Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Why can't Favre repeat or improve over last year?

IF Favre comes back.

I don't see why all the analysts are saying he can't repeat his performance or improve on it over last year.

Here's how I see it:

1. OL should be more solid with Sully and Load more experienced and Herrera healthy. Also their chemisty with each other improved.

2. Harvin will be even better.

3. Look at the starting receiving corp, BB, Sidney, & Shank all are at the top of their game.

4. The one two punch of AD and Toby should make teams cringe.

5. Only down point is if CT's blocking and receiving can be replaced. But I always thought putting CT in telegraphed PASS, which now with Toby it shouldn't.

D will get the ball back to the O.
    I don't see the D being much weaker even with Griff and EJ down for a few games. Lito is a good pickup, Brink should be improved, Asher and Cook should push each other. IMO secondary should be improved.

Greenway and Edwards will be playing in their contract year which always seems to bring a bit more out of the player.

I see a improved Vikings team that should only help Favre repeat or possibly improve on last year.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Why can't Favre repeat or improve over last year?

Look at any player who had a great season. They rarely, if ever replicate that.

Statistically, Favre didn't have outstanding numbers. 4000+ yards, 33 TD's, 7 INT's, all very good, but its HOW he played the game, not the statsheet.

There's no stat for the type of throw made vs. San Fran.

So, you have to figure, The average year for Favre, off the top of my head is about 3800 yards, 30 TD's 18 INT's. Half of the seasons are better, half is worse. He considers last season his best yet, but we saw how he grew more aggressive towards the end of the season, and that gunslinger mentality came back. I'm sure it will be there next season. Remember, he had one of the best TD:INT ratios all time last season. Coming from a guy who holds the record for most INT's. I just can't see it.

Just like how Manning/Brady didn't come close to touching their records the following year, how CJ won't hit 2K again, and how LT has never topped his TD totals.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Why can't Favre repeat or improve over last year?

Because Marrdro says so and even if he Favre does improve over last year, he will tell us how he didn't.

Seriously, no crystal ball in my hands. Don't know what to expect, but I can't see anyone else giving us a better chance to go the distance.

reyez is offline Waterboy

Re:Why can't Favre repeat or improve over last year?

Favre was playing with heavy emotions. Besides the schedule is much tougher this year and that bye week early will drain him.
    None

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

reyez wrote:
    Favre was playing with heavy emotions. Besides the schedule is much tougher this year and that bye week early will drain him.
    I agree the schedule and the bye week are not in the Vikes favor.

IMO the only good thing is the first half of the season is the worst. @NO, @NYJ, bye, DAL, @GB, @NE, while Favre is still freshish.

The second half has: GB, @PHI

Granted CHI should be better, but without WR's I'm not sure how much better they will be.

Thus, hopefully the Vikes won't have to rely on the passing game to win many of those games.

As for the back to back great seasons are unlikely, well a 40yr old QB playing like a kid is just as unlikely.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

You mean "when" he comes back right?

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

gagarr wrote:
    IF Favre comes back.

I don't see why all the analysts are saying he can't repeat his performance or improve on it over last year.

Here's how I see it:

1. OL should be more solid with Sully and Load more experienced and Herrera healthy. Also their chemisty with each other improved.
    The play of McKinnie, however, is unlikely to improve much - especially since his Pro Bowl nomination. That in itself is a HUGE failing. And with Chicago adding Peppers, that's 2 games right there where McKinnie could really hurt us...unless he pulls his head out of his ass.

gagarr wrote:
    2. Harvin will be even better.
    We hope...

gagarr wrote:
    3. Look at the starting receiving corp, BB, Sidney, & Shank all are at the top of their game.
    Berrian really didn't do too much last season. Sure, injury was a concern, but I haven't been overly impressed with him - he hasn't been what we hoped he would be. At the end of the day, we have a GOOD receiving Corps...but not one that I would consider "Elite".

gagarr wrote:
    4. The one two punch of AD and Toby should make teams cringe.
    Toby, being a rookie, is an unknown. He might be another Faison for all we know. As such, teams won't be cringing at all when Toby hits the field...not until he MAKES them, and that's going to take awhile. When you consider how teams never really took notice of Chester, I still consider this to be a loss at this point. Chester was a known quantity - and a valuable one. Toby is still a question mark.

gagarr wrote:
    5. Only down point is if CT's blocking and receiving can be replaced. But I always thought putting CT in telegraphed PASS, which now with Toby it shouldn't.
    CT had many great runs because teams considered him to be a pass indicator. We lost that when we didn't renew him.

gagarr wrote:
    D will get the ball back to the O.
    I don't see the D being much weaker even with Griff and EJ down for a few games. Lito is a good pickup, Brink should be improved, Asher and Cook should push each other. IMO secondary should be improved.

Greenway and Edwards will be playing in their contract year which always seems to bring a bit more out of the player.
    Secondary, IMO, is still our Achilles Heel. Teams don't run on us because they know they can't...but they know they CAN pass. We need the front 4 to be terrors, and the secondary to step up big time if we expect to become a dominant Defense.

gagarr wrote:
    I see a improved Vikings team that should only help Favre repeat or possibly improve on last year.
    I don't really see the improvement. Maybe a few individuals like Harvin, Loadholt, Brinkley, or Sullivan, but as a TEAM? Not really.

Meanwhile, many of our opponents have been addressing issues they have had far more aggresssively.

Bottom line, the LIKELYHOOD of a season as good or better than last season is low. Make no mistake, we can beat every team on our schedule - which isn't something I claim every year. We ARE a strong team (With Favre under center), but I agree with the analysts. I expect to see us having to work a bit harder to get through this next season.

Caine

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Because Favre can have a slight drop off and still have a great season. I'd be interested to know if more than 30 TD's and less than 10 INT's has EVER been done in back to back seasons.

And the team having a better record also seems unlikely given that the schedule at this point, seems to be tougher.

I would bet against Favre having better stats.
    I would bet against the team having a better record.
    I would not bet against the team going farther.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

IMO the yardage and TDs will be there for him.

In fact, I could see an increase in yardage:

1. Starting the season more familiar with team
    2.a. Tougher schedule (more passing)
    2.b. Tougher schedule, fewer 4th Quarters on bench
    3. Berrian Healthy

The big question to me is Interceptions, that's what made last year so special. But you can't have everything. Hopefully AP stops fumbling so much so it won't mean anything in the global sense.
    None

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

bsmithberkley wrote:
    IMO the yardage and TDs will be there for him.

In fact, I could see an increase in yardage:

1. Starting the season more familiar with team
    2.a. Tougher schedule (more passing)
    2.b. Tougher schedule, fewer 4th Quarters on bench
    3. Berrian Healthy

The big question to me is Interceptions, that's what made last year so special. But you can't have everything. Hopefully AP stops fumbling so much so it won't mean anything in the global sense.
    I agree almost completely here. I suspect an increase in passing yards and passing TDs, but also in interceptions, quite possibly a significant one. I would not be surprised to see last year's total doubled, or even more.

I am not sure I agree that a tougher schedule necessarily equates to more passing, but I do suspect a bit more playing time for Favre (barring injury, of course), and somewhat improved protection as well, which should help.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast