Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

why do the viking db's play so far off the line?

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    "skogs02" wrote:
    cuz if they play tighter coverage it is much easier for the wideouts to burn them deep!
    Brian Williams is quite proficient and getting burned on his own.
    Another thing, B Will played 94 plays in the detriot game including running all the way down field on specail teams everytime they kick. He played 100 plays against the packers. What the average # of plays for a starting defensive player? Maybe 50 at the most. We are very injured in the secondary and we are having to use our starters on specail teams. Since winfield has been out B Will has been our playmaker, Intercepting two passes in the last two games (not GB). INT in the lions game was huge.

Fact is we need to fix this, we cant have him running around trying to defend Javon Walker on queezy legs. We need to get him back to playing CB, and only CB.

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

I agree that the cushion our DBs give the WRs is excessive, and I don't understand why they do it??? If you have a Moss or equally talented WR across from you, why not mug the hell out of him and jam him up in the first five yards instead of letting him fly? Do some of these guys have such quick moves and fancy footwork that they can fake our DBs out of their jocks on the line? I say mug'em, screw up the route timing, and hopefully the line will get to the QB...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

mark is offline Asst. Coach

My buddys is a jets fan and he said the same thing about contrell.Dbs play off and the little dump of passes and short routs where they run 10 yards before you even see a defender.that kills me
    <!--
    sig -->

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

"whackthepack" wrote:
    Move up to the line and knock a couple receivers on their ass, send a message to the league that we can hit and we can hurt you! Plus it will disrupt some timing patterns or routes over the middle.
    Exactly. You don't see many defensive backs doing this anymore, they used to do it all the time. I think they're afraid of the enforcement of the bump rule but still you've got five yards to level the receiver...use them.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12