Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Looks like we are taking a serious look at Bridgewater .....
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/vikings...7757--nfl.html

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    I don't believe ANYTHING reporters "discover" when it comes to what any of the 32 teams are going to do in the draft. It is a disaster to have those types of trades being discussed only to find out that everyone knows that is what you plan to do.

I DO think they are not above floating ideas to see the league's reaction, however. I still expect them to either draft a player they are willing to give the #8 to, or trade back if all those players they feel are worth #8 are gone.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I don't believe ANYTHING reporters "discover" when it comes to what any of the 32 teams are going to do in the draft. It is a disaster to have those types of trades being discussed only to find out that everyone knows that is what you plan to do.

I DO think they are not above floating ideas to see the league's reaction, however. I still expect them to either draft a player they are willing to give the #8 to, or trade back if all those players they feel are worth #8 are gone.
    The report says he came in on Saturday and stayed until Monday. No reason to believe this is not the case. The title is actually not misleading for a change.

What you want to make of that information is up to each individual.

My take is that the Vikings do have interest and are making sure they do adequate homework on the guy so they hopefully make the right choice in terms of if/when to draft him. I would hope that all top candidates are given similar treatment if the talent evaluators feels it is needed to complete their grading.

Another way to look at it is the Vikings staff isn't in agreement in where Bridgewater should project and want to spend more time with him to help get more clarity. Other top athletes they may feel more confident in the current data compiled and don't feel they warrant further looks.

Does it lend our hand to another team? Maybe, but probably not much. Picking at #8, there are a ton of scenarios that can play out and how much time we spend with an individual athlete doing evaluations is just another piece of data to digest.

I don't think they would spend this much time with him if there was no interest.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Read today that the insiders are hearing that many of the teams in the top 10 of the draft that need a QB may pass on a QB. They didn't specifically mention the Vikings, but they did mention the Texans, Jaguars, Browns, and Tampa as all being teams that need a QB but may pass on one. If Manziel is there at #8, I think the Vikings will have a hard time passing on him. I would rather have a LB like Barr or Mack at #8 and draft a QB in rd 2

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    The report says he came in on Saturday and stayed until Monday. No reason to believe this is not the case. The title is actually not misleading for a change.

What you want to make of that information is up to each individual.

My take is that the Vikings do have interest and are making sure they do adequate homework on the guy so they hopefully make the right choice in terms of if/when to draft him. I would hope that all top candidates are given similar treatment if the talent evaluators feels it is needed to complete their grading.

Another way to look at it is the Vikings staff isn't in agreement in where Bridgewater should project and want to spend more time with him to help get more clarity. Other top athletes they may feel more confident in the current data compiled and don't feel they warrant further looks.

Does it lend our hand to another team? Maybe, but probably not much. Picking at #8, there are a ton of scenarios that can play out and how much time we spend with an individual athlete doing evaluations is just another piece of data to digest.

I don't think they would spend this much time with him if there was no interest.
    I should have been specific, I was referring to the trade talk on the previous page.

Sorry.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    Of course we all know to take pre-draft chatter with a grain of salt. If Bridgewater's private workouts really were shaky, what would be the benefit of getting that word out? Odds are, people want him to slide for some reason. I'm not saying the guy is Andrew Luck, but it is amazing just how much his stock has dropped since his last game, in which he looked every bit of the #1 QB in this draft. I am still hoping we get him at #8.
    I'm not interested in how he looked in his last game only, I'm interested in how he looked in his entire body of work.

He didn't even look good in his "scripted" workout.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Johnny Manziel Not Target, Mike Zimmer Seeks Draft Trade Down After Norv Turner Favors Zach Mettenberger, AJ McCarron at Quarterback

Minnesota Vikings Rumors: Johnny Manziel Not Target, Mike Zimmer Seeks Draft Trade Down After Norv Turner Favors Zach Mettenberger, AJ McCarron at Quarterback : US : Sports World Report

Are The Minnesota Vikings About To Gamble On Blake Bortles?

Are The Minnesota Vikings About To Gamble On Blake Bortles? - iSports Times

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'm not interested in how he looked in his last game only, I'm interested in how he looked in his entire body of work.

He didn't even look good in his "scripted" workout.
    I'm not saying I'm ONLY interested in his last game. I just give it a lot more weight than anything that's happened since then because he hasn't played in a game since then. And his entire body of work is great. I suppose where we disagree is the relevance of the scripted workout. Some say he can't handle pressure because of it. I say it's a different kind of pressure. It's not irrelevant, but making throws in a quiet environment is different than having four or five huge people coming at you and you have to keep your eyes off of them and down the field to find a receiver. He's done pretty darn well with that kind of pressure up to this point. In the workout he has a handful of people who he knows are nitpicking about mechanics and footwork and ball flight. In a game he has to read a defense (big strength) and locate the best receiver while stuff is quickly breaking down.

NFLAM talked a lot about how teams deal with the draft and showing their hands before the draft in depth yesterday, and some of the things they said surprised me. Did you know LT (the RB, not the HoF Giant) was never worked out, or even TALKED to by the Chargers before they drafted him? They had example after example of teams showing interest in a player ONLY to make other teams misunderstand who they would eventually draft.

The one thing I took from the show is, until the last week before the draft, ignore the mocks and news reports, because they are FULL of subterfuge. As such, I believe we will trade up as much as I believe we will trade down or even draft Manziel.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast