Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

WHY HAS RED NOT GIVEN TICE AN EXTENSION?

Well, as always I have another bitch about, our favorite person, Mr. Red McCombs. Please tell me the logic behind signing an entire coaching staff to multi year deals accept for the head coach? I just can't understand Red's thinking. I know that we did miss the playoffs last year, but I think that everyone can admit that Mike Tice is a fine coach and has built a very good team in his three years as head coach. This cannot do much for Tice's confidence, knowing that the team that he built and has coached into a very good team could be taken away from his just as they are meeting their potential! Maybee, somebody can give me your opinions on this and maybee explain what Red is trying to accomplish?

:scratch: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :scratch:
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Simple he prolly wont give tice an extension until tice surely makes the playoffs this time. Doing good in the preseason or doing good the first 7 or so games wont guarantee an extension.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: WHY HAS RED NOT GIVEN TICE AN EXTENSION?

"BigEasyViking" wrote:
    Well, as always I have another beeyatch about, our favorite person, Mr. Red McCombs. Please tell me the logic behind signing an entire coaching staff to multi year deals accept for the head coach? I just can't understand Red's thinking. I know that we did miss the playoffs last year, but I think that everyone can admit that Mike Tice is a fine coach and has built a very good team in his three years as head coach. This cannot do much for Tice's confidence, knowing that the team that he built and has coached into a very good team could be taken away from his just as they are meeting their potential! Maybee, somebody can give me your opinions on this and maybee explain what Red is trying to accomplish?

:scratch: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :scratch:
    Good question and no obvious reason for it at all. I believe that Red is waiting to see what happens this year based on Tice having sold him the idea of a three year plan when he got the job initially. If the team does well this year then he'll get an extension, if not then Red will show him the door.
    Don't forget Red came in '98 and was immediately given success for the first three years - including two NFCC games. Then we had DG's last season and Tice's first two, so Red probably considers that to be a drought in terms of success to what he was used to.
    Cottrell is considered by some to be worthy of a HC job so maybe Red would then be looking to him as a ready-made replacement if Tice didn'r get an extension
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Hey let us just believe he is leaving his options open dangling the golden carrot kind of thing :roll: then of course he could be thinking something like this

click here to see why :arrow: http://itchltd.tripod.com/casper/management

:scratch: not sure but hey who am I to know :thumbleft:
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

There was signficant calls for Tice's head after last season. Red had to come out and say he wasn't firing him. I'm not sure how that somehow segues into giving him an extension. Tice was the man in charge of one of the biggest regular season collapses in NFL history (not trying to antagonize, just stating facts), and I agree he needs to prove himself this year to get that extension. The Vikings had, and have, way too much talent to be striking out like that, and that comes down to coaching.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    There was signficant calls for Tice's head after last season. Red had to come out and say he wasn't firing him. I'm not sure how that somehow segues into giving him an extension. Tice was the man in charge of one of the biggest regular season collapses in NFL history (not trying to antagonize, just stating facts), and I agree he needs to prove himself this year to get that extension. The Vikings had, and have, way too much talent to be striking out like that, and that comes down to coaching.
    Yeah, the Vikings even have clandestine fans who pretend to follow the Packers. Know any of those, Los?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Probably TexPack. :lol:
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

I will give you one interesting tidbit about both Packer and Viking camps.

The Packer boards still tend to mention 4th and 26 on a daily basis. Most of the articles about the Packer refer to it also. Its kind of a haunting, monkey-on-the-back kind of thing.

What I find so interesting is that most Viking boards, or even articles about the Vikings, rarely ever mention the late-season collapse last year. Yeah, they'll mention the Arizona game once in a while, but not nearly as overlly-critical as the Packer play, where they are over-diagramming the play and finding exactly who was out of position, etc. etc.

I do think the Packers, the fans, and the media are way overplaying that.

However, I think the Vikes, their fans, and their media have a very short-term memory, as shown by the title of this thread. Not saying one is better than the other, though. Hopefully for you guys, Caveman Tice is actually thinking about it.

4th and 26 underscored what was a weakness all season...4th quarter comebacks by the other team, and defensive letdowns. I just hope we don't concentrate so much on stopping 4th and a mile instead of stopping 3rd and 7. Sherman is a little anal retentive and just might do that.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

This one is pretty easy, MONEY. Red is cheap and he has a coach under contract for pretty much nothing. Why would he give him a new contract worth a bunch of money, when he already has him signed for pretty much nothing? There really wouldn't be much basis for giving him an extension after we went 6-0 and didn't make the playoffs. If we do well this year, then tice will earn his big contract, it will then be up to red McCheap to open up his chechbook. There is an option in tice's contract for one more year, so red might take the cheap way out and use that option.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

What I find so interesting is that most Viking boards, or even articles about the Vikings, rarely ever mention the late-season collapse last year. Yeah, they'll mention the Arizona game once in a while, but not nearly as overly-critical as the Packer play, where they are over-diagramming the play and finding exactly who was out of position, etc. etc.
    I think its totally understandable why the packers are obsessed with this play. It was the best play that they had all year. :P Its the one that got them to the playoffs. Gawd knows they didn't get there because of their play all season. :bootyshake:

WWBGD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast