Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Why does everyone rip our pass defense ?

Question for Vikings Nation: why is our passing defense constantly being denigrated ? We are not that bad vs. the pass, and our defense is actually the best in the NFL right now (I play fantasy football, and my DST - defense, special teams is Minnesota. I won my league with them last year, BTW). I personally think that we have one of the best secondaries in the league. Winfield, Griffin, Sharper, Smith (or Williams), etc. Almost all pro bowlers. Yes, Favre got lucky and beat us last year, but I can't recall a single game in which we got torched deep for a TD. Giving up "junk yardage" at midfield is not my definition of being bad on defense. Yes, Tom Brady did destroy us last year, but the Patriots are cheaters, so I assume they were stealing our signals and it was just cheating. Why do we have the rep of being soft vs. the pass ?

vike68 is offline Rookie

Re: Why does everyone rip our pass defense ?

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Question for Vikings Nation: why is our passing defense constantly being denigrated ? We are not that bad vs. the pass, and our defense is actually the best in the NFL right now (I play fantasy football, and my DST - defense, special teams is Minnesota. I won my league with them last year, BTW). I personally think that we have one of the best secondaries in the league. Winfield, Griffin, Sharper, Smith (or Williams), etc. Almost all pro bowlers. Yes, Favre got lucky and beat us last year, but I can't recall a single game in which we got torched deep for a TD. Giving up "junk yardage" at midfield is not my definition of being bad on defense. Yes, Tom Brady did destroy us last year, but the Patriots are cheaters, so I assume they were stealing our signals and it was just cheating. Why do we have the rep of being soft vs. the pass ?

they rip our pass defense since its the sofest when it comes down to it. we might not give up the deep ball, but we give up almost everything underneath and than once were in our redzone is when its hard for teams to score.we have a bend but dont break defense, and and griffin gets beat like a rug all the time.

i hate the idea of dieing before another winning season

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

How can you bring Fantasy Football into this?
    They are good fantasy wise because of points allowed, takeaways, and defensive TD's.
    Dude this is reality football we are talking about.

Why do people rip the pass D?
    Did you watch the New England game last year?

Look where we rank this year and we have yet to face a stellar QB:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Passing&conference=NFL&ye ar=season_2007&sort=530&old_category=Total&old_gro up=Offense

We are 25th for crying out loud.

Look at last year....31st!
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Total&conference=NFL&year =season_2006&sort=1126&old_category=Total&old_grou p=Defense

We do they rip our pass D?
    Cause it is terrible and we sometimes make medicre QB's look like superstars.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Cuz they can't rip our RUN defense!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Cuz they can't rip our RUN defense!
    Good Point.
    Our Run D is pretty great.
    Thanks to Pat Williams.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I already mentioned that Patriots game in my original post, and I think it is not representative for a couple of reasons:

a. the Patriots cheat.
    b. Mike Tomlin is gone. He was responsible for that, because he made no adjustments all game.

I personally think that the Cover 2 is working very well. I mean, yes, we might be a bit "soft" in the medium pas range, but we lead the NFL in defensive TDs, so, I would argue, we are coming out on top.

What is up with that gator. I thought this was a PRO football forum.
    :

Kitna with Roy Williams, Mike Furrey and Calvin Johnson with Martz system will tear apart anybodys pass defense. Dont worry. He ripped apart Oaklands pass defense more then he ripped apart ours and Oakland has the #1 pass defense in the league. So We managed pretty well considering we are supposed to be the worst. The reason for that is because the only ran the ball somewhere around 7 times.
    Come on guys. Dont worry. People wont be able to do that against our defense all year. If we lose games we will lose like that.

Because of 3 things.

We dont run enough like on 3rd and short

Because Tarvaris Jackson throws 4 interceptions.

Because we go up against one of the best passing games in the league

Avoiding those things we are a decently dominant force in the NFC.

They are good fantasy wise because of points allowed, takeaways, and defensive TD's.
    Dude this is reality
    football we are talking about.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Passing&conference=NFL&ye ar=season_2007&sort=530&old_category=Total&old_gro up=Offense

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Total&conference=NFL&year =season_2006&sort=1126&old_category=Total&old_grou p=Defense
    Thats silly. I never thought a Vikes fan would bring something like that in here. you know rankings so you should know those rankings are so flawed. Its yards per game and if they pass it so many times more then everyone else does on other teams then those yardage goes up making us look worse. I would like someone to look up where we rank on yards allowed per pass attempt. Not as bad as per game i bet. That is what really determines how good we are against the pass. We arent as terrible as everyone thinks. We have a huge disadvantage if teams pass 20 more times against us then they do on other teams and in 20 attempts they get more then other teams do without those 20.
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:
    Kitna with Roy Williams, Mike Furrey and Calvin Johnson with Martz system will tear apart anybodys pass defense. Dont worry. He ripped apart Oaklands pass defense more then he ripped apart ours and Oakland has the #1 pass defense in the league. So We managed pretty well considering we are supposed to be the worst. The reason for that is because the only ran the ball somewhere around 7 times.
    Come on guys. Dont worry. People wont be able to do that against our defense all year. If we lose games we will lose like that.

Because of 3 things.

We dont run enough like on 3rd and short

Because Tarvaris Jackson throws 4 interceptions.

Because we go up against one of the best passing games in the league

Avoiding those things we are a decently dominant force in the NFC.

Dude this is reality
    football we are talking about.

Thats silly. I never thought a Vikes fan would bring something like that in here. you know rankings so you should know those rankings are so flawed. Its yards per game and if they pass it so many times more then everyone else does on other teams then those yardage goes up making us look worse. I would like someone to look up where we rank on yards allowed per pass attempt. Not as bad as per game i bet. That is what really determines how good we are against the pass. We arent as terrible as everyone thinks. We have a huge disadvantage if teams pass 20 more times against us then they do on other teams and in 20 attempts they get more then other teams do without those 20.

Gee, rankings are bad?
    I guess FF is more of a measure.

I guess I am not a Vikings fan pointing out we give up yards passing.

What was I thinking.

vike68 is offline Rookie

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I already mentioned that Patriots game in my original post, and I think it is not representative for a couple of reasons:

a. the Patriots cheat.
    b. Mike Tomlin is gone. He was responsible for that, because he made no adjustments all game.

I personally think that the Cover 2 is working very well. I mean, yes, we might be a bit "soft" in the medium pas range, but we lead the NFL in defensive TDs, so, I would argue, we are coming out on top.

What is up with that gator. I thought this was a PRO football forum.
    :
    this isnt the first year we began using the cover 2.
    and mike tomlin is the reason we have the d we have
    so why would you even try to take a shot at tomlin, reguarless
    of the patriots taping scandal, they are a far better team
    than any team in the nfl as of today.

oakland had the #1 pass defense last year and last year
    is last year and this year is this year, for all we know oakland
    could have the worst pass d this year.

its obvious our pass d is our weakness, and if you try to say otherwise u just plain dont understand the concept of football cause its pretty blatent.

i hate the idea of dieing before another winning season

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"StillPurple" wrote:

I hate it when people pull shit out of there ass.

We are not the best defense out there.

We are 3rd over all;

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Total&conference=NFL&year =season_2007&sort=1126&old_category=Passing&old_gr oup=Defense

6th in rushing & 25th in passing;

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Rankings&conference=NFL&y ear=season_2007&sort=1130&old_category=Total&old_g roup=Defense

30th in receiving yards/game;

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Receiving&conference=NFL& year=season_2007&sort=1124&old_category=Rankings&o ld_group=Defense

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast