benjamite is offline Training Camp

Why I hate ESPN.

Childress Needs to Fix Vikings Now

Brett Favre's History Repeating Itself in Minnesota

Everything ESPN has been posting lately has been pissing me off. I woke up to read these two articles only to wonder if the writers actually WATCHED the game. Sure, we melted down in Carolina, and the sideline spat with Childress and Favre was a little sketchy and an unnamed source revealed what "actually happened" post game (who knows how truthful), but really, neither Favre nor Childress are to blame for the Vikings late season "meltdown."

Here's a list of things ESPN chooses to ignore in order to write articles about over exaggerated conflict to boost their ratings.

Arizona Game
    -uninspired play on offense and defense
    -we came out flat
    -we never gained momentum
    -In my head I justified this loss as one of those games that a good team has every year. Just a terrible, uninspired performance.

Carolina Game

-Bryant McKinnie getting rocked by Julius Peppers
    -Our o-line's inability to create holes for Peterson
    -Peterson's poor timing to hit the hole when one is created.
    -Antoine Winfield getting burned by Steve Smith
    -EJ Henderson missing the last 4 games (we went 1-3, is his absence to blame for the Vikings "meltdown"? It probably would be if he was as high profile as say, Troy Polamalu, or if we didn't have Favre on our team)
    -Our defensive line not stepping up to the plate. If we don't get pressure on the quarterback, our defense fails. Simple as that.

Chicago game

-Ryan Longwells blocked XP. Had that one play been different, ESPN would be convinced the Favre - Childress "spat" is genuinely being resolved.
    -Antoine Winfield getting burned yet again. Still hurt? certainly looks like it.
    -Pat Williams not being able to collapse the pocket for Cutler by NOT PLAYING
    -E.J. Henderson is still out
    -terrible special teams coverage that consistently gave the bears a short field.
    -Bernard Berrian's epic drop
    -Peterson's even more epic fumble
    -Our D-line again simply not getting it done.
    -Tyrell Johnson being a dumbass
    -I'm sure theres more you guys noticed if you watched the game.

I guess I'm just angry because the Vikings are blowing it, but it makes me even more angry when ESPN tries to make it look like we're worse off than we are. Sure Chilly is to blame for a little, but he's not at fault nearly as much as the majority of his players are. Why wasn't anybody at ESPN criticizing Chilly when we were 10-1? Simply because the players executed the game plan. These past four weeks have been players losses, not coach's losses. Execution has been sloppy and we just now have to find out late in the season that we're not a good road team (We're 4-4 on the road now, with 3 of our wins coming at STL, DET and CLE). Does that mean we're having a huge head coach-quarterback controversy? No, but that makes a better story.
    wamp wamp.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Why I hate ESPN.

I have hated ESPN for years now, but I can't blame them for taking this story and running with it. All season long every analyst has been waited for vidication in saying that this situation with Farve and the Vikings would not work out in the long run. They had to sit on their thumbs earlier in the season and now what they predicted is somewhat ringing true. The Vikings problems can't be squarely placed on the Farve-Chilly situation though. Our defense has turned paper soft, but that story isn't sexy enough for ESPN to cover.

Thanks Josdin

locuomotion is offline Training Camp

Re: Why I hate ESPN.

Well stated. They (and other media outlets) have totally blown this whole Favre/Childress thing out of proportion.

Very frustrating...
    "You don't have to have a mullet to cut your sleeves off and be a bad ass." - Jared Allen
    www.hoverstad.com

TrojanVike28 is offline Starter

Re:Why I hate ESPN.

The funny thing is ESPN spent a whole week on the Tom Brady/Randy Moss relationship, and now since they have been on fire, ESPN brags them up and say "This is the Patriots we're used to seeing." ESPN is so bias for the Patriots, it's unbelievable. They hired Tedy Bruschi this past offseason? Why is that? Oh, so they can have more in-depth coverage on the Patriots. They also hate Favre in a Vikings uniform, if he were in a Packers uniform, they would be defending him.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

TrojanVike28 wrote:
    The funny thing is ESPN spent a whole week on the Tom Brady/Randy Moss relationship, and now since they have been on fire, ESPN brags them up and say "This is the Patriots we're used to seeing." ESPN is so bias for the Patriots, it's unbelievable. They hired Tedy Bruschi this past offseason? Why is that? Oh, so they can have more in-depth coverage on the Patriots. They also hate Favre in a Vikings uniform, if he were in a Packers uniform, they would be defending him.
    Newsflash: ESPN does not love the Patriots. They do not hate the Vikings. They don't suckle the Yankees' balls and they don't jerk off Jerry Jones.

What they love is money.

And the Patriots are money. The Yankees are money. The Cowboys are money. The Vikings are not money. Brett Favre is money. Adrian Peterson is money. Naufahu Tahi is not money.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

LOL

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler

I LOVE ESPN

How else could I see Temple in a bowl game :unsure:
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

Holmstrom is offline Rookie

Today they were singing Jay Cutler's praises, acting like they hadn't said a bad word about him all season. It was hilarious. If you were to believe ESPN you'd think they had been predicting all season long that Jay Cutler would come around.
    None

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Its the media. What do you expect.

Having said that, don't watch much Essspen since I get the NFLN, but I do still follow a few of thier shows.....

Mike and MIke. Greeny can be a bit irritating but love Golic. Been watching alot of the Irish this year in the hopes of seeing one of his boys do something. Maybe next year.

PTI. A discussion show. Go figure that I would be drawn to to chuckle heads discussing something.

Around the Horn. More discussions. Go figure. Love Woodys chalk board.

Sports Nation - They take fan input into the dicsussion and I think Beadle is hot. Been toying with the idea of starting a thread/poll about her and see if we can use it somehow to get PPO on as the "Link of the Day".

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

ESPN is the media, thats what the media do - they make money that way, because thats what the public wants to hear..

Live with it..

And on another note - a lot of those things points back to Childress for not adjusting in games - a thing that he has always been very bad at doing.

Im not saying that #4 or Childress has ruined the vikings, because there is still 11 wins up there, but if we play like this when it really matters, its 1 and done - and even though we one 1 or 2 more games, it doesnt count for nothing more than last year with Gus Frerotte & Tarvaris Jackson.

But honestly, this was to be expected with having an outspoken guy like him on the team and along with him being a lifelong smelly cheese one of the many reasons i didnt want him on this team to begin with and still feel i could have dont without it.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!