Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Why the Minnesota Vikings Should Trade AP

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1091731
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091724
    We just need a runningback.

Lets look at the teams that made the championship games the past few years.

2010:
    Green Bay: Top-3 quarterback, no runningback
    Chicago: Good runningback, decent QB
    New York: Capable QB, great RB
    Pittsburgh: Top D, Great QB, ok RB

2009:
    Minnesota: Best RB, Great QB
    NO: No RB, Top-5 QB
    New York: Capable QB, great RB, top D
    Indy: Best QB, decent RB

2008:
    Arizona: Great QB, no RB
    Philly: Good QB, good RB, good D
    Pittsburgh: great QB, no RB, top D
    Baltimore: Capable QB, decent RB, top D
    Look at who won the Super Bowls though. Saints (no RB), Pukers (no RB), Pittsburgh (no RB) all according to you. All those teams have great QBs. We don't. We need to get one and if one falls in our lap, or we have to reach for one, that would be great.
    Problem with that, is if we trade AP before the seaosn starts, we have no idea what draft pick we'd get. What if it's the #32?

Also, all of those teams picked QB's middle to late in the draft. Roethlisberger was drafted #11 overall, Rodgers was drafted #24, Brees was #32.

We don't need to reach for players, but we need a good player. We can probably get Newton or Locker without trading up. Next year, Luck will be available, but he'll be a top pick. not a chance we're drafting him. Gambling the future on a #1 overall isn't the way to do it.
    I would personally rather roll with Webb this year and draft Luck or the top QB next year if Webb tanks. I realize that if we don't have AP we are a shit team, but we're basically a shit team right now anyways.
    what if we get the #2 overall after trading AP, and #1 picks Luck. That plan just went down the shitter.
    Someone on here said that when we traded Moss, we just got busts. Well that was just shitty drafting, if we had a good draft the trade woulda been worth it. We could have had Aaron Rodgers and Roddy White. Or Demarcus Ware. It wasn't a bad trade, it was just bad drafting.
    Moss gave us a spark on offense. Without him our whole Offense started sucking. Ware won't help that. If you remember, Roddy White didn't start playing well until a couple seasons ago. He wouldn't have helped. Rodgers may or may not have helped. Chilly would probably ruin him.
    I'd much rather have stability at the QB position for 15 years than at RB for 4 more years. If we could trade AP for Matt Ryan or Bradford I'd do that in a heartbeat. Those teams are set at QB for years. We are screwed until we get a QB.
    Thing is, we're not getting Ryan or Bradford. Ryan and Bradford look to be great players. There's not one of those available this year, and probably not next year. Those teams would be foolish to trade Ryan or Bradford for AP as well.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

To me the point is you only make a trade like that if you find a team wanting him bad enough to give up way more than his value to get him. In other words you don't trade him for a 2nd round pick and not for a 1st unless you are going to be in the top 2 or 3.

Some times teams are in a situation where they are willing to make a blockbuster trade and then you need to look closely. For instance look at the Walker trade ( Dammit all to hell) where they felt they were a RB away from a SB so they (Dammit all to hell) traded a crap ton of players and picks for a RB that didn't even fit their system. ( Dammit all to hell).

The saints did a similar thing although through the draft when dipshit Ditka traded all of the Saints picks(1-12, 3-71, 4-107, 5-144, 6-179 and 7-218) plus 1st and 3rd-round choices in 2000 that became the 2nd and 64th overall) to move up and draft Rickey Williams.

So while it almost never happens it does once in a while and if we could put together a trade like that I would do it in a heartbeat.

Heck, we don't even know if he will re sign with us after next year anyway so we could really lose him and not get anything. How would that help the team?

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091735
    To me the point is you only make a trade like that if you find a team wanting him bad enough to give up way more than his value to get him. In other words you don't trade him for a 2nd round pick and not for a 1st unless you are going to be in the top 2 or 3.

Some times teams are in a situation where they are willing to make a blockbuster trade and then you need to look closely. For instance look at the Walker trade ( Dammit all to hell) where they felt they were a RB away from a SB so they (Dammit all to hell) traded a crap ton of players and picks for a RB that didn't even fit their system. ( Dammit all to hell).

The saints did a similar thing although through the draft when dipshit Ditka traded all of the Saints picks(1-12, 3-71, 4-107, 5-144, 6-179 and 7-218) plus 1st and 3rd-round choices in 2000 that became the 2nd and 64th overall) to move up and draft Rickey Williams.

So while it almost never happens it does once in a while and if we could put together a trade like that I would do it in a heartbeat.

Heck, we don't even know if he will re sign with us after next year anyway so we could really lose him and not get anything. How would that help the team?
    Exactly. I'm not saying we trade him for a 4th rounder. I'm saying if we think we can get some huge deal and actually get value out of the pick, I'm all for it. He would be an idiot to resign with us, so if we think we can get something good out of the trade I'm for it.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091653
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091652
    Why the Minnesota Vikings should NOT trade AP.

1. we'd NEVER get fair market value for him. A 5th year RB won't get what we think he's worth. Probably best case we get a first and second. He's a great talent, but as a big, physical runner, teams will be unlikely to give up what we deem to be worth it.

Also, not to mention he's got one year left on his deal, worth almost $11 mil. That's an awfully steep price for a team to pick a guy up for only one year guaranteed.
    I don't know, a team that is primed for a SB run like the Pats, Ravens etc just might make that move to give them another threat and i could see the cowboys jumping on it to give them a HOF type RB. They could always reno his contract to a longer term deal with more up front money and a lower cap hit.

2. Our offense consists of one player: Harvin. Harvin won't win many games by himself. We have a poor line, we have no QB, and no WR depth at all. Assuming Rice leaves, we have Harvin and Berrian. Shank at TE, then Gerhart. Sorry, but Gerhart doesn't scare anybody. He's not as big or intimidating as other powerbacks in recent memory, and he's not quick enough to be that big play guy we want.
    Which is why we would use all of the picks we can get to build depth back into the roster.

3. Rookie QB with no RB to take the load off = failed QB. We see it happen again and again. Look at some of the teams with rookie QB's in the past few years. The good QB's just happen to have a good run game. Matt Ryan has Turner, Flacco has Rice and McGahee. Hell, Even Vick came in this season, and the Eagles had one of their better RB productions in recent memory, including many of Westbrooks years. Roethlisberger had the Bus and Parker, Eli had earth wind and fire.
    If we are going to stick with the WCO like Marr thinks, then we could pick up Chester Taylor when the bears release him. He is a better WCO RB anyway because he can block and catch a screen pass.

Some of the less good QB's, Croyle had nobody in KC, Fitzpatrick/Edwards had Lynch for a season, and looked OK. Without, they looked pretty bad(although Fitz had some good games), Derek Anderson/Skelton/Hall had nobody in Arizona.
    There are backs who we could get who could be serviceable in the WCO as stated above.

While yes, those guys don't compare to the likes of Ryan and Flacco, you can't deny it's just a hell of alot easier when you have a back you can hand off to, and he can put up 1300 yards regularly without blocking
    It is not that impossible anymore to get a 1200-1300 yard back in the league if the OL is a good one. CT could get 1300 yards and be cheaper

4. Nobody of quality will want to come here. When you're the best in the league at your position, and we throw you to the curb, you can bet other players will take note. When it comes to maybe signing that big-name free agent that would complete the team, they'll definitely keep that in mind
    Guys looking for an opportunity will always follow the money. And this year we can get a RB late in the draft if we need one.

5. Current players will distrust the coaches. Already, guys are speaking out about how they don't trust the FO(Pat Williams), when you can a greatly talented player who's an all-around great professional as well, teammates won't like that.
    They understand it is a business and it might be just as likely AP walks the next year and we lose him anyway.

Like PF says, we're never going to get a Herschel Walker-type deal. There's just no point.
    Yeah, he is one smart cookie:woohoo: :woohoo: JK.

In all honesty I could see the Raiders or the Cowboys making a better than market trade for him.

Remember what happened the last time we traded a big-name superstar, and kept telling ourselves it would make us better?
    Two excellent, well thought out posts right there my friends.

One small discussion point to add however, Gerhart.

Even though my good friend Bleed doesn't like him, the Vikes drafted him last year for a reason. Actually, multiple reasons.....

a. AD's pending contract. He is gonna get a block buster deal from someone.
    b. AD's getting old for a back. Doesn't mean he's done, but he is getting old.
    c. AD's pending contract. How much will you pay a RB that is getting old.

Would it be a PR nightmare if they traded him? Sure it would but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen especially if they thought there was a chance that they might not be able to retain his services.

The small fact that they don't have him inked already, makes me wonder what the hell is going on. Most will say its because of the CBA. I don't buy into that hog wash. A guy like AD you sign, or atleast try to sign before his last year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091734
    Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1091731
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091724
    We just need a runningback.

Lets look at the teams that made the championship games the past few years.

2010:
    Green Bay: Top-3 quarterback, no runningback
    Chicago: Good runningback, decent QB
    New York: Capable QB, great RB
    Pittsburgh: Top D, Great QB, ok RB

2009:
    Minnesota: Best RB, Great QB
    NO: No RB, Top-5 QB
    New York: Capable QB, great RB, top D
    Indy: Best QB, decent RB

2008:
    Arizona: Great QB, no RB
    Philly: Good QB, good RB, good D
    Pittsburgh: great QB, no RB, top D
    Baltimore: Capable QB, decent RB, top D
    Look at who won the Super Bowls though. Saints (no RB), Pukers (no RB), Pittsburgh (no RB) all according to you. All those teams have great QBs. We don't. We need to get one and if one falls in our lap, or we have to reach for one, that would be great.
    Problem with that, is if we trade AP before the seaosn starts, we have no idea what draft pick we'd get. What if it's the #32?

Also, all of those teams picked QB's middle to late in the draft. Roethlisberger was drafted #11 overall, Rodgers was drafted #24, Brees was #32.

We don't need to reach for players, but we need a good player. We can probably get Newton or Locker without trading up. Next year, Luck will be available, but he'll be a top pick. not a chance we're drafting him. Gambling the future on a #1 overall isn't the way to do it.
    I would personally rather roll with Webb this year and draft Luck or the top QB next year if Webb tanks. I realize that if we don't have AP we are a shit team, but we're basically a shit team right now anyways.
    what if we get the #2 overall after trading AP, and #1 picks Luck. That plan just went down the shitter.
    Someone on here said that when we traded Moss, we just got busts. Well that was just shitty drafting, if we had a good draft the trade woulda been worth it. We could have had Aaron Rodgers and Roddy White. Or Demarcus Ware. It wasn't a bad trade, it was just bad drafting.
    Moss gave us a spark on offense. Without him our whole Offense started sucking. Ware won't help that. If you remember, Roddy White didn't start playing well until a couple seasons ago. He wouldn't have helped. Rodgers may or may not have helped. Chilly would probably ruin him.
    I'd much rather have stability at the QB position for 15 years than at RB for 4 more years. If we could trade AP for Matt Ryan or Bradford I'd do that in a heartbeat. Those teams are set at QB for years. We are screwed until we get a QB.
    Thing is, we're not getting Ryan or Bradford. Ryan and Bradford look to be great players. There's not one of those available this year, and probably not next year. Those teams would be foolish to trade Ryan or Bradford for AP as well.
    Your logic is sound on almost every count, except the dream that Newton is gonna be there at 12.

Face it, he just isn't gonna be there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091735
    Bingo.....This guy is talking sense.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123