Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Why have Viking fans become so cynical?

everybody wants one of these

[img width=450 height=337]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/westvirginiavikings/100_0067.jpg[/img]

they will get one after this

[img width=450 height=335]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/westvirginiavikings/1032217870_d8e75744dc.jpg[/img]

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

I blame all the journalists and experts who predicted we would win the Super Bowl this year. Nothing like setting yourself up for a fall to make fans lose all semblance of patience.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

"BadlandsViking" wrote:

[img width=450 height=337]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/westvirginiavikings/100_0067.jpg[/img]
    What is that?
    :

El underdog.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I think there is something to be said for that... there's also something to be said about 2 second year coaches in the Super Bowl.
    Especially since one inherited a SB winning team and coaching staff that required very minimal changes and a another one who only had to shore up a OL and some minor Defensive issues.

Seriously, both of thier circumstances isn't anywere close to a team that had to be gutted to become competitive again.
    Matry, AZ had to undergoe a LOT of change to get to where they are right now.
    Let's be realistic.
    I agree, however, alot of that change was already in place from Denny.
    Long story short, they were not devoid of talent and did not get gutted like the Vikes.
    I'm sorry but we had a pretty decent core here and either let some guys go or got rid of them altogether... Please don't sit here and tell me that Arizona who hadn't had a winning season in GOD knows how long had less changes, than the vikes did!!...

yeah, they had 2 receivers a rookie QB and Kurt Warner...

We brought in a ton of people, when we already had a decent core here, one that I might add, went 9-7 and won a playoff game, the year before, and have let alot of those guys go... but you also fail to realize some of our best players were there and part of that party boat situation...

People are cynical bc the Vikes underachieve every year on a consistent basis, and while childress may deserve another year, we still underachieved, when since he's been here we've had probably some of the best drafts and offseason FA pickups out of all the teams in the league...

C'mon let's be realistic... AZ had entirely more problems than we had... and they just got hot at the right time... not to mention a competent QB...

and Pitt was coming off a what? 6-10 season..?
    They've probably had as many changes as we've had in the three years since chilly was here the main constant being the QB and hines ward...

so for you or anyone else to say, our team had to be gutted.. NO IT DIDN"T!!.. some changes were made, but that happens every year... let's just call it like it is... they've both outperformed childress and done a helluva better job than he has...

bc whether you want to admit it or not, we have just as much if not more talent than both of those teams... maybe even combined...

just look at pro bowlers

matt birk
    AD
    Winfield
    Hutch
    Kdub
    Phat pat
    sharper
    Allen

az
    fITZ
    Boldin
    Warner
    wilson

Pitt
    Ben
    hines ward
    james harrison
    palamalu
    farrior

so when you break it down, i know pro bowlers don't mean everything, but we have quite a few guys that either are p.bowlers or have been in the last two years... and 1 less than both of the sb teams combined..

so when ppl say, give it time, YES, i'm one of those ppl that is willing to wait, but when you have talent like we do, it's kind of hard to justify giving someone more time!!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

The booing at the dome is ridiculous. Especially when trying to make it a 3 possession game in the second half against the Colts.
    Troubles selling out the dome have more to do with:Economy, weather, timing(right after christmas), and brand new big screen tvs in seemingly every home.
    Fans have always wanted the big name players and for their team to be involved in the next big trade. This has probably increased as there are more superstar trades than ever in the NFL. Players come and go now, a bad team can improve in 1 offseason(evidenced by Baltimore, Miami, Atlanta) with the help of a couple of good moves. A good team can also become a contender based on 1 or 2 moves.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    The booing at the dome is ridiculous. Especially when trying to make it a 3 possession game in the second half against the Colts.
    Troubles selling out the dome have more to do with:Economy, weather, timing(right after christmas), and brand new big screen tvs in seemingly every home.
    Fans have always wanted the big name players and for their team to be involved in the next big trade. This has probably increased as there are more superstar trades than ever in the NFL. Players come and go now, a bad team can improve in 1 offseason(evidenced by Baltimore, Miami, Atlanta) with the help of a couple of good moves. A good team can also become a contender based on 1 or 2 moves.
    SO how do you suppose a DIV champ team becomes a contender??... change the coach perhaps?....

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

I don't know if its called Cynical, but I guess I never undertood why we should accept mediocre as OK(TJoke). But then at the same time be critcal for alot of the same things(Chilly). Am i die hard fan of Chilly No he has been Ok at best but we have as a team gotten better each year.
    Can he improve? Maybe but there are still alot of people that were ready to line up to toss him out on his ass many times and have no problem with it.
    TJack has shown some flashes but he is medioccre at best, but peopel are so quick to defend him and say "He needs more time"
    So Ok for one and not the other?
    Peopel criticize Chilly as incompentent but yet in still he has shown more dedication to giving TJack opportuniities to show he can be a QB. So Is he incompetent for doing this?
    Guess I have never understood how people hate Chilly for the things he does and his decisions , but be fine with Tjack when it is in fact Chilly who is making the decision to let him play when he may not of gotten the opportunity to do so under other coaches. Just my 2 cents

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Garland" wrote:
    I don't know if its called Cynical, but I guess I never undertood why we should accept mediocre as OK(TJoke). But then at the same time be critcal for alot of the same things(Chilly). Am i die hard fan of Chilly No he has been Ok at best but we have as a team gotten better each year.
    Can he improve? Maybe but there are still alot of people that were ready to line up to toss him out on his ass many times and have no problem with it.
    TJack has shown some flashes but he is medioccre at best, but peopel are so quick to defend him and say "He needs more time"
    So Ok for one and not the other?
    Peopel criticize Chilly as incompentent but yet in still he has shown more dedication to giving TJack opportuniities to show he can be a QB. So Is he incompetent for doing this?
    Guess I have never understood how people hate Chilly for the things he does and his decisions , but be fine with Tjack when it is in fact Chilly who is making the decision to let him play when he may not of gotten the opportunity to do so under other coaches. Just my 2 cents

I agree wiht you 100%
    its rediculous, especially come FA time.
    a guy like Chad Johnson, Moss, JARED ALLEN, etc become available, and people constantly find reasons why we shouldn't have him..
    Oh, moss squirted water at a ref, so despite he would single handedly change our entire offense, we don't want him, or CJ always does endzone dances (back when they weren't a penalty i might remind you, he's been rather quiet lately), so he's in the same boat as moss.
    Jared allen had a DUI, so we don't want him.
    However, people's idea of a perfect reciever is Hines ward, who's a good character guy, but never really a huge recieving threat.
    or osme late round no-name DT, we really like him.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    I'm sorry but we had a pretty decent core here and either let some guys go or got rid of them altogether... Please don't sit here and tell me that Arizona who hadn't had a winning season in GOD knows how long had less changes, than the vikes did!!...
    We had a talent core or a core that the fans liked?
    Seriously, that team was on a quick downward slide.
    Who from that team has done anything since they were cut/let lose that you could/can show warranted them staying?

yeah, they had 2 receivers a rookie QB and Kurt Warner...
    What, obviously you didn't compare thier roster now did you.....

We brought in a ton of people, when we already had a decent core here, one that I might add, went 9-7 and won a playoff game, the year before, and have let alot of those guys go... but you also fail to realize some of our best players were there and part of that party boat situation...
    Again, who was axed that has done anything of significance since they left?
    Memo......Who else.

People are cynical bc the Vikes underachieve every year on a consistent basis, and while childress may deserve another year, we still underachieved, when since he's been here we've had probably some of the best drafts and offseason FA pickups out of all the teams in the league...
    Consistent basis........Maybe you need to revisit your teams history My Sexy Little Pixie.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl...a/vikings.html

I have alot of fond memories were we were consistent year in and year out.

C'mon let's be realistic... AZ had entirely more problems than we had... and they just got hot at the right time... not to mention a competent QB...

and Pitt was coming off a what? 6-10 season..?
    They've probably had as many changes as we've had in the three years since chilly was here the main constant being the QB and hines ward...
    No way in hell.
    Compare Pitts roster with thier SB roster.

so for you or anyone else to say, our team had to be gutted.. NO IT DIDN"T!!.. some changes were made, but that happens every year... let's just call it like it is... they've both outperformed childress and done a helluva better job than he has...
    Better huh?

Maybe you should look at it from a statistical standpoint.
    Not only were we better our first year under the Chiller, Tices last year was the end of a serious downward trend.

Seems you are going off of feeling here vice actual data......

Offense

Overall - 330.5 (17th)
    - Rush 145.8 (5th) – Pass 184.8 (25th) – Pts 379 (12th)

Overall – 336.2 (13th)
    - Rush 164.6 (1th) – Pass 171.6 (28th) – Pts 365 (15th)

Overall – 308.9 (23rd)
    - Rush 113.8 (16th) – Pass 195.2 (18th) – Pts 282 (26th)

Overall – 288.3 (25th)
    - Rush 91.7 (27th) – Pass 196.6 (20th) – Pts 306 (19th)

Overall – 396.2 (4th)
    - Rush 113.9 (18th) – Pass 282.3 (2nd) – Pts 405 (6th)

Overall – 393.42 (1rst)
    - Rush 146.4 (4th) – Pass 246.9 (4th) – Pts 416 (6th)

Defense
    Pts/G 20.8– Yds/G 292.4– Rush Yds/G – 76.9 – Pass Yds/G 215.6 – Int 12-Sack 45

Pts/G 19.4– Yds/G 338.1– Rush Yds/G – 74.1 – Pass Yds/G 264.1 – Int 15-Sack 38

Pts/G 20.4– Yds/G 300.2– Rush Yds/G – 61.6 – Pass Yds/G 238.6 – Int 21-Sack 30

Pts/G 21.5– Yds/G 323.3– Rush Yds/G – 115.1 – Pass Yds/G 208.3 – Int 24-Sack 34

Pts/G 24.7– Yds/G 368.9– Rush Yds/G – 125.4 – Pass Yds/G 243.5 – Int 11-Sack 39

Pts/G 22.1– Yds/G 334.8– Rush Yds/G – 117.4 – Pass Yds/G 217.3 – Int 28-Sack 37

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/mi...ar=season_2006

bc whether you want to admit it or not, we have just as much if not more talent than both of those teams... maybe even combined...

just look at pro bowlers

matt birk
    AD
    Winfield
    Hutch
    Kdub
    Phat pat
    sharper
    Allen

az
    fITZ
    Boldin
    Warner
    wilson

Pitt
    Ben
    hines ward
    james harrison
    palamalu
    farrior

so when you break it down, i know pro bowlers don't mean everything, but we have quite a few guys that either are p.bowlers or have been in the last two years... and 1 less than both of the sb teams combined..
    I love it when people pull the "Prowbowler" numbers out thier jiggly butt as proof.

How about the Cowboys....They had 13 of them this year.......Whats your point.....

so when ppl say, give it time, YES, i'm one of those ppl that is willing to wait, but when you have talent like we do, it's kind of hard to justify giving someone more time!!
    More time.
    When/were did you see me asking for that.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

I prefer pessimism when it comes to the Vikings. Do you really expect blind faith in an organization that has failed to achieve it's goal, every year since 1961? Although I believe we could win the Superbowl, every year, deep down inside I know we are the Vikings, and the guys in purple will fall into the arms of failure. Maybe someday I will be pleasantly surprised, and the longer I wait the more pleasant it will be.

Maybe I will start believing in the Vikings greatness as I get old and realize I may never get to see a truly great Vikings team.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast