Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why not CB?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Why not CB?

Who the hell knows when the team will find the right guy. It will happen when it happens and until then they will do the best they can with what they have.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    The problem wasn't defense last year. It was offense. I am tired of dumping high draft pick after high draft pick on CBs. After a while you have to let your young talent develop and not bury them on the depth chart.

We have Cook, Robinson, AJ Jefferson and Blankton. How is adding another young corner going to make us better at this point. Personally, I would like to add a playmaking safety. I know Sanford and Raymond played well but adding a Reid play with smith, would be amazing. Also this draft is weak at corner.

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I don't think finding a damn good MLB is as easy as you or he say. Even your source tends to contradict himself;

Of those 8 on the list, how many are MLB's? Greenway isn't playing MLB. Even if you include all 8, you're still spanning 9 years of the draft to find them. Less than 1 per year.

Vilma was drafted in 2004 with the 12th pick. Greenway was taken with the 17th pick in 2006. We have pick number 23, so if a stud MLB prospect is out there, chances are he'll be gone at #23.
    I was going after the point of NFL readiness for MLB's. Bringing up the point that quality LB's and middle LB'ers can come in and be very productive even in their rookie years. It's an easier position to project and to get production out of then positions like WR and QB.

The source was not really a source, just a post from some fan on some website. I was just too lazy to look it up for myself, I figured it would give you something to do to track down the accuracy of each person listed. It does list however, a number of guys who came in the league and were instantly productive. To reiterate, IMO, it is quite possible that we can upgrade the MLB position from last year with the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I was going after the point of NFL readiness for MLB's. Bringing up the point that quality LB's and middle LB'ers can come in and be very productive even in their rookie years. It's an easier position to project and to get production out of then positions like WR and QB.

The source was not really a source, just a post from some fan on some website. I was just too lazy to look it up for myself, I figured it would give you something to do to track down the accuracy of each person listed. It does list however, a number of guys who came in the league and were instantly productive. To reiterate, IMO, it is quite possible that we can upgrade the MLB position from last year with the draft.
    I think you guys are underplaying how well Brinkley played last year. He played so well in fact, the play calling was moved from Henderson to him during Henderson's injury and was not returned well after his returned. There were a couple of times where he was beaten with an fantastic throw over the middle and inbetween the safeties... Well so what? That's football! Just like another team can be lined up perfectly to stop Peterson and he makes a move and takes it to the house, there are some amazing Qbs that will make a throw that beats a defenses in place to stop them. Teo this season will not be an upgrade to Brinkley. In fact I see their talent levels as very similar!

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I think you guys are underplaying how well Brinkley played last year. He played so well in fact, the play calling was moved from Henderson to him during Henderson's injury and was not returned well after his returned. There were a couple of times where he was beaten with an fantastic throw over the middle and inbetween the safeties... Well so what? That's football! Just like another team can be lined up perfectly to stop Peterson and he makes a move and takes it to the house, there are some amazing Qbs that will make a throw that beats a defenses in place to stop them. Teo this season will not be an upgrade to Brinkley. In fact I see their talent levels as very similar!
    Brinkley was an average at best MLB. His coverage skills were horrible. Considering he was a 5th round draft pick, I think he has proven to be a solid pick at that point, but he's never been better than mediocre. The draft is a good place to look for a higher quality replacement.

Here's PFF's grading of his career and notice what they think of his pass coverage skills in 2012 where you say he played well:

In his first few years in Minnesota, Brinkley served as an understudy behind E.J. Henderson. He played only 184 snaps in 2009, with his -5.3 rating predictably dragged down by a -3.6 in coverage. In 2010, Brinkley played only 18 snaps, not close to enough to draw any meaningful statistical conclusions, and he missed the entire 2011 season due to hip surgery. In 2012, Brinkley played a starting role for the Vikings, seeing a career-high 872 snaps. But while his play against the run (-1.8) and on the pass rush (-1.1) wasn’t terrible, he proved to be a huge liability in pass coverage (-13.5, second-worst among ILBs behind only Rey Maualuga).
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-with-arizona/
    Last edited by tastywaves; 03-26-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    The problem wasn't defense last year. It was offense. I am tired of dumping high draft pick after high draft pick on CBs. After a while you have to let your young talent develop and not bury them on the depth chart.

We have Cook, Robinson, AJ Jefferson and Blankton. How is adding another young corner going to make us better at this point. Personally, I would like to add a playmaking safety. I know Sanford and Raymond played well but adding a Reid play with smith, would be amazing. Also this draft is weak at corner.
    It isn't like we haven't been burning draft picks on wide receivers.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Tastywaves said it best. Brinkley was also high up on the list of missed tackles among MLBs. That suonds to me like he made a lot of great plays against the run and a lot of mistakes. I think any of Te'o, Ogletree, Brown and Minter would be better in coverage immediately than Brinkley was. And likely against the run as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Brinkley was an average at best MLB. His coverage skills were horrible. Considering he was a 5th round draft pick, I think he has proven to be a solid pick at that point, but he's never been better than mediocre. The draft is a good place to look for a higher quality replacement.

Here's PFF's grading of his career and notice what they think of his pass coverage skills in 2012 where you say he played well:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-with-arizona/
    Not to doubt their credibility but....I don't remember not being able to stop anyone via the pass last season. Our defense played lights out for several quarters and in the 4th quarter of most games, we teams would come back Due to our offense not doing their jobs. If personally saw more completions on quick slants than anything else. Brinkley passed the eye ball test to me and Jefferson was my lame duck of 2012. However, with him being left to resign and this...maybe i have to go back and watch a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It isn't like we haven't been burning draft picks on wide receivers.
    Have we?
    We've drafted a cb ever year for a long time. Not so for Wr.
    2008 was the last time we didnt draft a cb. before that it was 2006.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Brinkley doesn't have the coverage skills in the cover 2 but could be pretty good in the right system. Just not a scheme fit here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast