Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: why isn't erin henderson replacing his brother as starting MLB?

"marstc09" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Two things.....

a.
    Thor is correct, Erin isn't a MLB.
    Funny how some miss little things like that.

:

b.
    Why is everyone beeeeyyyyatching about Vinny or even Herron for that matter. Has there been that big of a drop off to warrant some of the criticism?

The signing of DT is a good move by Spielman and should give us another body in the rotation but I don't look to see him starting any time soon.

Gonna take some time for him to get back up to game shape.
    Additionally, we need Erin to get back in the rotation as well from his injury.
    Pretty soon our guys will wear down like we saw the DL wear down last year.

Until then, get behind the backups that are doing an OK job, the two starters (Chad and Ben) who are playing thier asses off.
    My god yes! The Lions rushed for 100 yards. I think we were averaging around 50 per game. If my memory serves me correctly the Lions were in the bottom 5 for rushing as well as every other category.
    True they had 100 yards or so but 1/2 came on 1 play at the end of the 1st half.
    They didn't do badly other than that 1 play.
    I don't want to sound like an ass but I dislike that argument. They got the yards and that is all that matters. I had a TJ man lover say the same thing to me yesterday about Gus. He mentioned that that one play to Bernard for 86 was almost 1/3 of Frerottes yards. I don't care. The point is that he found his man and both combined to make one hell of a play. Yards are yards no matter how they come.
    That may have been me also about the 1/3 of Gus' yardage coming from that one play.
    IMO it does make a difference.
    You are correct in the amount of yardage but it is how they did it.
    They weren't consistent and that was my argument.
    For instance if Detroit had 100 yards rushing and they were 5 here, 10 there and so on they would have driven down the field much better with more consistency.
    They didn't and therefore they only scored 10 points.
    Same with passing.
    Sure it's a quick strike TD and I'm not complaining but there is too much inconsistency for me to view those stats as a basis to any argument saying Gus is that much better than TJ or BJ for that matter.
    I do believe he has more control of the offesne than did TJ.

My statement was basically that the D did a pretty good job except for maybe 1 or 2 plays.
    Of course that can make or break a game as we have already learned.
    But all in all the D did a great job Sunday.
    The offense did an okay job with one big play.

BTW, you don't sound like an ass.
    Everyone has their opinion and there is nothing wrong with the one you posted.
    I just view it differently.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Erin isn't a MLB but Greenway was touted as our eventual MLB when we drafted him. Not to mention the cover 2 has the least difference between LB positions. Surely Greenway would recognize and call the audibles better than Herron.

Erin Chad and Ben are no doubt our best 3 LBers right now. It's just a matter of getting them on the field.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

First of all, I have to make this clear. Erin Henderson IS an inside linebacker and I think he played on the inside for the most part in college. Personally, I believe he can excel both on the inside and on the outside (he's ideal position would be as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense IMO). He's a little faster than his big brother and more athletic, but he's not as strong on the point of contact as E.J. is.

I don't know if Erin is still suffering from his concussion, but I strongly believe we should start him if he's 100 % healthy.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Two things.....

a.

:

b.
    Why is everyone beeeeyyyyatching about Vinny or even Herron for that matter. Has there been that big of a drop off to warrant some of the criticism?

The signing of DT is a good move by Spielman and should give us another body in the rotation but I don't look to see him starting any time soon.

Until then, get behind the backups that are doing an OK job, the two starters (Chad and Ben) who are playing thier asses off.
    My god yes! The Lions rushed for 100 yards. I think we were averaging around 50 per game. If my memory serves me correctly the Lions were in the bottom 5 for rushing as well as every other category.
    True they had 100 yards or so but 1/2 came on 1 play at the end of the 1st half.
    I don't want to sound like an ass but I dislike that argument. They got the yards and that is all that matters. I had a TJ man lover say the same thing to me yesterday about Gus. He mentioned that that one play to Bernard for 86 was almost 1/3 of Frerottes yards. I don't care. The point is that he found his man and both combined to make one hell of a play. Yards are yards no matter how they come.
    That may have been me also about the 1/3 of Gus' yardage coming from that one play.
    For instance if Detroit had 100 yards rushing and they were 5 here, 10 there and so on they would have driven down the field much better with more consistency.
    Same with passing.
    Sure it's a quick strike TD and I'm not complaining but there is too much inconsistency for me to view those stats as a basis to any argument saying Gus is that much better than TJ or BJ for that matter.

My statement was basically that the D did a pretty good job except for maybe 1 or 2 plays.

Too much inconsistency on all sides. That is why we will never be anything more than 8-8 if we don't figure this out. Big plays win games and we are lucky that the Lions did not squeak another one in there like that 50 yarder.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

He tore the ACL in his left knee in preseason camp, forcing him to miss the entire 2005 season. He returned in 2006 to enjoy his healthiest year, but was hampered again last season with a torn meniscus and sprained ACL in the same knee. Later, he was slowed by back pain.

When healthy, there is no denying Henderson's talent. A year after tearing his ACL, he started 12 games at weak-side linebacker, leading the Terps with 114 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss and three forced fumbles on his way to Second Team ACC honors. This season, despite missing the Georgia Tech game, he earned First Team ACC honors, leading the team with 122 tackles, 11 tackles for loss and four fumble recoveries from his weak-side position. Henderson led the ACC in tackles per game (11.09), a number that ranked eighth in the country.

He reads the action quickly, and is athletic and strong enough with his hands to get through blocks on his way to the ballcarrier. Electing to leave after his junior season is a risk, as the Combine medical tests will push, pull and prod on his body to make sure he is healthy.

[size=10pt]Though he has only played weak-side throughout his career with the Terps, Henderson's size gives his future NFL coaches plenty of options[/size].
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/erin-henderson?id=1363

So, although he could play some MLB, he is a rookie who has been injured off and on...not a ton of experience at LB in general.
    What I'd like to see is him throw a pass or run on a fake kick...he did play QB too.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=48514.msg852156#msg852156 date=1223985677]
    Two things.....

a.

:

b.

Same with passing.

Too much inconsistency on all sides. That is why we will never be anything more than 8-8 if we don't figure this out. Big plays win games and we are lucky that the Lions did not squeak another one in there like that 50 yarder.
    [/quote]

Very true my good friend.
    Very true!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234