Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

A Whole New Rush - Jared Allen SI Article

Opened up my SI just now (oh, no, what will Marrdro think?) which arrived a day early yesterday and found a very nice article on Jared Allen (with a side-bar on Kenechi) and his work towards sobriety and furthering his career.

No link on SI.COM yet, but I'll keep looking and hopefully it will be posted today.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: A Whole New Rush

;D ;D ;D

I actually miss the ole rag my friend.
    Problem is, when I take a stance its even hard for me to convince me I am wrong.....

One day I might renew my subscription.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

what is the date of the issue? i have a stack of them i need to read and i will be sure to read this one
    We're bringing purple back.

"gregair13" wrote:
    what is the date of the issue? i have a stack of them i need to read and i will be sure to read this one
    I think it is in the most recent issue.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"gregair13" wrote:
    The brand-spanking new issue - Dated June 30, 2008 - with Bill Russell and Kevin Garnett on the cover.

=Z=

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    The brand-spanking new issue - Dated June 30, 2008 - with Bill Russell and Kevin Garnett on the cover.

=Z=
    my newest one has tiger on it. canada gets the magazine later than america
    We're bringing purple back.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Zeus" wrote:
    Opened up my SI just now (oh, no, what will Marrdro think?) which arrived a day early yesterday and found a very nice article on Jared Allen (with a side-bar on Kenechi) and his work towards sobriety and furthering his career.

No link on SI.COM yet, but I'll keep looking and hopefully it will be posted today.

=Z=
    The same article that's mentioned here?

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44137.2700

What does it say?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: A Whole New Rush - Jared Allen in SI article link posted

Here's the article:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1141112/index.htm

[size=12pt]A Whole New Rush[/size]
    In yet another NFL off-season for the police blotter, Vikings defensive end Jared Allen offers a ray of hope: A onetime wild man whose excesses threatened to derail his career, he's attacking his second chance with a fresh—read sober—outlook
    ANDREW LAWRENCE

June 30, 2008

JARED ALLEN arrives at a tony steak house in downtown Minneapolis with his girlfriend, Jordan Parrish, and the dinner turns into a two-hour exercise in self-restraint. Bottles of vintage Cabernet and Merlot line the walls, tempting Allen to toast the end of his NFL-imposed alcohol ban—issued after his DUI arrest in September 2006—with a glass of red; instead he orders a frothy pint of Clausthaler, a nonalcoholic German beer. A nearby display cart teeming with thick cuts of raw red meat whets his appetite for a Flintstone-sized steak; the 6'6", 270-pound Pro Bowl defensive end instead goes for the grilled sea bass and a heaping side of steamed broccoli. A comely woman in a form-fitting, flesh-baring dress weaves a circuitous path to the restroom, making sure Allen gets an eyeful; he's too busy doting on Jordan (whose chair he reflexively pulls closer to him as the woman swings by) to care.

Even when he's deep in conversation about his new team (the Vikings , who acquired him in an April trade with the Chiefs ), his blockbuster contract (a six-year, $73.3 million deal that makes him the highest-paid defensive player in football) and his lofty expectations of winning a Super Bowl this year (was that really a Clausthaler?), Allen speaks in a hushed voice. "Let 'em focus on me," he says, warning teams that hope to stop him from improving on his league-leading 15 1/2 sacks in 2007. "I've been double- and triple-teamed my whole life. I welcome the challenge."

It may sound like bragging, but when Allen talks, it's in a tone tempered by sobriety. After frittering away his early adulthood chasing good times as doggedly as he did quarterbacks, Allen now gets a rush from defying his temptations instead of giving in to them. And he has come to rely on quiet nights like this one to keep him from reverting to the habits that got him into a world of trouble. "That road didn't lead me anywhere," he says. "I worked hard to regain my image." Indeed, after another off-season marked by embarrassing headlines, the NFL at least appears to have in the 26-year-old Allen an Exhibit A for what can happen when a player decides to clean up his act.
    =Z=

Re: A Whole New Rush - Jared Allen SI Article

Thanks my friend for the article.

During Minnesota 's two-month negotiation with Allen and the Chiefs
    Hmmmm, 2 months.
    Anyone else wanna try and convince me this guy wasn't on the radar long enough to explain why they (the front office) really didn't try very hard to bring in the other DE FA's..... :

Allen 's deal includes some $31 million in guaranteed money and—most tellingly—no language beyond the norm regarding his behavior and team discipline, according to two league sources familiar with the pact.
    Hmm, I find that a bit strange.
    Regardless of how comfortable I felt, I still would have put the verbiage in.

Re: A Whole New Rush - Jared Allen SI Article

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks my friend for the article.

During Minnesota 's two-month negotiation with Allen and the Chiefs
    Hmmmm, 2 months.
    Anyone else wanna try and convince me this guy wasn't on the radar long enough to explain why they (the front office) really didn't try very hard to bring in the other DE FA's..... :

Allen 's deal includes some $31 million in guaranteed money and—most tellingly—no language beyond the norm regarding his behavior and team discipline, according to two league sources familiar with the pact.
    Hmm, I find that a bit strange.
    Regardless of how comfortable I felt, I still would have put the verbiage in.
    You shouldn't find it strange - that's what has been written by your "local media hacks" for 2 months now.
    No language was put into the contract to recoup any of that if he falters off-the-field.

=Z=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast