people eater is offline Waterboy

Why my jersey is still in the closet

Wow, we got very lucky there on that muffed extra point. I've been a loyal Vikings fan for thirty one years now and I've been through my share, as have we all, with the team over the years, but this year has frustrated me more than any I can remember. Why? Well, I'll get into that in a bit, but as a result I've made a deal. Normally I wear my jersey on game day, but last week, after more frustration, I raised my beer to Thor and vowed that my jersey would not come back out of the closet until the Vikings began to demonstrate that they could live up to their potential. Today I saw some sparks, but when the chips were down, they failed. So the jersey is still in the closet. But enough on that, I really signed on to say why I'm so much more frustrated with the Vikings now than I have been in the past.

Since the late nineties the Vikings staff have been attempting to solve the problems on the team's defense. What has the result been? They've added talent, no doubt about that, but in my opinion, the defense has become worse each year. I know that's a controversial statement, but in terms of living up to their potential, rather than looking at stats, I believe it to be true. So what's up? I'm not going to blame the defense for the vikings problems. Not least because the offence has also failed to live upto its potential. But I'm not going to blame them either. Okay, so you're probably thinking that I've got to blame Tice, and maybe there's something there. But I believe the problem lies elsewhere: collective team psyche. That's right, I've come to believe that the team needs to fire whoever the team psychologist is and get a new one, or even a team of psychologists or other mental health experts. Here's why I think this. For the second year in a row they've started out well and stumbled after game seven and not been able to recover. Yes, yes, we all know this, so? Well, despite this they still keep talking in interviews about feeling that they'll still turn things around and make the playoffs, and they're still positive. Certainly having a positive outlook can be a good thing, but there is a point at which it becomes delusional and no longer resonates with any form of reality. At that point, it becomes necessary to break out of that positive mood and collectively rethink what you feel/know about your reality. Only then can you begin to change the realities of the situation. Okay, so maybe you all think that is just silly, but changing players hasn't done a damned thing over the long run. This team has what they need to be excellent, they just don't seem to know how to get it together on a psychological level.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

They need leaders on defense that lead and produce, Chavous, Claiborne, Kevin Williams, and Antonie Winfield are guys that need to keep producing and become REAL locker room leaders. Keep this group together.

T-Bone is offline Rookie

Welcome eater. I agree that we have a problem but I don't think a psych would make a difference. Locker room atmosphere requires a player who brings it every game, backs up his talk, and does a lot of talking. Other players respect him for that. We don't have that player. As much as I would like to blame Tice for this, I think players really only respect and fear fellow players. No psychologist is going to walk into that dressing room with his clip board and get me fired up to play to my potential.

fanfrom69 is offline Training Camp

Re: Why my jersey is still in the closet

"people eater" wrote:
    But I believe the problem lies elsewhere: collective team psyche. That's right, I've come to believe that the team needs to fire whoever the team psychologist is and get a new one, or even a team of psychologists or other mental health experts. .... This team has what they need to be excellent, they just don't seem to know how to get it together on a psychological level.
    Welcome - I've been a fan for 35. I can relate to your frustrations.

Man, you're wordy... sounds like you're puttin'in for the job...

I think that's a valid position, as far as locker room stuff is concerned, but I don't think a team psychologist should be for the locker room, rather they should be someone who works with the individuals of the team, and in group sessions, on a regular basis - not to pump them up for a game, but to keep them together as a unit over an entire season and to work with the coaching staff as much as the players. Certainly the D needs a leader but even when they had one in John Randle, it didn't make the necessary difference - I'm suggesting that the team has become entrenched in a way of thinking about and performing defense, that transcends seasons and players.

T-Bone is offline Rookie

There is definitely an attitude problem...did anyone else notice when Tice was screaming at a player (I think it was Ross) and the player just walked away and Tice had to follow him.

No respect.

Re: Why my jersey is still in the closet

"fanfrom69" wrote:
    Man, you're wordy... sounds like you're puttin'in for the job...
    Sorry about that, I know I can be. That would be an interesting job, but I'm a socio-cultural anthropologist, not a psychologist. I'm not quite sure how they could use me, but if I can ever figure that out, I'll be right on it.