Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Norseman1775 is offline Waterboy

Why do we need a RB?

I don't think our RB situation is much different than our WR situation. Both positions have solid players and and have good depth but no elite players. I feel real comfortable saying that Daunte will make the WRs look better than they are, and also feel comfortable saying that our O-line and Kleinsasser will make our RBs look better than they are. I think the main reason everyone believes we need an explosive WR is because we had Randy Moss all these years. If we would have just traded Ladanian Thomlinson to the Raiders everyone would be expecting us to draft one of the big three RBs. Personally I hope we get DJ at #7, but RBs that are worth being picked in the top 10 picks of the draft don't come along often (LT was the last one back in 01') and this year there are 3. I have never seen that kind of RB in a Vikings uniform. We don't have a huge need at RB, but I certainly won't shead any tears if we end up with any of the big 3 RBs.

Burley81 is offline Asst. Coach

Why do we need a RB?

#7-DJ

#18- Troy Williamson

Norseman1775 is offline Waterboy

Why do we need a RB?

"givemossthetoss" wrote:
    #7-DJ

#18- Troy Williamson

That would be great, but I don't think Williamson will be there at #18. He seems to be moving up the draft boards pretty quickly.

alberta_vike is offline Starter

Why do we need a RB?

#7-DJ

#18- Troy Williamson
    I really don't think you can count on either one of those players being there at those times, especially Williamson.

norzeman74 is offline Waterboy

Why do we need a RB?

The problem is that MWill, BEd, and DJ will all be gone by 7. Those three meet are 2 most pressing needs. Therfefore the options are taking the BPA=Benson, trading up to get one of the three, or trading down to get better value for TWilliamson, MCalyton, EJames, DCody, TDavis.

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

Why do we need a RB?

"givemossthetoss" wrote:
    "snakethejake83" wrote:
    I am honestly wondering why I keep reading people say that we need to "draft a RB" or trade for Edge/Alexander.

Ask yourself this question. Which running back in our system in the last basically 10 years hasnt done well? Hell Leroy Hoard was able to pick up the slack in 99 when Smith went down. We have a great offensive line every year basically because Tice has done a good job in that department. We led the NFL in rushing just two years ago.

IT DOESNT matter which running back we have back there. They are going to do well. Do we need to pick one back to stay back there? Yes. Tice already said he was going to. RB is the deepest part of our team and you want to draft another one. You claim that we didnt have a running game last year but remember, the best blocking FB in the league was basically injured last year, and we had a rookie starting at Tackle along with Birk out for a bit.

I just dont understand why people want to draft someone to add to our position with the most depth, which we are still VERY young at. MM is gonna be in his 2nd year, and onterrio in his 3rd. Bennett is to injury prone and needs to get traded. We also have moe williams back there who is a great 3rd down back.

After the signing of Sam, It points to one position to draft. WR. Marcus Robinson is getting older. Basically Burleson is our only proven one that can play. We need to draft a WR that can make plays THIS YEAR and not a Running back who will sit on the bench.

Remember, this is just MY opinion. Please pick it apart, i love to debate.
    Your right, we dont need a RB. The reason why our ground game sucks is because Tice is stupid enough to not start MM. MM had our only 100-yd games this year, but Tice said "he needs to carve a role for himself". If we start MM next year, our ground game will be beast.
    i agree moore is a lil monster, he can catch, he is quick, and i love how i saw him hiding behind our other players while they block then you see moore dash for the open field at the right time. he is the best running back on our team.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

Why do we need a RB?

"ADubya26" wrote:
    No Moss=Much tougher to run the ball

Almost any RB looks good when they have a pretty good O line like we do and when they are only facing 7 men in the box.

The only RB that I think would be up to the challenge would be Onterrio, and thats not even known really. Also, as briboy mentioned, he is on the brink of pulling a Ricky.

If we got Ronnie Brown or Cedric Benson, I think we would finally see that the RBs we have now are pretty average.
    so what your trying to say is that derrick alexander, and jamal lewis, and curtis martin all have a randy moss on their team? please explain i can't understand how this could be true.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

sitandbehitski is offline Asst. Coach

Why do we need a RB?

You think Barry Sanders had a good line and a WR threat to take pressure off him?

Hold your horses, I do agree we'll so more guys against the run then we had in previous years with moss, but it isn't going to be 8 men in the box on every play like you seem to think it is.

We still have the 2nd best QB in the league, a 70+ catches tight end (wiggins) a 1000+ yard wr (burleson) the best blocking TE in the league (kleinsasser) and a big, physical Offensive Line. We'll be fine in both the run game and the pass game.

I think we should just go with the BPA (best player available) option again,whether it be Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, Derrick Johnson, or one of the 3 running backs.

With a better D we can afford to have a less effective Offense anyway.
    I may be an a$$, but at least I m a smart one

viks_fan21 is offline Asst. Coach

Why do we need a RB?

Everyone says Tice does such a bad job, if that is true, why would we fire him? We could just move him back to OLine coach and continue the tradition of dominent Vikings OLine.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Why do we need a RB?

My 2 cents:

We don't need another RB. We're solid there. 3/4 of those guys could start almost anywhere else, and Moe is so solid that he earns his roster spot. Drafting a stud RB would deviate from our current (correct) plan.

We don't really need a Prime-Time receiver to replace Moss either. We need a core of stable, solid, dependable receivers...we have that.

Packer fans will tell you - if you ask them nicely - that the best thing Sterling Sharpe did for Favre was to RETIRE. Sharpe was a great Receiver, but his absence forced Favre to be better. Moss' absence will force Culpepper to be better.

For the first time, the "O" is being built around Daunte. His arm, his wheels, his head. There is no safety net (Moss), there is no one else to lean on (i.e. use as a crutch). This is where Culpepper gets to step up and PROVE he's as good as we say he is.

Our PRESSING needs have been addressed. We have a solid Defensive nucleus now - for the first time in YEARS. Another LB or D-Lineman would be nice, but we're looking good right now...on paper. The TT signing added another solid receiver to our list of solid receivers.

What we need now is for the team to gell. Draft the BEST AVAILABLE at your pick...regardless of position. We are in a good place now, we have WANTS and not NEEDS. That gives us a LOT of bargaining ability on draft day, and means that we can only improve our team with every pick...we're not depending upon some Rookie to save our bacon/alter our destiny.

We're on the right track...let's hope the wheels stay ON this time.

Caine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123