Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Why AD could be leaving

This paragraph got me thinking.

Does Peterson want a new deal?

The Vikings have been extremely proactive since Zygi Wilf took over as owner in 2005 in doing extensions but that has not been the case this spring. Linebackers Chad Greenway and Ben Leber, wide receiver Sidney Rice and defensive end Ray Edwards all potentially could be unrestricted free agents after 2010 but there have been no known talks between those players and the team.

Would signing a lot of high priced players help or hurt Wilf's ability to sell the team?

IMO, potential buyers would be scared off if the Vikes have a large payroll, because they signed players to long term deals. Even if the players are honestly getting their market value.

Thus, it would be in Wilf's best interest not to give players new contracts or extensions, especially if it requires a lot of $$$ up front.

So unless a stadium deal is done soon, I expect alot of good Vikes will be leaving, including AD, and the Vikes to sink as if Red was owner again. Given few buyers would make a move till a CBA is in place the Vikes will be hurting if UFA's bail and other players start to hold out and demand trades, which Wilf would give because a new owner would like draft picks rather than big contracts.Does Peterson want a new deal?
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Why AD could be leaving

gagarr wrote:

The Vikings have been extremely proactive since Zygi Wilf took over as owner in 2005 in doing extensions but that has not been the case this spring. Linebackers Chad Greenway and Ben Leber, wide receiver Sidney Rice and defensive end Ray Edwards all potentially could be unrestricted free agents after 2010 but there have been no known talks between those players and the team.

Would signing a lot of high priced players help or hurt Wilf's ability to sell the team?

IMO, potential buyers would be scared off if the Vikes have a large payroll, because they signed players to long term deals. Even if the players are honestly getting their market value.

Thus, it would be in Wilf's best interest not to give players new contracts or extensions, especially if it requires a lot of $$$ up front.

So unless a stadium deal is done soon, I expect alot of good Vikes will be leaving, including AD, and the Vikes to sink as if Red was owner again. Given few buyers would make a move till a CBA is in place the Vikes will be hurting if UFA's bail and other players start to hold out and demand trades, which Wilf would give because a new owner would like draft picks rather than big contracts.Does Peterson want a new deal?
    With the uncertainty surrounding the NFL after the 2010 season, not a lot of teams are doling out huge paydays. The ones that are draw headlines because they are out of character this season.

All the players listed would require significant boosts in pay to keep. Despite only 1 impressive season, Rice will want elite money. Greenway has 2 impressive seasons under his belt and might be a safer bet. Leber is aging, and is probably looking at one of his last chances to score a sizeable payday. And Edwards - as has been hotly debated - has had a very productive season, but will probably want more than he's worth and will likley be signed away next season (If there is one).

So, the way I see it, the only player worth resigning right now would be Greenway.

Now the theory is that Peterson wants to be added to that mix? With the holes in his game, that's a pretty big leap to make. Especially with the 2011 season up in the air.

As for Zygi selling the team...I wouldn't overlook that option. Moving the Vikes to L.A. won't be the great benefit the NFL is hoping for. Every team to go to L.A. has left for a reason...L.A. is NOT kind to teams that reside there. Further, by moving he alienates the majority of current Viking fans - myself included as I will immediately switch to hate mode if they move.

But part of the value of the team is it's perceived ability to put butts in seats...and that is derived, in large part, by it's perceived ability to win games. And without the players listed above, that ability is called into question.

So, NO, I don't think this is an effort to lower payroll and strip the team for easy sale.

Caine

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Two words: uncapped year.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Traveling_Vike wrote:
    Two more words: Lock Out.

Caine wrote:
    Traveling_Vike wrote:
    Two more words: No Stadium

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

slavinator wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Traveling_Vike wrote:
    Two more words: No Stadium
    Two more words: Shit happens.

TrojanVike28 is offline Starter

Two more words: Red McCombs....

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Two more words: Los Angeles

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

gagarr wrote:

AP is under contract through 2011 and then the Vikes can throw a franchise tag on him, so he is tied up through the 2012 season.

2011 if he makes his bonuses he will make around 13 million if that isn't enough tough shit.

He wants more money! Then quit fumbling the damn ball and costing us games.

Resign greenway and Rice this year to long-term deals.

Leber didn't have that great of a regular season, but was really good in the playoff's. If we resign him great, if not there will be a FA available.

Ray Edwards is going to test the FA market! We will have to bid for him if we want him back. That is why we drafted Everson Griffen this year so he can be Ray's replacemnet next year.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Two more words: Super Bowl
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast