Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Well the only team with a shot at Clowney and Nix both is the Rams if they get two top ten selections.

People may not be the biggest fans of it, but I'm warming up more and more to the thought of Manziel. He has a lot of stuff to work on, but his poise in the pocket and ability to keep his eyes downfield are top notch. Like really good. He's a bit of an improviser a la Romo, but that's kind of what we've been missing since Ponder arrived. Bridgewater is still a better prospect but the gap isn't enormous IMO.

If there isn't a QB the front office is a fan of, then on defense just take either Barr, Clowney or trade back a bit and grab Nix. Barr would probably be my favourite of that group. Less physically gifted but more of a gamer than Clowney. Either one would be a great fit.

A lot depends on who our head coach is come draft day. My favourite would probably be Mike Zimmer. I think our personnel (especially with Barr) would fit an aggressive 4-3 defense really well and he's had a good one in Cincinatti.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    As for coaching, what do you think about running Peterson through Kubiak's zone blocking scheme!?? It worked for whoever the RB was in Denver, and Houston, and if we can just find him a better QB than Ponder and Schaub, I think he'd have a real good chance at success.

At the moment, we'd be the 5th pick of the draft. But we could go up or down too...all 4 of the teams we have to play are still in the playoff conversation, could be tough to get a win, but my gut tells me we steal 1 or 2 W's out of the last 4 games.

If that happens we'll probably be picking between, oh aboot 7 and ten, and I really don't want us to reach for the next best QB again (ala Ponder) if the pickings are getting slim. Good chance we'd be better off grabbing a defender like Nix and then looking through the QB leftovers later. Bridgewater and Manziel top the list, but Hundley, Boyd, McCarron and Mettenberger all have good potential too, and there will most likely be a couple of them left on the board at our pick in the top ten of the 2nd round.

Besides, the big strong guys who can move tend to be very rare, and it might be best to get that type of game changer in the top ten while we have the chance!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

johnkdbr is offline Training Camp
    I'm thinking this would be the perfect 2014 for the Vikiings. Pick up Jay Cutler, LB, CB in FA. Then resign Kevin Williams to a 1 year deal.(I think he has another year in the tank.) Draft a DE or DT in first round, LB or CB in 2nd & pick up a QB prospect in the 3rd. I am still scratching my head wondering why the vikings didn''t trade Gearhardt or J allen or both for extra draft picks. Anyway I think Cutler with AP, Jennings, Patterson & Rudolph could get us to or close to the promise land.

6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    GB does not have AP or Cordelle Patterson either. Any ape could hand off the ball to AP, and Dilfer could easily complete passes to Patterson. Well, any ape except Ponder that is.

I think the draft is going to be deep for 2nd/3rd round QBs, and I have no problem getting one there if the guy we really want is gone. Unlike many people here, I really don't see a "overall #1 pick" QB in this year's draft; Luck AND RGIII were both that, but is Bridgewater really as good as either of those 2 blokes?

Now, temper THOSE comments with the knowledge that I really don't watch too much college FB; but last year in the championship game, a LOT of people were saying McCarron didn't want his girlfriend to do photo shoots or interviews because he was jealous that she, in the end, would be more famous than he will EVER be. That last due to his talent level...has he got THAT much better this year?

I don't know a lot about Bridgewater besides one game I watched, and though it was a good game, I didn't see "#1 draft pick for sure!!" written all over his play. If you all are sure he is a lock (as much as anyone can SAY he is a lock), I won't argue; but getting more defense at this point isn't a horrible idea.
    This is by far the most accurate look at what lay's ahead in the upcoming draft,by the way I watch the crap out of College Football. There is NO ELITE/Start and make a huge impact QB in this upcoming draft. Having said that, every year people talk about a great college QB. The difference this year is they are are only great at the College level. This class of QB's are ALL a "project" to become better than average NFL QB's. We can pick up a QB in the draft but none will make a run at Rookie of the Year. We do need players who can play D. Teams with a great D for the most part stay and compete in every game. Sure we need a better QB, but they are not out there. Simply playing QB in college does not produce many Great QB's. That is why when it does happen it is a sensation that grabs all the NFL. Draft Defense.

"VICTORY IS MINE!"

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    You are mistaken they played Clemson last week. They beat them and had to hope Mizzou would lose to get into the SEC championship game.
    Totally right. I was thinking NC State. Not sure how I got them confused.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by 6-KINGS View Post
    This is by far the most accurate look at what lay's ahead in the upcoming draft,by the way I watch the crap out of College Football. There is NO ELITE/Start and make a huge impact QB in this upcoming draft. Having said that, every year people talk about a great college QB. The difference this year is they are are only great at the College level. This class of QB's are ALL a "project" to become better than average NFL QB's. We can pick up a QB in the draft but none will make a run at Rookie of the Year. We do need players who can play D. Teams with a great D for the most part stay and compete in every game. Sure we need a better QB, but they are not out there. Simply playing QB in college does not produce many Great QB's. That is why when it does happen it is a sensation that grabs all the NFL. Draft Defense.
    I disagree,
    I believe that 2 of the Qbs in this draft are elite Qbs.

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

Why not go Defense with our first pick?

We need to draft a DE, CB, or LB in the first round and draft a QB in the second or third round and sign Vick and see if the rookie QB can beat him out you gave freeman 3mills just for one game or sign Cutler but we need some defense playmakers

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkdbr View Post
    The more I think about it if we can't get Bridgwater then we go Defense with our first pick and grab DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina. This guy is a game changer. Then we grab a DT(Louis Nix III) with our 2nd pick. With the money we get by not signing J Allen or K Williams we can go after a LB & CB in Free Agency.
    Plus think about this...If we don't get Bridwater we can trade back one or two spots to a team that needs a QB & still get Clowney. With the right moves we could be the Chiefs of 2014.
    I am not convinced that any of the QBs coming out in this draft are going to be difference makers, or that the 1st guy is significantly better than the 5th guy. As bad as the defense has been this season, I'm pretty sure the best choice in the 1st round will be defense, and maybe the 2nd round as well. Haven't seen Nix play, but sounds like the size we need to stick next to Floyd. Not sure I want Clowney...talent undeniable but worry he'll be a real head case. We still need LB and CB help desperately, should be able to re-sign either Griffen or Allen to be the DE opposite Robison (assuming we stick with 4-3).
    SKOL VIKINGS!

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Looks like we are back up to 4th pick in the draft. F'n Refs
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach
    I agree......even tough Jared Allen has quit - the Vikings need some defensive lineman - #1 priority. You cant lose both Kevin Williams & Jared Allen wihout a reasonable replacemnet. QB is not an issue. Hell - Cutler, Schaub, Vick, .......how many others will be available before the end of the year. Peterson is still under contract and you have the option of franchising Gerhart....defense is the #1 priority.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast