Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54
  1. #41
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Does the name Todd Marinovich ring a bell?
    He doesn't have all the red flags TM had. He has had no drug issues (that we know of). He was not driven to be a football star by his father and from what I have seen and heard really loves the game. Again, maybe he is the next TM, drafting a franchise QB is never easy or every team would have one. I like this kid, if we are taking a QB I hope we draft him and he is flying up many draft boards as we type. Some now have him in the bottom of the first round and by draft day he could be the first QB off the board.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  2. #42
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    He doesn't have all the red flags TM had. He has had no drug issues (that we know of). He was not driven to be a football star by his father and from what I have seen and heard really loves the game. Again, maybe he is the next TM, drafting a franchise QB is never easy or every team would have one. I like this kid, if we are taking a QB I hope we draft him and he is flying up many draft boards as we type. Some now have him in the bottom of the first round and by draft day he could be the first QB off the board.
    Well, to be honest nobody has identical red flags but there are lots of ways to crap out in the league, that is all I am saying. The media hype machine builds these guys up to generate revenue for their companies and then if they fail they get to make money on their fall from grace. Yeah, it's tough picking winners and losers. No doubt about it.


    What do I want in a QB? Besides the tangibles, I want to know how they handle losing. Do they take it well like Ponder and Frazier? If so I don't want them.

    Show me a guy like Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Wilson who hate to lose and do everything they can to make sure if they do get beat that it doesn't happen again. That is a tough one because we as fans never get that side of a player but the GM should be able to see that and look for it.

  3. #43
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Well, to be honest nobody has identical red flags but there are lots of ways to crap out in the league, that is all I am saying. The media hype machine builds these guys up to generate revenue for their companies and then if they fail they get to make money on their fall from grace. Yeah, it's tough picking winners and losers. No doubt about it.


    What do I want in a QB? Besides the tangibles, I want to know how they handle losing. Do they take it well like Ponder and Frazier? If so I don't want them.

    Show me a guy like Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Wilson who hate to lose and do everything they can to make sure if they do get beat that it doesn't happen again. That is a tough one because we as fans never get that side of a player but the GM should be able to see that and look for it.
    I can't say for sure if he hates to lose but I can say he commands the offense and know how to run the two minute drill. Watch the end of the Louisville game. He drove them down calmly and coolly and threw a great pass for the go ahead score. He never seemed panicked and had everyone around him on the same page.

    I am going to predict he will be the second qb off the board when all is said and done. If he plays well against Baylor in their bowl game he will start to get national attention and you will start to get more info so you can make a better more informed decision about him.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  4. #44
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I can't say for sure if he hates to lose but I can say he commands the offense and know how to run the two minute drill. Watch the end of the Louisville game. He drove them down calmly and coolly and threw a great pass for the go ahead score. He never seemed panicked and had everyone around him on the same page.

    I am going to predict he will be the second qb off the board when all is said and done. If he plays well against Baylor in their bowl game he will start to get national attention and you will start to get more info so you can make a better more informed decision about him.
    Tark, assuming we pick at 5 or higher this year, give me the order of the first 5 guys you would take if you were picking for MN. Don't worry about who might pick who ahead of us, just want to see your wish list in order. I haven't dove into it much yet, but looks like you have been.

    Bridgewater and Clowney are the popular top two, but a lot of divergence after that.

    I've seen a few mock drafts that have 5-6 QB's going in the top 10, seems a bit far fetched, but there is a lot of need if the candidates are deemed worthy (Bridgewater, Carr, Hundley, Bortles, Manziel). And Mariota would have been in that mix as well if he came out. That's before you get to the likes of Mettenberg/McCarron/Murray...... Personally I think the QB group is going to move all over the place between now and draft day, but it does appear to be the deepest draft for QB's that I can remember. New trend for colleges developing NFL worthy QB's? Hopefully they can eventually wash out the extreme disparity currently being seen in the NFL at QB.

  5. #45
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Tark, assuming we pick at 5 or higher this year, give me the order of the first 5 guys you would take if you were picking for MN. Don't worry about who might pick who ahead of us, just want to see your wish list in order. I haven't dove into it much yet, but looks like you have been.


    Bridgewater and Clowney are the popular top two, but a lot of divergence after that.

    I've seen a few mock drafts that have 5-6 QB's going in the top 10, seems a bit far fetched, but there is a lot of need if the candidates are deemed worthy (Bridgewater, Carr, Hundley, Bortles, Manziel). And Mariota would have been in that mix as well if he came out. That's before you get to the likes of Mettenberg/McCarron/Murray...... Personally I think the QB group is going to move all over the place between now and draft day, but it does appear to be the deepest draft for QB's that I can remember. New trend for colleges developing NFL worthy QB's? Hopefully they can eventually wash out the extreme disparity currently being seen in the NFL at QB.
    I'll be honest with you and I have just been taking in this college football season, so many good games. I really haven't looked and broken down height, weight, speed, team needs, so many things before the draft. Just from what I have seen at the QB pos. I would say if we want Bortles we should move down right now. I do think he will end up the second QB off the board come draft day. I think Bridgewater will the first Qb to go.

    If I had to give you five names right now in order of importance IMO to the team.

    Blake Bortles, he may fly up the board and we may have to take him at 6. I hope he flies under the radar and we can trade down to get him. He has all the intangibles that I look for in a QB.

    Louis Nix, he is a run stuffer we have needed since Phat Pat.

    Anthony Barr, we will need some pressure on the QB with JA gone after this year

    Khalil Mack, Fits a need and is a playmaker on D.

    Darqueze Dennard, great cover guy but how is his competition, he played in the BIG.

    If you asked me right now and I had to give you an answer these are the guys I would like to have. By the time the draft comes it may be a totally different list. You also have to take into account that we may want to trade down for some of these players. Six may be too high when the draft rolls around, I think Bortles will be up there though come the month of May.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  6. #46
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I'll be honest with you and I have just been taking in this college football season, so many good games. I really haven't looked and broken down height, weight, speed, team needs, so many things before the draft. Just from what I have seen at the QB pos. I would say if we want Bortles we should move down right now. I do think he will end up the second QB off the board come draft day. I think Bridgewater will the first Qb to go.

    If I had to give you five names right now in order of importance IMO to the team.

    Blake Bortles, he may fly up the board and we may have to take him at 6. I hope he flies under the radar and we can trade down to get him. He has all the intangibles that I look for in a QB.

    Louis Nix, he is a run stuffer we have needed since Phat Pat.

    Anthony Barr, we will need some pressure on the QB with JA gone after this year

    Khalil Mack, Fits a need and is a playmaker on D.

    Darqueze Dennard, great cover guy but how is his competition, he played in the BIG.

    If you asked me right now and I had to give you an answer these are the guys I would like to have. By the time the draft comes it may be a totally different list. You also have to take into account that we may want to trade down for some of these players. Six may be too high when the draft rolls around, I think Bortles will be up there though come the month of May.
    Couple sample recent mock's:
    2014 NFL Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

    Rob Rang
    #1-Bridgewater (houston)
    #4- Carr (Vikings)
    #6- Manziel (jacsonville)
    #7-Bortles (cleveland) -- rising fast --Fiesta Bowl will be big for his stock

    Dane Bugler
    #1-Bridgewater
    #4- Manziel
    #6 - Carr
    #7 - Bortles

    2014 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

    #1-Bridgewater (houston)
    #2-Clowney (vikings)
    #5 - Carr (J'ville)
    #6 - Hundley (Cleveland)
    #7 - Manziel (Oakland)

    --They didn't put Bortles on their list since he hasn't declared yet, otherwise they would have them as their 2nd QB

    QBs aplenty in Schrager's 2014 NFL Mock Draft, 1.0 | FOX Sports on MSN
    #1 Bridgewater (Houston)
    #2 Hundley (J'Ville)
    #6 Carr (Vikings)
    #11 Manziel (jets)
    #13 Boyd (titans) --most mocks have Boyd in the 2nd round at this point

    This will be a hard draft to pass up a QB with the first pick. Clowney or Barr might make you hesitate, but it looks like QB will be a popular pick in the first round.

  7. #47
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Couple sample recent mock's:
    2014 NFL Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

    Rob Rang
    #1-Bridgewater (houston)
    #4- Carr (Vikings)
    #6- Manziel (jacsonville)
    #7-Bortles (cleveland) -- rising fast --Fiesta Bowl will be big for his stock

    Dane Bugler
    #1-Bridgewater
    #4- Manziel
    #6 - Carr
    #7 - Bortles

    2014 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

    #1-Bridgewater (houston)
    #2-Clowney (vikings)
    #5 - Carr (J'ville)
    #6 - Hundley (Cleveland)
    #7 - Manziel (Oakland)

    --They didn't put Bortles on their list since he hasn't declared yet, otherwise they would have them as their 2nd QB

    QBs aplenty in Schrager's 2014 NFL Mock Draft, 1.0 | FOX Sports on MSN
    #1 Bridgewater (Houston)
    #2 Hundley (J'Ville)
    #6 Carr (Vikings)
    #11 Manziel (jets)
    #13 Boyd (titans) --most mocks have Boyd in the 2nd round at this point

    This will be a hard draft to pass up a QB with the first pick. Clowney or Barr might make you hesitate, but it looks like QB will be a popular pick in the first round.
    I agree that it will be hard to pass up a QB. I think we are going to be 3-12-1, we won't beat the Eagles, Bengals or Lions. Although we have a shot at the Lions IMO at home. We should have a shot at Bortles unless he tears up the bowl game and has all the measurable at the combine. I am pretty sure he will do well in the interviews, We shall see. I do not want Clowney he looks like a bust at this point. Not that I have been right all the time, Keuchley out of BC really surprised me.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  8. #48
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    587
    Just out of curiousity, does anyone expect anything from next year's draft besides a QB and tons of defense (LBs in particular)? WRs are good, RBs are golden, and we have 2 good TEs. Our OL was supposed to be one of the best, but their failures could be more the QB they are protecting than the lack of ability.

    One more CB, 2-4 LBs and a QB is what I am expecting/hoping for... or am I midding something?

    Oh, can you get a new coach from the draft?
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  9. #49
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Just out of curiousity, does anyone expect anything from next year's draft besides a QB and tons of defense (LBs in particular)? WRs are good, RBs are golden, and we have 2 good TEs. Our OL was supposed to be one of the best, but their failures could be more the QB they are protecting than the lack of ability.

    One more CB, 2-4 LBs and a QB is what I am expecting/hoping for... or am I midding something?

    Oh, can you get a new coach from the draft?
    QB and corner should be at the top in terms of need. DT is right up there as well, especially if KW isn't resigned.

    Others: replacement for Toby if he leaves (later round pick), LG, DE if JA leaves if not to start than for depth.

    I would not expect 2-4 LB's. Maybe one, but if not in the first few rounds then he just gets added to the stable of development LB's already on the roster.

  10. #50
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    QB and CB should be our first two picks, although not necessarily in that order.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •