Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Who are you...and what did you do with Brad Johnson?"

That's what I want to know. I'm not sure who that QB was today. He looked like Johnson. He wore Johnson's uniform. But he sure didn't play like him.

Turnovers in the red zone. Botched special teams. Missed chip-shot field goals...well, that's not so out of the ordinary.

Today was rife with all of the things that plagued us through the first 7 games. Johnson looked panicked, his throws were off target...almost reminded me of Favre with the way he kept trying to force things.

The O-line really killed us today. Between the penalties and the blown blocking, a lot of the blame shifts away from Johnson. These guys looked like scrubs for most of the game.

But, I suppose that this will teach us to become overly optimistic about our chances based upon beating up on a few lousey teams. The Vikings need some serious work on Offense (There's something we haven't seen in quite a few years).

My hat's off to the Defense. They played a solid game, and got dealt a few bad breaks by turnovers.

My only real gripe is that Robinson touchdown that was ruled an incompletion. He had possession, both feet hit, that should have been 6. Who knows, that might have changed the course of the game. All in all, however, that was a well called game. Ed Hochuli and his crew are about as good an officiating crew as there is in football today.

That makes our next two, "Must Win" games..and we'll need some help to slid in to the Play-Offs.

Caine

SamDawg84 Guest

Re: "Who are you...and what did you do with Brad Johnson?"

the first pick was on koren kind of. and the second pick his arm got hit. anyway he played a good game besides those

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I think we can place it on the fact that we didn't run the ball enough. Granted, we weren't running it all that great, but we should have at least stuck with it a bit. I'm also not thrilled about Bennett being the one getting most of the carries again. The whole thing about this win streak is that Johnson has had to manage the game, and today they tried to make him win it, and I really don't think that's our identity.

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

I think with the way Minnesota turned things around they had a reason to be feeling good regardless who they've beat (I suppose losing to teams like the Lions and Browns would be better?). At the same time, you can't really underestimate anyone, specially a team of a higher caliber like the Vikings played today. Most of us knew they weren't just gonna walk all over them, but might have played well enough to win, but.. didn't happen.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Good point caine on the Robison TD, i think we got zero points out of that, sad.

How do you go up to the highest point, catch the ball bring it all the way to your stomach, both feet down and not call it a TD. Robinson is not much of an emotional guy unless he believes it, i'm positive he had the catch and it was a TD, the refs stripped it from us and it changed the whole complextion of the game. Instead of walking out with 6 points we either got our single field goal or zero points.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"DemonicViking" wrote:
    I think with the way Minnesota turned things around they had a reason to be feeling good regardless who they've beat (I suppose losing to teams like the Lions and Browns would be better?). At the same time, you can't really underestimate anyone, specially a team of a higher caliber like the Vikings played today. Most of us knew they weren't just gonna walk all over them, but might have played well enough to win, but.. didn't happen.
    At which point in time did you believe that I was implying that we should have lost to Cleveland or Detroit?

Refusing to admit to something that is factual does not make it any less true. Of the teams we beat, which one is considered a "Good" team? Only New York (10-4). And how did we beat New York? On Special Teams and Defense. Other than that, we have managed to beat New Orleans, Green Bay (twice), Detroit (twice), Cleveland, and St. Louis. All are teams at 5-9 or worse.

What does that tell me? That we have yet to really beat a quality opponent. Baltimore is at 4-9...until tomorrow anyway. This is a team we SHOULD beat.

I'm not saying that the Vikings shouldn't be proud of winning 8 games thus far...I'm saying that there was no reason for us NOT to win those 8 games.

This season has highlighted a lot of areas that we need to improve in...while not dropping off in areas we're strong in. I have every faith and confidence that the Vikes will address those areas in the upcomming offseason. But, that is then, this is now.

And, right now, we have Baltimore comming up, and we need a win.

Caine

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

That shuffle pass pick was NOT Brad's fault...the receiver should have caught that! Brad didn't let Heath Miller break off a huge RAC that set up a Pittsburgh score. Brad did what he could...he just didn't get enough help!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet Guest

The first possession of the Steelers was disturbing with the bad judgement on the unsportsmanlike conduct call that would have been three and out and turned into a first down and a field goal. It's tough to make the call regarding the turning point of the game....but a 3 and out would have been a much better start and the momentum would have been on the Vikings side instead of the Steelers side.

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

Caine,

I was just stating the obvious as far as their success goes as of late , but I knew what you meant, maybe the Vikings were a little over confident going into this game since they've been on a hot streak. If that was the case I don't see how they could overlook the Steelers since they are at a higher level than most of the opponents we've defeated. Going into today's game it couldn't be looked at as impossible, but in the back of my mind I'm not surprised we ended up on the losing end. I think we'll do ok against the Ravens, but the Chicago game looks to be the tougher contest, but who knows, it's been a crazy season.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

"Caine" wrote:
    "DemonicViking" wrote:
    At which point in time did you believe that I was implying that we should have lost to Cleveland or Detroit?

Refusing to admit to something that is factual does not make it any less true. Of the teams we beat, which one is considered a "Good" team? Only New York (10-4). And how did we beat New York? On Special Teams and Defense. Other than that, we have managed to beat New Orleans, Green Bay (twice), Detroit (twice), Cleveland, and St. Louis. All are teams at 5-9 or worse.

What does that tell me? That we have yet to really beat a quality opponent. Baltimore is at 4-9...until tomorrow anyway. This is a team we SHOULD beat.

I'm not saying that the Vikings shouldn't be proud of winning 8 games thus far...I'm saying that there was no reason for us NOT to win those 8 games.

This season has highlighted a lot of areas that we need to improve in...while not dropping off in areas we're strong in. I have every faith and confidence that the Vikes will address those areas in the upcomming offseason. But, that is then, this is now.

And, right now, we have Baltimore comming up, and we need a win.

Caine
    Yeah what you're saying makes sense. I think before the season started, most of us would have had the Vikings winning these eight games anyway, not to mention a couple others. I think what surprised everybody is that they managed to do it having gone through all the boat crap and the loss of Daunte.

We should win and need to win this next game because we are a better team. But what concerns me is that the Vikings only road wins so far this year have come against Detroit and Green Bay. And I don't think Baltimore will be easy on the road at all.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast