Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why not CB?

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Well, back to the original question, we can't afford any of the decent FA CBs, we've already spent our load. And sure, it sounds good now to restructure KWill and/or JA's contracts, but it really only pushes off the inevitable...eventually, all those dollars will count against our cap. Which, will hurt us down the road. Teams always need another good draft so that they have some cheaper components that are producing as part of the team's cap space.

But, What do ya'all think the percent chance is of a 1st round draft pick working out as planned? Not necessarily superstar status, but at least 3-5 years of mostly consistent production...somebody who adequately fills a spot for multiple years, leaving you to focus future rescources elsewhere...? 65%? Less? I want to say less, but it seems like it should be higher!??

So, let's say, 65%, and obviously, your chances go down each round...lets say,

1st round 65%, 2nd round 55%, 3rd round 45%, 4th round 30%, 5th round 20%, 15,10,5%???? I bet those numbers aren't too far off NFL wide. What do ya think?

So, as far as WRs vs. CBs, I'm suggesting that 4th round and lower don't count cuz there's way less than 50% chance they stick with the team past their rookie contract. If we compare those numbers, defining early picks as 1-3 rounds, over the past ten years, we've drafted 4 WRs, 5 if you count Kyle Rudolf. Burleson was lost during the Hutch poison pill offseason, but would have been better than anybody else we had many years. Williamson hardly needs mention as does Harvin, for obvious opposite reasons. Rice was great for one year, so doesn't really count as a success story here either. Success rate? 2 of 4

We've drafted 6 CBs and 2 safeties in the first 3 rounds over that same time. Of all 8 DBs, I would only call Cedric Griffen, Robinson and Smith successes under the above definition, and 2 of them were rookies this past year that I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and crossing my fingers for. That's a dismal 3 of 8 success rate for the top three rounds of the draft. We really need to nail one correct pick at CB and, have Cook find a way to stay on the field.

But, as much as I love defense, anybody thinking we don't still need WR help and early should remember that we basically swapped Harvin for Jennings, leaving us roughly equal to where we were last year, as the 31st, as in 2nd worst, passing attack in the NFL.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    When listening to Frazier's interview from Pelissereo, you get a feel that there are a number of positions that the Vikings will be looking to address on defense (sorry Kevon).

This includes CB, MLB, and probably DT. Hints that Kevin might be in his last year, and they haven't seen enough from the other DT's to feel comfortable we have a replacement. CB is an area where he is very uncomfortable. Would like to see Winfield back, but that is probably a long shot. Expect to see a number of additional roster additions to try and improve corner. He's not real comfortable with any of our current corners.

MLB he straight out says they will be looking to the draft to improve this position from last year a and then throws out or FA.

I'm sure WR is on the top of their list as well, but BPA will no doubt weigh largely in to their selections.

One other note. I think he feels fairly comfortable at safety. Mostly due to Jamarca's improved play who he has penciled in as the starter and recent contract at $2.5M per year. I don't expect this to be a targeted position, but will look to Mistral and Blanton to push Sanford.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    When listening to Frazier's interview from Pelissereo, you get a feel that there are a number of positions that the Vikings will be looking to address on defense (sorry Kevon).

This includes CB, MLB, and probably DT. Hints that Kevin might be in his last year, and they haven't seen enough from the other DT's to feel comfortable we have a replacement. CB is an area where he is very uncomfortable. Would like to see Winfield back, but that is probably a long shot. Expect to see a number of additional roster additions to try and improve corner. He's not real comfortable with any of our current corners.

MLB he straight out says they will be looking to the draft to improve this position from last year a and then throws out or FA.

I'm sure WR is on the top of their list as well, but BPA will no doubt weigh largely in to their selections.

One other note. I think he feels fairly comfortable at safety. Mostly due to Jamarca's improved play who he has penciled in as the starter and recent contract at $2.5M per year. I don't expect this to be a targeted position, but will look to Mistral and Blanton to push Sanford.
    You can't listen too close to what he says before the draft because he may just be throwing up smoke screens. We needed WR and CB just as bad last year as this year or worse and he was talking about taking one or the other with their pick and they took a LT instead of trading a bit farther back and getting multiple picks and one of the needs. You never know what we will take until we pick.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    You can't listen too close to what he says before the draft because he may just be throwing up smoke screens. We needed WR and CB just as bad last year as this year or worse and he was talking about taking one or the other with their pick and they took a LT instead of trading a bit farther back and getting multiple picks and one of the needs. You never know what we will take until we pick.
    True dat. It's always about the players available and how our team grades them. But I do feel he was being sincere in his concerns over those positions. Doesn't mean he will get any help though.

I think we needed a LT as well last year and it was a pretty safe pick. It takes a village to hide Pon.., I mean to build a championship.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, we needed a lot of things last year as we do this year. Hopefully we will fix another two of them with the 2 -1st round picks. If we could fix the MLB and then either CB,WR or DL that would be great. But then again ND might have another TE for us at that spot and you know we can't pass on them.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    No you didn't. You said:

Well, we could have picked a WR as high in the draft last year as we wanted but we took a OL instead. Seems at the time everyone said that bringing in Kalil would give Ponder and the WR's more time and they would look better. I could dig it up. Bit I digress- We have taken as many CB's at roughly the same spots as we have taken WR's. If we go back as you say we can go back to 98 and look at Moss, 2005 and look at Williamson and then show me a CB that was taken in the past 15 years as high as Moss, Williamson and Harvin. When you do your research get back to me.
    Actually I said...

"The problem wasn't defense last year. It was offense. I am tired of dumping high draft pick after high draft pick on CBs. After a while you have to let your young talent develop and not bury them on the depth chart."

But why let facts get in your way.
    Btw! my defination of a high draft choice is round 1-3.
    The number of picks we have allocated to Cbs in round 1 - 3 far outweights the number we allocated to Wrs.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post

I feel like the LB issue was self created. Our current LB was average to good at time. Why get rid of him with no backup. The draft is so fluid. What is Teo and Ogletree go before 23 ( probably won't happen but who knows for certain) then we are selecting a starter from scraps...or even worse.......reaching.....just like we did at #12 two years ago. I think these are situation that good teams try to avoid. A players replacement should be on roster when let him walk or cut him in my opinion. No matter what film you have on Teo or any player, coaches have no idea what that player truly is like.

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I don't really see what you are saying. Neither CB or WR have really been addressed in the early rounds. Harvin was a first round pick in 2009 and Cook was a very early second round pick in 2010. Both were successful picks IMHO.

Other than that we had Asher Allen and Josh Robinson picked in the third. Allen didn't pan out, and it's still early for Robinson, but he is looking decent. On the flip side, we had Wright and Childs in the 4th. Childs doesn't look like he is going to turn out, and it's still early for Wright, but he is looking decent.

So in the first two rounds we have spent the same number of picks in each position (1 each) and both have worked out well. In the third and forth rounds we have spent the same number of picks in each position (2 each) and they are hitting around 50%.

I see the need to address both early in the draft this year.
    I count high picks as rounds 1-3. These picks should generate starters for most teams (obviously pick 32 of round 3 might be a stretch while pick 1 of round 3 could be viewed as pick 33 of round 2.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    If Trufant is still around for us in the first round I would definitely be okay with taking him. Sounds crazy but if that doesn't happen and Winfield signs elsewhere...would anyone consider bringing in Woodson to play in Winfield's role?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234