Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikingsFan4Lyfe is offline Training Camp

Why cant we ever close a game?

For as long as I can remember watching the vikings, accept for the 1998 season. Why can't we ever just get a lead and keep? Last sunday we let the Greenbay Packers get the lead back, and the game vs the Saints I swear to god we tried to let them win! I just wish I could sit back in a fourth quarter, enjoy my food and know this ones in the bag.

LincolnVike is offline Rookie

Re: Why cant we ever close a game?

We've had a few games here and there that have been total blowouts on our behalf.
    To expect that for an extended period of time is asking for a lot, IMO.

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

"VikingsFan4Lyfe" wrote:
    For as long as I can remember watching the vikings, accept for the 1998 season. Why can't we ever just get a lead and keep? Last sunday we let the Greenbay Packers get the lead back, and the game vs the Saints I swear to god we tried to let them win! I just wish I could sit back in a fourth quarter, enjoy my food and know this ones in the bag.
    three games last year, the lions, 49ers and giants. the giants game was an odd game in that our D and special teams choked the life out of them, but the lions and 49er games were blowouts
    Nov 25
    MIN 41 @ NYG 17
    Dec 02
    DET 10 @ MIN 42
    Dec 09
    MIN 27 @ SF 7

...hey will u look at who the qb was during those games :P
    (what i thought was a nice stat was that jackson had zero INTs. unlike our qb who deceded to take risks in the passing game and throw a td to the other team when in a comfortable lead)

edit: one int in the detroit game

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Our special teams are terrible. We keep giving up punt return and kick return TDs. It is hard to hold a lead when you allow that.

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

It's called Chillyball >
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

what happened in the offseason that turned this special teams squad into swiss cheese?

ragz is offline GM

"petrodemos" wrote:
    "VikingsFan4Lyfe" wrote:
    three games last year, the lions, 49ers and giants. the giants game was an odd game in that our D and special teams choked the life out of them, but the lions and 49er games were blowouts
    Nov 25
    MIN 41 @ NYG 17
    Dec 02
    DET 10 @ MIN 42
    Dec 09
    MIN 27 @ SF 7

...hey will u look at who the qb was during those games :P
    (what i thought was a nice stat was that jackson had zero INTs. unlike our qb who deceded to take risks in the passing game and throw a td to the other team when in a comfortable lead)

edit: one int in the detroit game
    you can't bring that up.
    it would prove to people that jackson did have some good games, and did make some progress.

bottom line its cuz childress starts to coach like he has to just hold onto a lead instead of knocking a team out.
    but its true all that other stupidity we do as a team is a huge factor.
    but 2 games that were not influenced by special teams, houston and indy were 2 games we had and were letting slip away.
    and we went 1-1, which happens most times when you coach like that.
    but to be fair, which is rare for me when talking about childress,
    childress is in a lose lose.
    cuz if he continues to be agressive and ferrotte throws more picks childress will get basted, and if he goes conservative we get mad when the other team starts catchin up or does catch up.
    my prefernce is you put the team away and go get your points.
    if you go get points at the end of the first half instead of running the ball and holding on to timeouts you are never gonna end up using, you wont have to worry about guys missing field goals in the 4th quarter to win games.
    plus, if you are that scared your qbs are gonna screw the game up for you, why are you signing or playing any of these guys.
    you should have confidence that you can keep playing your game in the 3rd quarter and not mess it up enough for the other team to come back off of our mistakes.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

i completely agree,
    when i mentioned the "take risks in the passing game when your in a comfortable lead" part i meant that frerotte took a risk throwing that pass, i didnt mind the play called at all, its that frerotte was trying to force a ball when he could have played it safe and thrown it away.

but its true, if we run run run there, afterwards we get upset at not having that killer instinct.

ragz is offline GM

"petrodemos" wrote:
    i completely agree,
    when i mentioned the "take risks in the passing game when your in a comfortable lead" part i meant that frerotte took a risk throwing that pass, i didnt mind the play called at all, its that frerotte was trying to force a ball when he could have played it safe and thrown it away.

but its true, if we run run run there, afterwards we get upset at not having that killer instinct.
    well in the end it was just a terrible throw, and a terrible read cuz he had wade wide open.
    but in the end that ended up being our only shot in the 2nd half downfield.
    maybe if we connect thats all we woulda needed, but since it worked out so poorly we want safe and luckily the line and peterson just took over.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

huxx is offline Pro-Bowler

"petrodemos" wrote:
    what happened in the offseason that turned this special teams squad into swiss cheese?
    I never thought about this until now, but the loss of Farwell really hurt us.
    I'm sure it's not just that one guy, but he was definitely our ST leader and a monster in every play

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast