB was not our biggest problem. It doesn't seem like it because the games were painful to watch, but we actually put points on the board. It was our absolutely horrible defense that cost us most of those games.

We need to take the best player available at #8 that satisfies a need for the Vikings. The only position I don't want to see us address at 8 is OT. That leaves a lot of players up there, and more than likely one or more of them will be available. Here is my top 7, in order, for who I would like to see the Vikings draft at 8:

1 Teddy Bridgewater QB
    2 Blake Bortles QB
    3 Johnny Manziel QB
    4 Khalil Mack OLB
    5 Darqueze Dennard CB
    6 Anthony Barr OLB
    7 Sammy Watkins WR

Now I realize that there is a possibility that all seven of those players are gone at 8. Not a big one, but it is possible. If that is the case then I hope slick Rick trades down into the second half of the first round, and maybe targets someone like Carr. I hope we do not get Garoppolo - the velocity on his passes makes me think of Ponder 2.0.
    Totally disagree. Defense wasn't great but those losses were all on the offense. Game on the line, we simply need to get a first down or a score and they gave the ball back time and time again. Outside of the Ravens game, it's the offenses fault. All of our remaining 4 last mins loses were on the offense.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Totally disagree. Defense wasn't great but those losses were all on the offense. Game on the line, we simply need to get a first down or a score and they gave the ball back time and time again. Outside of the Ravens game, it's the offenses fault. All of our remaining 4 last mins loses were on the offense.
    Completely disagree. Defense was one of the worst in Vikings history.

Game on the line we simply need to stop the other team from driving the length of the field and scoring in the last minute of the game. There were times where our offense put points on the board with less than 2 minutes to gain the lead only to have it given up by the defense on the next drive to lose the game.

Defense is still relevant in the NFL. And as we saw once again in the SB, when push comes to shove, a dominant defense usually beats a dominant offense.

Rage4Order is offline Rookie
    I agree with tasty, our defense was atrocious this past season. I believe our offense was ranked 13th in scoring. (if I remember right.). Defense on other hand was bottom of the barrel, bottom 5. I see our biggest need to be some DEFENSE, DT, LB, DB's. Yes we do need a quarterback, but I think we can find one later in rds 2-3. Not sold on any of these QBs.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Last year's defense was the second worst the Vikings ever put on the field... only the '84 defense was worst. EVER.

The offense left the game to the defense 5 times (I believe) with less than 2 minutes on the clock with the lead. Stop them here, we win...they gave it up every time except once. My numbers could be a little off...but only a little.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

The defense was so bad because they were exhausted from being in the field for an average of 40 minutes a game. Too many 3 and outs by the offense. You can't put even the best defenses in those situations. No the defense didn't play great but they would have at least hada chance if they could catcha breath between series

At #8 they need to Draft best defensive player on the board. Mack,Barr,Gilbert, or Mosley would be a huge improvement..... The QB I believe would be a solid pick would be David Fales in the late 3rd early 4th... I like his mechanics,arm strength and above average accuracy. Sign Cassel and let Fales learn for a year.. If you haven't watched any tape on him, please do so it won't disappoint

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast