Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: "Who are you...and what did you do with Brad Johnson?"

No doubt.

Games like that come down to very specific series and plays. Neither Defense was giving up much so when you get a fumble on the three you better put up 6.

The Steelers only TD came off a 72 yard punt return that gave Big Ben a microscopic field. But he capitalized.

Very frustrating but it is part of the game and hopefully the team can get it together and make some noise.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

And this sort of falls in line with what I'm talking about. Did anyone watching that game believe that the Steelers were killing us? I didn't. Series after series we were matching them. Heck, our Defense was KILLING them. We were in that game...all the way until the last half of the 4th (When we gave up the Safety).

I'm not BLAMING Johnson...not at all. I agree that the Shovel pass to K. Robinson wasn't really his fault (Although it was a bit unorthodox...considering I can't recall EVER seeing a shovel pass from us before...I think it caught Koren off guard). And, we stuffed them on that drive.

The second pick might have been due to the hit...but he also had two near-misses - one early and one late that was overturned by a penalty. Quite simply, Johnson wasn't hitting his stride. Was that due to pressure? I don't see how. He's been facing that kind of heat all season.

But in the second half, it really felt like he was pressing. Perhaps that was because we virtually abandoned the run. We had 16 total rushing attempts...including Faison's 3 for ZERO yards. But Bennett was averaging almost 4 ypc. Why did we stop running? Moore had a whopping TWO carries. No running game means the Defense can focus on our passing game.

face it, this game was Offensively called poorly.

On Defense - again - they really played their kiesters off. ASide from 1 big run, we stopped Parker cold, and Bettis was being smoked play after play. We didn't allow much at all in the air.

So, I'm not going to point a finger and say, "THAT guy blew it"...this one isn't so obvious. Instead, I'll say that I am disappointed with our Offensive production this week. Everyone from the line, to Johnson, to Loney didn't get it done. Stupid penalties that killed drives were my bigest peeve.

We could have won this one. We SHOULD have won this one. We simply didn't.

Caine

Del Rio Guest

I think the coaches really let us down.

We were moving the ball fairly well, and like you said the run was working ok. We got one dimensional real fast. The Steelers are better coached, and I bet they were salivating when we stopped running.

It was a tough game to watch.

IL-Vike is offline Training Camp

"Del Rio" wrote:
    We definately had our chances. Their team played better football and won. The talent level was nothing we hadn't seen though. It makes it frustrating, but I still think we will finish strong.
    I agree about finishing strong. Just think who the Bears have to play; Green Bay and the Vikings. The Bears should start looking beyond the Division just yet.

purpleFavreEaters is offline Coordinator

How about maybe just maybe its because Johnson is washed up an a half ass QB. How about instead of making excuses for our offense we state the obvious andthat is we got our butts beat but a much superior team on defense. Please stop with the excuses and realize under Mike Tice as head Coach this team is not going anywere, they may make the playoffs I will say that but lets be honest does anyone realisticly see them going past th 1st round?????? I am a huge Vikings fan so dont take this the wrong way but this this team has wayyyyyy to many issue going on and the fact the won the previous 6 in a row really made alot of peolple forget about everything off the field. Lets hope this loss an the offseason brings tons of changes for the Vikings.

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

Johnson is a great QB, obviously he's not where he used to be, but there's not very many backups i can think of in this league that i'd like to have behind pep.
    ;-)

napo58 is offline Pro-Bowler

it is funny how everyone is defending johnson, but everyone is on culpepper faster than flies on shit when he makes a mistake.

Del Rio Guest

Actually I'd say there is more excuses made for Culpepper then people defending Brad.

Which is it? Comon now. So let me guess Culpepper did really bad because his line was horrible the coaches yada yada....and now Brad is just washed up?

This place cracks me up sometimes.

Brad Johnson is washed up? Yeah ok, stop posting please for the love of god.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Actually I'd say there is more excuses made for Culpepper then people defending Brad.

Which is it? Comon now. So let me guess Culpepper did really bad because his line was horrible the coaches yada yada....and now Brad is just washed up?

This place cracks me up sometimes.

Brad Johnson is washed up? Yeah ok, stop posting please for the love of god.
    Brad went from saint to satan in 3 1/2 hours.

Yes, 'tis very funny.

A lot better than some of the scrubs we had in the past.

napo58 is offline Pro-Bowler

no, brad can't win us games. That was our defense and special teams for our 6 game winning streak. Brad is a slower, its hard to beleive version of bledsoe without a cannon arm and accuracy. I can't see us doing anything with him in the offense, look at us in the past 6 games. Even the 31st ranked defense St. Louis shut our attack down. IT's not all Brad's fault, but Im sick of all the talk about how he was our savior. no oline= no offense.

If we played Brad in the beginning of the season with the vertical offense and our defense, i couldn't see him doing much better than Daunte, more likely worse.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast