Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Who's Worse: Steckle or Childress

"baumy300" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    I really do hate Chilly, but at least he's won a few games. Steckel didn't win any if my memory serves me correctly.
    Steckel finished 3-13
    Didn't we have a year when we went without getting a win?
    ???
    NO! Our worst record was 2-11-1. 1962 - VanBrocklin was coach. Tarkenton was QB

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Frostbite is offline Coach

You're right....Van Brocklin was worse....but he's dead. Otherwise I'd say throw him in the pit too!

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Too young to remember Steckle, but from everything I've heard, he sounds much worse.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Frostbite is offline Coach

I know this is off topic somewhat but I feel it's appropriate to the discussion to understand how different the times were when the Van Brocklins...Grants....Steckles were coaching. It is so difficult to try to describe to younger fans how different the game was back then....How different the NFL was in general. The Players were not making the millions of dollars they are today. Players PLAYED hurt all the time. They sucked it up and went out there and gave the best they could. So much Heart...so much desire for the LOVE of The Game alone. There was great sportsmanship among players and fans from the entire League. Million dollar endorsements were almost unheard of. I think Joe Namath got fairly close with the Electric Shave adds...but nothing like these guys get today. Even the Turf was different....Still natural grass in most venues then. Sheesh....we played our home games in an outdoor stadium....in the winter....You guys that live in Minnesota probably have a greater appreciation for that point than I do but I'm telling you....watching some of those games on TV as a kid I honestly felt Cold sitting in Sunny CA. There was no West Coast Offense....There was no hiding your face behind clip boards to call plays. No Instant Replay. Play books consisted of about half of what they do today. Conditioning was different. Games were televised in a different manner overall.
    Sitting here thinking about it now evereything was different.

The sad part to me about this is that Chilly is old enough to remember these days. He doesn't seem to have learned anything from them of value, and in my humble opinion there was a lot to learn and bring into the game we call Football today. Especially in the Coaching areas. Guys like Chilly had some of the greatest Coaches ever to learn from and Mimic. So what's his excuse??

Cheers!

Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

The truth is the PLAYERS make a LOT of money. They have agents, lawyers and a union. The union has agents, lawyers etc. So you don't have the control like you want.

That why some many coaches were trying to play coach and gm.

At this level it's all about good strong leadership and respect.

Look at the Lions it was a LOT of young players not putting in the effort. Couple of good strong leaders and coaches and look at them now. Took a year but the turned it around.
    Maybe Millen does know something j/k.

Childress is all bark. Look at TJack mouthing off in the Dallas game. Childress should have yank the kid from the game right then and there.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Steckel's team quit on him, and mutiny'd. Childress has this team starting to play better, and every week they play hard. That says alot about a coach. The team believes in the philosify that our coaches preach.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Frostbite" wrote:
    You're right....Van Brocklin was worse....but he's dead. Otherwise I'd say throw him in the pit too!

Cheers!
    I didn't say Van Brocklin was a worse coach. I just posted his 2-11-1 record. Van Brocklin had 14 game seasons, while Steckel had a 16 game seasons.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Steckel lost the team while the team supports Childress.
    Big difference.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Steckel's team quit on him, and mutiny'd. Childress has this team starting to play better, and every week they play hard. That says alot about a coach. The team believes in the philosify that our coaches preach.
    Wow.
    Didn't expect to find a voice of reason in this thread.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Steckle had a worse record the first year coaching than Childress so he would have to be considered more of a failure.
    Childress may end up being the next Lombardi
    or june jones for all we know.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast