Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why not CB?

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

Why not CB?

Why do we continue to sit on our *** and not go after some of these CB's that are available. I'm sick and tired of getting burned by some of these elite passers in a passing league. The CB market is deep this year in FA and we have some decent pieces already, but nothing that will blow anyone away or shut anyone down completely. With having to face Rodgers, Stafford, and Cutler twice a year each, we should be after some CB's.

Purple_Jesus is offline Starter
    It's the new cap BS. Why do you think nobody else is going after them either? Probably 25+ teams are struggling with their cap right now. We're one of the better off teams honestly, but at this point it would be a bad idea to sign one. I bet we go after one when the market cools down.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Our corners didn't play to bad against our division last season. We did go 4-2 against them elite passers. Yes I understand we lost Winfield but it is not the end of the world, we do still have Cook and Robinson who is getting better.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    Our corners didn't play to bad against our division last season. We did go 4-2 against them elite passers. Yes I understand we lost Winfield but it is not the end of the world, we do still have Cook and Robinson who is getting better.
    With Winfield & Brinkley both gone, I wonder how good our LB/CB corp will be at stopping the run & the pass. At this point, it sure as hell doesn't look like we improved it. More like downgraded it from where we were.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    With Winfield & Brinkley both gone, I wonder how good our LB/CB corp will be at stopping the run & the pass. At this point, it sure as hell doesn't look like we improved it. More like downgraded it from where we were.
    Winfield and Brinkley are both pretty replaceable through the draft. Especially Brinkley.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    It would be a fantastic year to build a solid defensive backfield, given all the available talent out there. It should also be reasonable, money wise, because of the number available. Unfortunately, after signing Jennings, who we desperately needed, there just is not enough money left to accomplish that. It seems there are a lot of teams in the same boat we are. Free agency is not quite the boon this year for players that it has been in the past.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Winfield and Brinkley are both pretty replaceable through the draft. Especially Brinkley.
    Eventually they may be. The question is when & for how long will they be here? How long have we been looking for good CB's so far? We are not having a ton of luck thru the draft.

Problem is, too many think filling voids with talented players is a simple as drafting a player, slapping him into the lineup & you're done. Generally, you need to go thru multiple players before finding a good one.

Again, the idea is to have replacements that are as good as the guy you are replacing before you get rid of the ones you have, not after the fact.

The MLB is a pretty big role & trying to find one that can start as a rookie & be great at it right out of the get go isn't easy. There the ones reading & calling what they are seeing on offense.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    The MLB is a pretty big role & trying to find one that can start as a rookie & be great at it right out of the get go isn't easy. There the ones reading & calling what they are seeing on offense.
    Good point singer. No matter how talented the player is, that is a lot to pick up in one year. If we do draft a MLB,(I don't know how we can avoid it), do you think they will put the play calling in Greenways hands for the first year? It has been done before on teams to make the adjustment easier.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Good point singer. No matter how talented the player is, that is a lot to pick up in one year. If we do draft a MLB,(I don't know how we can avoid it), do you think they will put the play calling in Greenways hands for the first year? It has been done before on teams to make the adjustment easier.
    Actually, I think LB is one of the easier position to project and to get immediate production. I did a quick search and found this post that lists a few recent draft picks for MLB.... (I did say it was a quick search)

Actually middle linebackers are easy to find, you have to be willing to sacrifice. Every year between 4 and 6 pass rushers are drafted in round 1, on average about 2 of them pan out very well, and 2 of them fail completely.

The last 10 mlb/ilbs that have been drafted in round 1:

Luke Kuechly (DROY)
    Donta Hightower (starter, but not great)
    Rolando Mclain (bust)
    Jerod Meyo (stud)
    Patrick Willis (stud)
    Lawrence Timmons (stud)
    Jon Beason (stud but injury problems)
    Chad Greenway (stud)
    Bobby Carpenter (bust)
    Jonathan Vilma (good)

2 outright busts, Hightower can't be projected yet and plays mostly SLB. Beason have run in to injury problems and Vilma is a douchenozzle but both are good players.

In the top of the 2nd round you have guys like Demeco Ryans, Paul Puslysny, Curtis Lofton, Dqwell Jackson, James Laurinaitis. If you want a MLB you find one worthy of a 1st round pick and you are pretty sure he will turn out to be a decent player, but there aren't many players like that. Taking a MLB in a lower round is a much worse proposition since LBs are so relatively easy to project.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Actually, I think LB is one of the easier position to project and to get immediate production. I did a quick search and found this post that lists a few recent draft picks for MLB.... (I did say it was a quick search)
    I don't think finding a damn good MLB is as easy as you or he say. Even your source tends to contradict himself;

If you want a MLB you find one worthy of a 1st round pick and you are pretty sure he will turn out to be a decent player, but there aren't many players like that.
    Of those 8 on the list, how many are MLB's? Greenway isn't playing MLB. Even if you include all 8, you're still spanning 9 years of the draft to find them. Less than 1 per year.

Vilma was drafted in 2004 with the 12th pick. Greenway was taken with the 17th pick in 2006. We have pick number 23, so if a stud MLB prospect is out there, chances are he'll be gone at #23.
    Last edited by singersp; 03-26-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast