Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: A Whole New Rush - Jared Allen SI Article

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks my friend for the article.

During Minnesota 's two-month negotiation with Allen and the Chiefs
    Hmmmm, 2 months.
    Anyone else wanna try and convince me this guy wasn't on the radar long enough to explain why they (the front office) really didn't try very hard to bring in the other DE FA's..... :

Allen 's deal includes some $31 million in guaranteed money and—most tellingly—no language beyond the norm regarding his behavior and team discipline, according to two league sources familiar with the pact.
    Hmm, I find that a bit strange.
    Regardless of how comfortable I felt, I still would have put the verbiage in.
    You shouldn't find it strange - that's what has been written by your "local media hacks" for 2 months now.
    No language was put into the contract to recoup any of that if he falters off-the-field.

=Z=
    I never believe the local hacks.
    I only trust reputable news sources like SI.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Nice Read!!
    I just got the latest SI temptation in the mail...$39 for a year's subscription and it comes with an NFL Performer Jacket for free.
    I was thinking the Jacket might be worth that much...?
    Anybody jumped on that one yet?

Yeah Marr, that's what I was thinking too.
    And while we weren't bringing in any of those lesser DEs, we were helping their agents get better deals by being their bargaining chip/next visit.
    Hopefully, it will help us out down the road!

During his police-chauffeured ride home from the station that night, it finally dawned on Allen that he was a screwup. In a panic he called his agent, Ken Harris, from the squad car, seeking assurances that the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation wouldn't drop him as its spokesman. (It didn't.) He called Ron and his mother, Sarah, to beg forgiveness. Then he phoned the parents of a close friend from high school, Chad Parker, who had died in a drunken driving accident in 2000.
    That right there sounds like a light came on for him.
    Looks like he's got a pretty big list of why not to DWI again.
    I hope he's got Hall Of Famer on that list too!
    The ending quotes are awesome!!
    The Purple Faithful have another reason to believe!!!

Allen 's infectious play and personality at minicamp, Childress says, "have given us a lot of hop in the locker room." The newcomer is confident that Minnesota can win the NFC North—"I don't see how we lose it," Allen says—and be a perennial force.

"I think we're contenders for the next few years," he says during dinner at the steak house, noting other recent upgrades to the roster that include receiver Bernard Berrian and safety Madieu Williams . "We've got a solid O-line, a helluva running back [ Adrian Peterson ], a great defense. All [quarterback Tarvaris Jackson] has to do is manage it, and we'll be cool."
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Nice article but The media IMHO has gone a little bit into the overkill mode with the Sobriety issue on Allen. He knows it, We know it, I am just worried with all of the pressure from it being put on him is it pushing him towards the negative and not the positive.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

Hmmmm, 2 months.
    Anyone else wanna try and convince me this guy wasn't on the radar long enough to explain why they (the front office) really didn't try very hard to bring in the other DE FA's..... :

Allen 's deal includes some $31 million in guaranteed money and—most tellingly—no language beyond the norm regarding his behavior and team discipline, according to two league sources familiar with the pact.
    We tried very hard to sign players like Justin Smith and Odom, even Kearse.
    Unfortunately they all signed with the first teams they visited instead of giving us a chance.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Hmmmm, 2 months.

Unfortunately they all signed with the first teams they visited instead of giving us a chance.
    I think alot of us fans (I really wanted Odom for the LDE pos) were helping them get them in, but how many were actually brought in?

This staff has shown that if they want a guy, he comes here first and he never leaves (except Curtis).
    My guess is we had JA targeted the whole time (at least 2 months) and those guys were just smoke screens.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Hmmmm, 2 months.

I think alot of us fans (I really wanted Odom for the LDE pos) were helping them get them in, but how many were actually brought in?

This staff has shown that if they want a guy, he comes here first and he never leaves (except Curtis).
    My guess is we had JA targeted the whole time (at least 2 months) and those guys were just smoke screens.
    They never came here because they never had a chance.
    They signed with the first team they visited, and didn't bother visiting other teams because they already got the deal they wanted.

Just like how Berrian never visited other teams, he got the deal he wanted here, and signed.

But don't kid yourself in thinking that the Vikings FO is almighty and can convince any player to stay, some players they bring in decide they'd rather go elsewhere (like curtis)

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Hmmmm, 2 months.

They never came here because they never had a chance.
    They signed with the first team they visited, and didn't bother visiting other teams because they already got the deal they wanted.

Just like how Berrian never visited other teams, he got the deal he wanted here, and signed.

But don't kid yourself in thinking that the Vikings FO is almighty and can convince any player to stay, some players they bring in decide they'd rather go elsewhere (like curtis)
    yah, it seems as if when they already know what team will give them the best offer, they go there confirm it on day 1
    or 2 of free agency and its a done dea

Thank you Josdin for the sig

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

The previous DE's could have been smoke screens like someone else mentioned, Smith being the the most intriging. IMO we did just what I would have liked, having Smith istead of Allen would not be cool. Smith is a good player but he's not the same dimension and we know it. Same goes for Kerse and Odom. In the end I believe we wanted Allen the whole time, he would have been my #1 target coming out but he was franchised. I believe Minn played things off as long as they could then really started getting into the nitty gritties of an actual deal very close the draft. As soon as the press uncovered our intrist all the sudden 5 other teams had intrist but we where the one team that dished out the picks and money. This shows me commitment to building a championship team, nobody else did what we did with Allen or Hutchison. We make things happen.

This kind of story brings back ugly memories of how I felt Koren Robison had turned things around, he seemed headed in a very positive direction and ready to make an impact for our team and I believed it. The one thing about Allen though is his development as a player and person, he's improving everthing while quitting his alchohal, he came off a suspension and had the best season of his carear and he doesn't shy away from the hype that is caused from the past. He admits it and deals with it. I think its unlikely he reverts back to the old wild hilbily but anything can happen. He's already shown commitment to being apart of the community and charity events something I never heard from Koren. The situations are different and I think each individual is taking a seperate path.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"Garland" wrote:
    Nice article but The media IMHO has gone a little bit into the overkill mode with the Sobriety issue on Allen. He knows it, We know it, I am just worried with all of the pressure from it being put on him is it pushing him towards the negative and not the positive.
    Allen put him self under the pressure by his past actions.
    One more screw-up and he's gone for a year.

IMO, the media should keep it up.
    I hope everyone in MN knows Allen on sight and if he ever touches a drink they call his butt a cab, take away his keys (that might be a bit hard
    ;D ), and make sure he gets home safe and sound without incident.

He should only be treated like an adult if he's acting like one.
    DUI is NOT an adult action.

I think he's going to be GREAT for the Vikes, but only if he is on the field and not suspended.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"gagarr" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    Allen put him self under the pressure by his past actions.
    One more screw-up and he's gone for a year.

IMO, the media should keep it up.
    I hope everyone in MN knows Allen on sight and if he ever touches a drink they call his butt a cab, take away his keys (that might be a bit hard
    ;D ), and make sure he gets home safe and sound without incident.

He should only be treated like an adult if he's acting like one.
    DUI is NOT an adult action.

I think he's going to be GREAT for the Vikes, but only if he is on the field and not suspended.
    A close source at another resturant where he eats, told me he has a driver, and didn't drink despite the waiter asking him if he wanted wine or other beverage. My source informs me the waiters now know who he is and no longer ask him if he wants any alcoholic beverage.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast