Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why Joe Webb Should Start the Season Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100882
    Are you Joe Webb's father?
    Maybe it is Donovan McNabb

  2. #12
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Why Joe Webb Should Start the Season Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by "JoeWebbIsTheFuture" #1100881
    Who would've thought that Joe Webb, the 199th pick of the 2010 NFL draft, would have even had a shot at playing a snap during the 2010 season.


    Brett Favre was the obvious leader of the team and had just come off of a near Super Bowl run that ended with a pass picked off by Saints' Tracy Porter. After receiving a concussion from a hit by Bears' Corey Wootton, the Vikings' "future franchise quarterback" in Tarvaris Jackson, filled the NFL's touchdown leaders spot. Tarvaris showed his lack of mental and physical toughness when he ran into teammate Adrian Peterson resulting in a trip to the IR with a diagnosis of turf toe.



    In comes Joe Webb. Joe, who ran a 4.43 40-yard-dash, completed 15 of 26 passes for 129 yards and ran six times for 38 yards and a touchdown. Not terrible for his first game, aside from the fact that he also threw two interceptions. However, the next week, Webb shocked the Eagles by completing 17 of 26 passes for 195 yards, and ran for 31 yards and another rushing touchdown. Remember, this was a crucial game for the Eagles, as they were still in contention for a first round bye. Joe definitely showed his potential during this game and proved he is an NFL ready quarterback. He managed to lose the final game of the year against the Lions but then again, the game had no meaning whatsoever.



    So Joe's starting spot was in jeapordy because of this loss and subsequently, the Vikings drafted Florida State's injury-struck Christian Ponder with the 12th pick of the draft. Yes, Ponder has the talent of a quarterback but he is not NFL-ready. I think that Joe Webb should be able to start out the first few games of the season (assuming the lockout ends), and then if Joe is unable to perform at starting quarterback level, Ponder should be thrown in. The Vikes should also sign a veteran who could help out Ponder and Webb once training camp starts.



    For me, the three main reasons Joe should start the Week One game against the Chargers this year is because he is more athletic, faster, and has more NFL experience than Ponder. Joe was able to learn from
    one of the game's best quarterbacks and leaders of all time, and definitely has a one-up on Ponder. Hopefully the Vikes will start Webb in Week One and maybe he is the answer for this West Coast Style
    offense.

    Comments are welcomed.
    Try to rewrite the article and eliminate bias. If you can eliminate bias and still have an interesting article, perhaps you have the chops to be a writer.
    Otherwise it is a Webb love fest worthy of Bleacher Report.

    BTW, I am also excited about Joe Webb's potential. We need to give it a little time to develop at the NFL level.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  3. #13
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why Joe Webb Should Start the Season Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by "JoeWebbIsTheFuture" #1100881
    Hopefully the Vikes will start Webb in Week One and maybe he is the answer for this West Coast Style offense.
    I like Joe Webb and think he has a lot of potential, but he is so raw that it is a bit silly to want or expect him to start the season. For the record, I think that Ponder, even without NFL game experience, is likely more ready to start. But that isn't why I responded.

    My response lies in the assumption that we are going to be running the WCO this season. I don't think what we will see on the field this year will be very recognizable as the WCO. Our roster doesn't support it, especially if we lose Rice. I expect us to see a lot of two tight end sets with max protection options and a very strong running game.

    FYI, the biggest reason I think the running game will improve is because of our QB and WR situation. Teams will start stacking the box again - and that allows AD to break off the long runs.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #14
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why Joe Webb Should Start the Season Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1101106
    Quote Originally Posted by "JoeWebbIsTheFuture" #1100881
    Hopefully the Vikes will start Webb in Week One and maybe he is the answer for this West Coast Style offense.
    I like Joe Webb and think he has a lot of potential, but he is so raw that it is a bit silly to want or expect him to start the season. For the record, I think that Ponder, even without NFL game experience, is likely more ready to start. But that isn't why I responded.

    My response lies in the assumption that we are going to be running the WCO this season. I don't think what we will see on the field this year will be very recognizable as the WCO. Our roster doesn't support it, especially if we lose Rice. I expect us to see a lot of two tight end sets with max protection options and a very strong running game.

    FYI, the biggest reason I think the running game will improve is because of our QB and WR situation. Teams will start stacking the box again - and that allows AD to break off the long runs.
    Obviously you need to read Marty's posts a bit closer because apparently we are running a carbon copy of what Childress ran.

  5. #15
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why Joe Webb Should Start the Season Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1101110
    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1101106
    Quote Originally Posted by "JoeWebbIsTheFuture" #1100881
    Hopefully the Vikes will start Webb in Week One and maybe he is the answer for this West Coast Style offense.
    I like Joe Webb and think he has a lot of potential, but he is so raw that it is a bit silly to want or expect him to start the season. For the record, I think that Ponder, even without NFL game experience, is likely more ready to start. But that isn't why I responded.

    My response lies in the assumption that we are going to be running the WCO this season. I don't think what we will see on the field this year will be very recognizable as the WCO. Our roster doesn't support it, especially if we lose Rice. I expect us to see a lot of two tight end sets with max protection options and a very strong running game.

    FYI, the biggest reason I think the running game will improve is because of our QB and WR situation. Teams will start stacking the box again - and that allows AD to break off the long runs.
    Obviously you need to read Marty's posts a bit closer because apparently we are running a carbon copy of what Childress ran.
    And Rhett Bomar is also a West Coast QB who knows our system and can be the veteran leader for Ponder.

  6. #16
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Why Joe Webb Should Start the Season Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1101110
    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1101106
    Quote Originally Posted by "JoeWebbIsTheFuture" #1100881
    Hopefully the Vikes will start Webb in Week One and maybe he is the answer for this West Coast Style offense.
    I like Joe Webb and think he has a lot of potential, but he is so raw that it is a bit silly to want or expect him to start the season. For the record, I think that Ponder, even without NFL game experience, is likely more ready to start. But that isn't why I responded.

    My response lies in the assumption that we are going to be running the WCO this season. I don't think what we will see on the field this year will be very recognizable as the WCO. Our roster doesn't support it, especially if we lose Rice. I expect us to see a lot of two tight end sets with max protection options and a very strong running game.

    FYI, the biggest reason I think the running game will improve is because of our QB and WR situation. Teams will start stacking the box again - and that allows AD to break off the long runs.
    Obviously you need to read Marty's posts a bit closer because apparently we are running a carbon copy of what Childress ran.
    You left off the "Pre-Noodle" part.

    As to our good friend NodackPauls point. It depends on what Variant of the WCO you expect to see which will drive what it looks like to the viewer.

    If your looking for Air Coryell and WR's running all over the place (passing to set up the run), you are correct, it won't look like that.

    If you are looking for what it will look like I think you need to go back and read what I posted about Coach Mularkey if you want to see what variant we will run.

    Long story short, his roots don't go anywere near Coryell and his offense, although it is called a WCO, it features a "Smash Mouth" run to set up the pass and alot of the passing goes to multiple TE sets with a multi dimensional WR (ala PH) and/or a possesion type of guy (ala Rice) to compliment/exploit those power sets.

    If one were to go back "Pre Noodle" you would see that is what the Chiller ran, much the same as Tice.

    Only big difference I see is the routes/WR's are numbered vice colors/letters when the plays are called. It will be interesting to see/hear if he stays with that or if he stays with the colors/letters.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #17
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why Joe Webb Should Start the Season Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1101120
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1101110
    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1101106
    Quote Originally Posted by "JoeWebbIsTheFuture" #1100881
    Hopefully the Vikes will start Webb in Week One and maybe he is the answer for this West Coast Style offense.
    I like Joe Webb and think he has a lot of potential, but he is so raw that it is a bit silly to want or expect him to start the season. For the record, I think that Ponder, even without NFL game experience, is likely more ready to start. But that isn't why I responded.

    My response lies in the assumption that we are going to be running the WCO this season. I don't think what we will see on the field this year will be very recognizable as the WCO. Our roster doesn't support it, especially if we lose Rice. I expect us to see a lot of two tight end sets with max protection options and a very strong running game.

    FYI, the biggest reason I think the running game will improve is because of our QB and WR situation. Teams will start stacking the box again - and that allows AD to break off the long runs.
    Obviously you need to read Marty's posts a bit closer because apparently we are running a carbon copy of what Childress ran.
    You left off the "Pre-Noodle" part.

    As to our good friend NodackPauls point. It depends on what Variant of the WCO you expect to see which will drive what it looks like to the viewer.

    If your looking for Air Coryell and WR's running all over the place (passing to set up the run), you are correct, it won't look like that.

    If you are looking for what it will look like I think you need to go back and read what I posted about Coach Mularkey if you want to see what variant we will run.

    Long story short, his roots don't go anywere near Coryell and his offense, although it is called a WCO, it features a "Smash Mouth" run to set up the pass and alot of the passing goes to multiple TE sets with a multi dimensional WR (ala PH) and/or a possesion type of guy (ala Rice) to compliment/exploit those power sets.

    If one were to go back "Pre Noodle" you would see that is what the Chiller ran, much the same as Tice.

    Only big difference I see is the routes/WR's are numbered vice colors/letters when the plays are called. It will be interesting to see/hear if he stays with that or if he stays with the colors/letters.
    No, it isn't even close Marty. But I have to get to work and don't have time to splain it.

  8. #18
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Why Joe Webb Should Start the Season Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1101114
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1101110
    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1101106
    Quote Originally Posted by "JoeWebbIsTheFuture" #1100881
    Hopefully the Vikes will start Webb in Week One and maybe he is the answer for this West Coast Style offense.
    I like Joe Webb and think he has a lot of potential, but he is so raw that it is a bit silly to want or expect him to start the season. For the record, I think that Ponder, even without NFL game experience, is likely more ready to start. But that isn't why I responded.

    My response lies in the assumption that we are going to be running the WCO this season. I don't think what we will see on the field this year will be very recognizable as the WCO. Our roster doesn't support it, especially if we lose Rice. I expect us to see a lot of two tight end sets with max protection options and a very strong running game.

    FYI, the biggest reason I think the running game will improve is because of our QB and WR situation. Teams will start stacking the box again - and that allows AD to break off the long runs.
    Obviously you need to read Marty's posts a bit closer because apparently we are running a carbon copy of what Childress ran.
    And Rhett Bomar is also a West Coast QB who knows our system and can be the veteran leader for Ponder.
    Yet again you provide proof you have no clue about the things I say.

    What I said was I wouldn't be suprised, based on CAP and the numbers of FA's/Players we need to sign/resign that they might go cheap and use a cat like Bomar just like I said I wouldn't be apposed to a guy like Dnabb if we could get him cheap.

    Again, probably the reason why you think I'm crazy. It all comes back to you and your ability to stick with a conversation. :P
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6

    Re: Why Joe Webb Should Start the Season Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1100991
    Quote Originally Posted by "JoeWebbIsTheFuture" #1100881
    Who would've thought that Joe Webb, the 199th pick of the 2010 NFL draft, would have even had a shot at playing a snap during the 2010 season.


    Brett Favre was the obvious leader of the team and had just come off of a near Super Bowl run that ended with a pass picked off by Saints' Tracy Porter. After receiving a concussion from a hit by Bears' Corey Wootton, the Vikings' "future franchise quarterback" in Tarvaris Jackson, filled the NFL's touchdown leaders spot. Tarvaris showed his lack of mental and physical toughness when he ran into teammate Adrian Peterson resulting in a trip to the IR with a diagnosis of turf toe.



    In comes Joe Webb. Joe, who ran a 4.43 40-yard-dash, completed 15 of 26 passes for 129 yards and ran six times for 38 yards and a touchdown. Not terrible for his first game, aside from the fact that he also threw two interceptions. However, the next week, Webb shocked the Eagles by completing 17 of 26 passes for 195 yards, and ran for 31 yards and another rushing touchdown. Remember, this was a crucial game for the Eagles, as they were still in contention for a first round bye. Joe definitely showed his potential during this game and proved he is an NFL ready quarterback. He managed to lose the final game of the year against the Lions but then again, the game had no meaning whatsoever.



    So Joe's starting spot was in jeapordy because of this loss and subsequently, the Vikings drafted Florida State's injury-struck Christian Ponder with the 12th pick of the draft. Yes, Ponder has the talent of a quarterback but he is not NFL-ready. I think that Joe Webb should be able to start out the first few games of the season (assuming the lockout ends), and then if Joe is unable to perform at starting quarterback level, Ponder should be thrown in. The Vikes should also sign a veteran who could help out Ponder and Webb once training camp starts.



    For me, the three main reasons Joe should start the Week One game against the Chargers this year is because he is more athletic, faster, and has more NFL experience than Ponder. Joe was able to learn from
    one of the game's best quarterbacks and leaders of all time, and definitely has a one-up on Ponder. Hopefully the Vikes will start Webb in Week One and maybe he is the answer for this West Coast Style
    offense.

    Comments are welcomed.
    Try to rewrite the article and eliminate bias. If you can eliminate bias and still have an interesting article, perhaps you have the chops to be a writer.
    Otherwise it is a Webb love fest worthy of Bleacher Report.

    BTW, I am also excited about Joe Webb's potential. We need to give it a little time to develop at the NFL level.
    yes, this article is extremely bias especially because I am a huge Webb fan. However, a lot of the things I talked about are facts, not opinions
    None

  10. #20
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Why Joe Webb Should Start the Season Opener

    Quote Originally Posted by "JoeWebbIsTheFuture" #1101172
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1100991
    Quote Originally Posted by "JoeWebbIsTheFuture" #1100881
    Who would've thought that Joe Webb, the 199th pick of the 2010 NFL draft, would have even had a shot at playing a snap during the 2010 season.


    Brett Favre was the obvious leader of the team and had just come off of a near Super Bowl run that ended with a pass picked off by Saints' Tracy Porter. After receiving a concussion from a hit by Bears' Corey Wootton, the Vikings' "future franchise quarterback" in Tarvaris Jackson, filled the NFL's touchdown leaders spot. Tarvaris showed his lack of mental and physical toughness when he ran into teammate Adrian Peterson resulting in a trip to the IR with a diagnosis of turf toe.



    In comes Joe Webb. Joe, who ran a 4.43 40-yard-dash, completed 15 of 26 passes for 129 yards and ran six times for 38 yards and a touchdown. Not terrible for his first game, aside from the fact that he also threw two interceptions. However, the next week, Webb shocked the Eagles by completing 17 of 26 passes for 195 yards, and ran for 31 yards and another rushing touchdown. Remember, this was a crucial game for the Eagles, as they were still in contention for a first round bye. Joe definitely showed his potential during this game and proved he is an NFL ready quarterback. He managed to lose the final game of the year against the Lions but then again, the game had no meaning whatsoever.



    So Joe's starting spot was in jeapordy because of this loss and subsequently, the Vikings drafted Florida State's injury-struck Christian Ponder with the 12th pick of the draft. Yes, Ponder has the talent of a quarterback but he is not NFL-ready. I think that Joe Webb should be able to start out the first few games of the season (assuming the lockout ends), and then if Joe is unable to perform at starting quarterback level, Ponder should be thrown in. The Vikes should also sign a veteran who could help out Ponder and Webb once training camp starts.



    For me, the three main reasons Joe should start the Week One game against the Chargers this year is because he is more athletic, faster, and has more NFL experience than Ponder. Joe was able to learn from
    one of the game's best quarterbacks and leaders of all time, and definitely has a one-up on Ponder. Hopefully the Vikes will start Webb in Week One and maybe he is the answer for this West Coast Style
    offense.

    Comments are welcomed.
    Try to rewrite the article and eliminate bias. If you can eliminate bias and still have an interesting article, perhaps you have the chops to be a writer.
    Otherwise it is a Webb love fest worthy of Bleacher Report.

    BTW, I am also excited about Joe Webb's potential. We need to give it a little time to develop at the NFL level.
    yes, this article is extremely bias especially because I am a huge Webb fan. However, a lot of the things I talked about are facts, not opinions
    I didn't mention whether facts or opinions were used. There are some facts but also plenty of opinion. Some facts are used to color the piece as are most of the opinions.
    If you were attempting to write a piece worthy of publication it would be considered poorly written.
    If you are just writing to post here at PP.O, it is a fine piece of work; nothing wrong with posting your opinion and supporting a player many of us like.
    I normally wouldn't comment except you seemed to be looking for them.
    Maybe you meant comments on what others think about Webb!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Favre to start last game if he can, but Webb ready
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-31-2010, 04:42 AM
  2. The other season opener.
    By Purple Floyd in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-14-2008, 02:49 PM
  3. J.T. O'Sullivan to start at QB in 49ers' exhibition opener
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 07:38 PM
  4. Tice says Mewelde to start in place of Bennett in opener
    By Jordan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 07:44 PM
  5. Season Opener
    By anchoragevikesfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 07:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •