Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 121
  1. #1
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,005

    Why have Viking fans become so cynical?

    I think the main reason, especially young people, have become so cynical is because we want everything and we want it now. It's called "instant gratification." Instant everything. Instant messages, email, fax, internet. Instant food, the faster the better. Instant education, job, wealth. Instant medical service, diagnosis, and an instant cure. Right or wrong, good or bad, we want it now. We're especially seeing that now in our national politics where there is the mistaken belief that if we throw enough money at something it will instantly be fixed. It took 10 years to pull out of the "Great Depression." I don't think people will wait that long any more.
    But where this instant gratification has come to the forefront is in sports. The Yankees are spending huge amounts of money, as it pro-football, to buy the latest "star" to give the fans a winning team RIGHT NOW!
    I see this same attitude everywhere on PP.O, especially from the younger crowd who has never suffered through years and years of frustration. For me, personally, I've been a Viking fan since their first game in 1961. That's 47 years of ups and downs. But I've never wavered in my loyalty. Sure, I've complained about some things the team has done, but through it all, I've remained a loyal fan with always a hope for a better tomorrow. Always hoping that this year will be "the year."
    But I wonder if people who have grown up in a world of instant gratification will continue to have hope 47 years from now.
    To me, all the hatred, booing, threats, and other similar behavior is unnerving. Sure, I want to see the Vikings win a Super Bowl as much as anyone, but nothing worthwhile comes easy. But the Vikings are improving. This year we won the conference title. No small accomplishment. We haven't done it for 8 years. Maybe next year we'll win the NFC. There's always hope and that's what makes this team so frustrating and yet so fun. Can you imagine the celebration we'll all have when we finally "DO IT!"
    The people of Minnesota have changed in their attitude toward the Vikings. They have become so cynical that they almost didn't sell out a playoff game and they won't support the team's needs. I didn't see this attitude, even when we only won three games in 1984.
    Is this team perfect?
    No.
    Does this team have problem areas? Certainly. But every team in the NFL has problem areas to fix. Are they spending the kind of money the Vikings are to try and fix things. Heck no! We got the best cap guy in the NFL and the Wilf's have shown their willingness to spend money to get better.
    So, as things sit right now, I believe that 2009 won't be an even better season than 2008.
    Remember, despite the coaching and the QB play, this team has improved two games a season for the last couple of years, and they're going to continue to get better.
    Try to be patient!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

    When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Why have Viking fans become so cynical?

    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Try to be patient!
    Starting right now damnit....... ;D

    Sorry COJ, couldn't resist.
    Nice post my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Why have Viking fans become so cynical?

    Are you insinuating we have "Knee Jerkers" here?
    :P

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #4
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,533

    Re: Why have Viking fans become so cynical?

    I think there is something to be said for that... there's also something to be said about 2 second year coaches in the Super Bowl.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  5. #5
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Why have Viking fans become so cynical?

    "C" wrote:
    I think there is something to be said for that... there's also something to be said about 2 second year coaches in the Super Bowl.
    Especially since one inherited a SB winning team and coaching staff that required very minimal changes and a another one who only had to shore up a OL and some minor Defensive issues.

    Seriously, both of thier circumstances isn't anywere close to a team that had to be gutted to become competitive again.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #6
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why have Viking fans become so cynical?

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I think there is something to be said for that... there's also something to be said about 2 second year coaches in the Super Bowl.
    Especially since one inherited a SB winning team and coaching staff that required very minimal changes and a another one who only had to shore up a OL and some minor Defensive issues.

    Seriously, both of thier circumstances isn't anywere close to a team that had to be gutted to become competitive again.
    Matry, AZ had to undergoe a LOT of change to get to where they are right now.
    Let's be realistic.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #7
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Why have Viking fans become so cynical?

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I think there is something to be said for that... there's also something to be said about 2 second year coaches in the Super Bowl.
    Especially since one inherited a SB winning team and coaching staff that required very minimal changes and a another one who only had to shore up a OL and some minor Defensive issues.

    Seriously, both of thier circumstances isn't anywere close to a team that had to be gutted to become competitive again.
    Matry, AZ had to undergoe a LOT of change to get to where they are right now.
    Let's be realistic.
    I agree, however, alot of that change was already in place from Denny.
    Long story short, they were not devoid of talent and did not get gutted like the Vikes.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #8
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why have Viking fans become so cynical?

    "singersp" wrote:
    Are you insinuating we have "Knee Jerkers" here?
    :P
    I think he is saying that we have people who want instand gratification, not knee jerk reactions.
    Don't try and turn this into another TJack thread...

    I am personally not cynical.
    I believe that we will be even better in 2009.
    Primarily because we will continue to make changes and improvements where needed, as we have for the past three years.
    Building a team takes time, and we are damn close to the point in which we will see the fruits of our labor.
    In fact, we began seeing them this year with our best record in 8 years and our first NFC North division championship ever.

    Bring on 2009!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #9
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Why have Viking fans become so cynical?

    It will always be that way.
    When you have a bunch of people, most who have never coached a day in their life, and many that haven't even played the game at any level, and then they act like they know more than people that have dedicated their whole lives to the game then the only result is a sea of tards trying to be relatively more intelligent than each other.


    There is a reason we are called fanatics.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Why have Viking fans become so cynical?

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Are you insinuating we have "Knee Jerkers" here?
    :P
    I think he is saying that we have people who want instand gratification, not knee jerk reactions.
    Don't try and turn this into another TJack thread...

    I am personally not cynical.
    I believe that we will be even better in 2009.
    Primarily because we will continue to make changes and improvements where needed, as we have for the past three years.
    Building a team takes time, and we are gol 'darnit close to the point in which we will see the fruits of our labor.
    In fact, we began seeing them this year with our best record in 8 years and our first NFC North division championship ever.

    Bring on 2009!
    You almost had me ready to go off the deepend there for a minute. Then I thought about it......
    Way to reel me in my friend.... ;D

    Division Champions: (17)
    1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1989, 1992, 1994, 1998,
    2000, 2008
    http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl...a/vikings.html
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MOVED: Why have Viking fans become so cynical?
    By ultravikingfan in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 07:22 AM
  3. All viking fans
    By vikingsalltheway in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 01:13 PM
  4. Viking fans
    By vikingsalltheway in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 01:44 AM
  5. Why Are We Viking Fans?
    By dan3ski in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 01:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •