Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Re:Why can't Favre repeat or improve over last year?

bsmithberkley wrote:
    IMO the yardage and TDs will be there for him.

In fact, I could see an increase in yardage:

1. Starting the season more familiar with team
    2.a. Tougher schedule (more passing)
    2.b. Tougher schedule, fewer 4th Quarters on bench
    3. Berrian Healthy

The big question to me is Interceptions, that's what made last year so special. But you can't have everything. Hopefully AP stops fumbling so much so it won't mean anything in the global sense.
    I agree almost completely here. I suspect an increase in passing yards and passing TDs, but also in interceptions, quite possibly a significant one. I would not be surprised to see last year's total doubled, or even more.

I am not sure I agree that a tougher schedule necessarily equates to more passing, but I do suspect a bit more playing time for Favre (barring injury, of course), and somewhat improved protection as well, which should help.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

vikingstd is offline Waterboy

Because Favre can have a slight drop off and still have a great season. I'd be interested to know if more than 30 TD's and less than 10 INT's has EVER been done in back to back seasons.

I think so...
    None

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

He could, but it will be a more difficult task.

The schedule is not as kind to us as last year

The division will all be improved over last year

-GB will have one more year in the 3-4 and they sent Kampmann packing. When he went out the whole defense got better. Their offense will be as good or better than last year. Not an easy task to beat the 4x in a row.

- Chicago will be better on defense than last year. The secondary is a ? but I expect them to put more pressure on the OL and we have not upgraded that unit at all.

-Detroit. Well, they are Detroit but they will be a better team than we have seen in a while from them. They are digging out of the hole that Millen dug for them and while they won't challenge for the division, they will not be a team we can overlook.

The offense should be decent, although the old man under center is not getting any younger, the OL, which has been erratic since Childress got here did not get any stronger and Sullivan hasn't gotten any bigger so I still expect him to have the same problems with NT's he had last year. The passing game should see improvement with another year of chemistry to bond them and hopefully Peterson either learns to hold on to the ball or is benched, which will take care of that problem.

I would like to see them win 2 more postseason games than they won this year: the NFC Championship and the SB. Then it will be an improvement.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I think the saints gave teams an idea of how to get to Favre. I think we'll see more teams(especially the packers) putting more pressure on Favre. Favre will make them pay, but they will make Favre pay too(much like the saints game).

I definetly think this team can be better, I'm just not sure Favre left much room for improvement.

I think our special teams will be better, simply because we are deeper at most positions.

I think our defense has lots of room for improvement. Their interceptions totals will most likely go up(cancelling out Favre's increase).

The offense will be fine, we are loaded with talent.

I think the x-factor will be team chemistry. Last year the team chemistry was great. More experience together doesn't guarantee better team chemistry.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

jmcdon00 wrote:
    I think the saints gave teams an idea of how to get to Favre.
    I think that is a common misconception.

No team is going to look at what the Saints did against us and use it as a blueprint to beat the Vikings in 2010. Mostly because the Saints defense more or less failed against the Vikings.

Favre was 28 for 46 for 1 TD and 2 INTs. The offense put up 475 yards of total offense and 28 points. The score could have been much high had the Vikings not shot themselves in the foot several times.

Very few teams have the offensive firepower to beat the Vikings when we score 28+ points. And there is no team that can beat us when we score 35+ points.

The Saints showed that they were good on offense, and very lucky on defense. No coach is going to try and recreate that.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

NodakPaul wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:

No team is going to look at what the Saints did against us and use it as a blueprint to beat the Vikings in 2010. Mostly because the Saints defense more or less failed against the Vikings.

Favre was 28 for 46 for 1 TD and 2 INTs. The offense put up 475 yards of total offense and 28 points. The score could have been much high had the Vikings not shot themselves in the foot several times.

Very few teams have the offensive firepower to beat the Vikings when we score 28+ points. And there is no team that can beat us when we score 35+ points.

The Saints showed that they were good on offense, and very lucky on defense. No coach is going to try and recreate that.

I think all jmcdon meant, was the pressure that was put on Favre...not necessarily the entire gameplan/scheme. As for the turnovers, well...I would hope that AD isn't the only one focusing on fixing that, since he wasn't the only one who coughed up the ball throughout the season.

I do agree with your general attitude, though. Some people are acting as if the entire League has improved by leaps and bounds, but our guys have actually moved backwards. And what's funny, is that they're using the examples to try to prove their points in comparison, such as, "Oh, well their [insert squad here] has had a full year and offseason to gel and come together".....like ours haven't?

We'll see some new stuff, sure...but it won't be anything our guys can't handle.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

NodakPaul wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:

It's not like there will be a cookie cutter formula for beating the Vikings, we're a very good team. I just think if I were making a game plan it would involve hitting Favre early and often. Yes they got burned a couple times but with our offense that will happen regardless of the gameplan.

I think we will see other teams taking late hits on him and just accepting the 15 yard penalties(those calls will be made in the regular season).

This will be especially true of the Packers because they know those hits will hurt the vikings all season long. I'm not sure if Favre could have played the following week on that ankle, it definetly would have slowed him down.

It was the first time all season we saw Favre rattled(the final pick).

The teams that beat us in 2010 scored; 27, 30, 26, 36, 31 so teams already know they will need to score points to win.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Purple Floyd wrote:

-GB will have one more year in the 3-4 and they sent Kampmann packing. When he went out the whole defense got better. Their offense will be as good or better than last year. Not an easy task to beat the 4x in a row.

- Chicago will be better on defense than last year. The secondary is a ? but I expect them to put more pressure on the OL and we have not upgraded that unit at all.

-Detroit. Well, they are Detroit but they will be a better team than we have seen in a while from them. They are digging out of the hole that Millen dug for them and while they won't challenge for the division, they will not be a team we can overlook.

The offense should be decent, although the old man under center is not getting any younger, the OL, which has been erratic since Childress got here did not get any stronger and Sullivan hasn't gotten any bigger so I still expect him to have the same problems with NT's he had last year. The passing game should see improvement with another year of chemistry to bond them and hopefully Peterson either learns to hold on to the ball or is benched, which will take care of that problem.

I would like to see them win 2 more postseason games than they won this year: the NFC Championship and the SB. Then it will be an improvement.
    Sure the other division teams have made moves to improve, but not more than the Vikes have.

Sure GB has a year of 3-4 experience, but they've added nobody to the mix of any quality. Didn't even draft a single LB. Their offense has peaked, except for adding 2 more OT's in the draft they've really done nothing there.

Bears still don't have a WR worth a crap. Maybe Cutler will show something. Peppers will add some serious push on D. But I don't see much improvement besides Peppers.

Detroit is adding quality talent all over the place. Benefit of being at the bottom. But still aren't going to challenge any time soon.

IMO the Vikes had 2 weaknesses OL and secondary.

Sure the Vikes didn't add anyone to the OL, but I think the year of experience for Sully and Load, that alone is a big improvement. Also, keeping the same 5 is a good thing for chemistry. Throw in Herrera being healthy it's a plus. McKinnie is the wildcard.

I think the Vikes secondary will be better. Addition of Lito and Cook are both improvements. The Jets didn't keep Lito because of poor play, they didn't want to pay the $10 mill roster bonus. IMO he's got alot in the tank and wants to show it to the Jet (ala Sharper).

I think the Vikes will be strong and Favre will get a quick start and WILL match or beat last years #'s. INT's are the only ??, but a few more won't kill if they are off set by fewer fumbles.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

gagarr wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:

Sure the other division teams have made moves to improve, but not more than the Vikes have.

Sure GB has a year of 3-4 experience, but they've added nobody to the mix of any quality. Didn't even draft a single LB. Their offense has peaked, except for adding 2 more OT's in the draft they've really done nothing there.

Bears still don't have a WR worth a crap. Maybe Cutler will show something. Peppers will add some serious push on D. But I don't see much improvement besides Peppers.

Detroit is adding quality talent all over the place. Benefit of being at the bottom. But still aren't going to challenge any time soon.

IMO the Vikes had 2 weaknesses OL and secondary.

Sure the Vikes didn't add anyone to the OL, but I think the year of experience for Sully and Load, that alone is a big improvement. Also, keeping the same 5 is a good thing for chemistry. Throw in Herrera being healthy it's a plus. McKinnie is the wildcard.

I think the Vikes secondary will be better. Addition of Lito and Cook are both improvements. The Jets didn't keep Lito because of poor play, they didn't want to pay the $10 mill roster bonus. IMO he's got alot in the tank and wants to show it to the Jet (ala Sharper).

I think the Vikes will be strong and Favre will get a quick start and WILL match or beat last years #'s. INT's are the only ??, but a few more won't kill if they are off set by fewer fumbles.
    Not saying you are wrong, but I am going to stand by what I said and that was spelled out in the first sentence and that is it will not be as easy as it was last year. Possible- Yes and for all of the reasons you pointed out.

My examples were only the divisional hurdles that we will face. The point of that is there are no teams in the division who will be taking a step back as is usually the case. Barring injuries to key players I think it is safe to say all of the teams in the division will be better than they were last year so the competition will be greater.

If we take the position that Brett is going to do better than last year against the division, then we can also look at the games against the rest of the league.

I believe he will do very well against

Buffalo.
    Arizona.

Those games appear to me to be the easiest games on the schedule outside the division.

Then we have the next tier games

Miami
    Washington
    Dallas
    NE
    NYG
    NYJ
    Philly
    N.O

These games by and large will not be a cake walk for him.IMHO this mix will be a tougher test than he was given last season and will take improvement just to stay even. Personally I would like to see us run the table on this group and run rampant on the Saints and Dallas especially.

But it will be a more difficult task than last year.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

gagarr wrote:

Sure the Vikes didn't add anyone to the OL, but I think the year of experience for Sully and Load, that alone is a big improvement. Also, keeping the same 5 is a good thing for chemistry.
    How can you blatantly contradict yourself like that. which is it? You say the vikings have improvement even though they didn't add anyone, just because we have another year of experience. Well why wouldn't that work for the packers and the 3-4 defense?

The packers defense improved so much last year towards the end of the year, and another year will make them be that much better.

The packers offense has peaked? Well if the only knock on them was that their oline sucked a big one, and they got two new OTs, I think that should help a bunch. Not to mention another year for their rookie Oline from last year.

I think GB will win the division. I honestly hope we destroy them, but I see us splitting with them and getting in with a wild card. After the play offs start though, its anybody's guess
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast