Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Why a casino financed stadium won't work

    I liked the idea when it was first brought up here in PP.O, but I always wondered if the league would go for it.
    Turns out they won't.

    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/06/league-buzzes-over-rooney-situation/

    In this blog about Dan Rooney, the following statement is made:
    As the source explained, majority and minority owners can have no interest in gambling.
    In fact, the league even prohibits holding one share of stock in a publicly-traded company whose operations include casino gambling.

    Meanwhile, the Rooneys not only have interests in dog racing (which is, along with horse racing, exempt from the NFL’s anti-gambling rules), but they have slot machines, too.
    And they’ve owned and operated them since at least 2006.
    Yet, the NFL hasn’t demanded that the Rooneys choose between gambling or football.

    It’s an “egregious double standard,” the source said, pointing out that no other ownership group would be permitted to be involved so heavily in gambling for even a short period of time.
    Sounds to me that if the league prohibits an owner from even holding stock in a company that has gambling, then they certainly wouldn't approve of a stadium funded by gambling.

    Too bad, because it could have been an elegant solution.
    But I would guess that this is why is has never been brought up.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #2
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why a casino financed stadium won't work

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I liked the idea when it was first brought up here in PP.O, but I always wondered if the league would go for it.
    Turns out they won't.

    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/06/league-buzzes-over-rooney-situation/

    In this blog about Dan Rooney, the following statement is made:
    As the source explained, majority and minority owners can have no interest in gambling.
    In fact, the league even prohibits holding one share of stock in a publicly-traded company whose operations include casino gambling.

    Meanwhile, the Rooneys not only have interests in dog racing (which is, along with horse racing, exempt from the NFL’s anti-gambling rules), but they have slot machines, too.
    And they’ve owned and operated them since at least 2006.
    Yet, the NFL hasn’t demanded that the Rooneys choose between gambling or football.

    It’s an “egregious double standard,” the source said, pointing out that no other ownership group would be permitted to be involved so heavily in gambling for even a short period of time.
    Sounds to me that if the league prohibits an owner from even holding stock in a company that has gambling, then they certainly wouldn't approve of a stadium funded by gambling.

    Too bad, because it could have been an elegant solution.
    But I would guess that this is why is has never been brought up.
    So what you are saying is that Rooney can do it, but nobody else can?


    The way I proposed it anyway should still float, where the state and the tribe build the complex and the vikings pay the team rent and get concessions, parking revenue and naming rights etc. That way the team does not own the gambling part of it, but get the revenue they desire.

  3. #3
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why a casino financed stadium won't work

    unlikely.
    The only reason the Rooney's are allowed, is because they were in place well before the NFL introduced those rules.
    Just how the Packers are allowed to still be publically owned.
    now i believe you need one person with 35% ownership, but the Packers had their ownership arranged waaayy before the NFL introduced those rules, so they're allowed to continue, but no other teams can start like that.

  4. #4
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why a casino financed stadium won't work

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I liked the idea when it was first brought up here in PP.O, but I always wondered if the league would go for it.
    Turns out they won't.

    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/06/league-buzzes-over-rooney-situation/

    In this blog about Dan Rooney, the following statement is made:
    As the source explained, majority and minority owners can have no interest in gambling.
    In fact, the league even prohibits holding one share of stock in a publicly-traded company whose operations include casino gambling.

    Meanwhile, the Rooneys not only have interests in dog racing (which is, along with horse racing, exempt from the NFL’s anti-gambling rules), but they have slot machines, too.
    And they’ve owned and operated them since at least 2006.
    Yet, the NFL hasn’t demanded that the Rooneys choose between gambling or football.

    It’s an “egregious double standard,” the source said, pointing out that no other ownership group would be permitted to be involved so heavily in gambling for even a short period of time.
    Sounds to me that if the league prohibits an owner from even holding stock in a company that has gambling, then they certainly wouldn't approve of a stadium funded by gambling.

    Too bad, because it could have been an elegant solution.
    But I would guess that this is why is has never been brought up.
    Does the team have to own the stadium? Can it rent?

  5. #5
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,491

    Re: Why a casino financed stadium won't work

    And you'll have guys like this taking your ticket stubs...

    [img width=450 height=336]http://www.notorious92.com/images/newton/Robert.DeNiro.Joe.Pesci.From.Casino.Film.jpg[/img]
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  6. #6
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why a casino financed stadium won't work

    "C" wrote:
    And you'll have guys like this taking your ticket stubs...

    [img width=450 height=336]http://www.notorious92.com/images/newton/Robert.DeNiro.Joe.Pesci.From.Casino.Film.jpg[/img]
    When they pour the footings, it will be a good place to hide certain things that get in the way

  7. #7
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278

    Re: Why a casino financed stadium won't work

    I don't think the NFL can dictate where the state portion comes from. Minneapolis could build the casino take that revenue and stick it into highway maintenance and then use the highway money to build a stadium. I don't think the vikings would have any ownership over the casino. Personally I'm not sure the state should support casinos at all, gambling leads to crime, and poverty. Many lives have been ruined because of gambling.

  8. #8
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why a casino financed stadium won't work

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I don't think the NFL can dictate where the state portion comes from. Minneapolis could build the casino take that revenue and stick it into highway maintenance and then use the highway money to build a stadium. I don't think the vikings would have any ownership over the casino. Personally I'm not sure the state should support casinos at all, gambling leads to crime, and poverty. Many lives have been ruined because of gambling.
    I am not a fan of gambling either, but if we are going to allow tribes to do it then we should also allow the state to .

  9. #9
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Why a casino financed stadium won't work

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I don't think the NFL can dictate where the state portion comes from. Minneapolis could build the casino take that revenue and stick it into highway maintenance and then use the highway money to build a stadium. I don't think the vikings would have any ownership over the casino. Personally I'm not sure the state should support casinos at all, gambling leads to crime, and poverty. Many lives have been ruined because of gambling.
    Yeah, but we already have casinos here.
    The areas these many casinos are built in aren't known for high crime rates or poverty...those two items are rampent in Minneapolis though where there are no casinos.

  10. #10
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Why a casino financed stadium won't work

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I don't think the NFL can dictate where the state portion comes from. Minneapolis could build the casino take that revenue and stick it into highway maintenance and then use the highway money to build a stadium. I don't think the vikings would have any ownership over the casino. Personally I'm not sure the state should support casinos at all, gambling leads to crime, and poverty. Many lives have been ruined because of gambling.
    Many lives have been ruined by TV.
    Many lives have been ruined by the Internet.
    Many lives have been ruined by automobiles.
    Many lives have been ruined by organized religion.

    Shall I continue?

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Craps player sets record at NJ casino
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 12:47 PM
  2. Charles Barkley pays casino the $400,000 he owes them.
    By vikingivan in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 06:06 PM
  3. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 03:04 PM
  4. The First Stadium To Be Publicly-Financed?
    By Benet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-23-2006, 09:56 PM
  5. Still looking for work
    By COJOMAY in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 07:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •