Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Who was the worse Vikings coach in franchise history?

Who was the worse Vikings coach in franchise history? I'm not talking strictly about the W/L, unless that's how you judge the coaching success.

I am going with Mike Tice. Yes, many will hate my decision...oh well. I am going with Tice because he did the least with the most talent. Sure, I think Redneck put him in as an interim and should have hired an experienced coach in 2002, but he didn't. I am not satisfied with 0.500 ball with the talent the Vikings have had on their team the last few years and place much of the blame on the HC. Sure, he had a questionable supporting cast and Redneck was/is a tight wad. Truthfully, I had a tough time choosing between Les Steckel and Mike Tice...but, since Tice put the team in the tank for a bunch of years and Steckel was a one-year wonder I give Tice my vote.

Re: Who was the worse Vikings coach in franchise history?

I'll be the first to agree. We all love the guy when he wins and call him an idiot when he loses. Sure, it could be worse than .500, but to start 6-0 and 5-1 and crumble, and then the year we were Super Bowl bound couldn't manage to get things together till they were 2-5, and his terrible road record add up to a bad tenure.
    I yelled at my TV more this year than ever for him to get decent drives going, stop running, run shotgun, stop dumping off screens, talk to your defense, etc.
    Close number 2 is Denny Green. What a choke artist hack.

Del Rio Guest

I think ol Les gets the #1 vote. Tice is definately a close #2 in my eyes. Then again I think Denny Green only trails Bud in the best Vikings coaches poll.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

many here are to young to remember Les,

But let me tell you, he was hands down, the worst coach this team ever had........

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Les was the worst coach the Vikes have ever had! He lost the team before they left training camp, and was doomed from the start! The players wouldn't play for him, and they had to bring Bud Grant back the next year to save the team from collapsing.

The second worse coach was Jerry Burns! The players were running the team because of lack of any discipline, and the team had completely broken down. They had to bring Denny Green in as the new sheriff in-town to right the organization.

As bad a job as Tice did, he leaves a team that has talent and is close to being a contender. That is more than Steckle or Burns did and Tice was given a bad situation with no support from Red!

I see Tice getting a chance to be a head coach again a few years down the road, I think he will do better job the second time around. I just hope that we win a championship before he does!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

purpleFavreEaters is offline Coordinator

Mike "Meathead" Tice

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Les was the worst by far, Norm gets my vote for 2nd for getting drunk on a team flight back to Minn and getting into a fight with the Vikes 5'4", one legged equipment manager.

As Viking fans we are lucky some teams can go through this many coaches in a 10-15 year period

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

looking back at what tice did, i dont think he would be the worst. he did get us to the playoffs and have a winning record.
    We're bringing purple back.

I voted for 'ol Les, What a tool he was lol In reality I think Denny,Les and Burns are all brothers from different mothers lmao. Tice wasn't the worst to me but given another year of ho hum football and I think he may have been adopted into hall of shame worst coaches we have had.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

I am going to have to agree with Ned. I dont think this is going to give a very accurate idea of who was the worst. I think there needs to be a poll to go along with this that asks if you even know who half these coachs are!? I, for one, am 26 and I can only speak to the coaches of Green, Burns, Tice and I know that many of the members here are younger than me so it is not even fair to ask how kind of coach they were compared to the more recent ones

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast