Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Bridgewater struggling in private workouts

Bridgewater struggling in private workouts | ProFootballTalk

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post

[/B] A year ago, most of the attention on the quarterback prospects was focused on Geno Smith and Matt Barkley. Many pundits were surprised when E.J. Manuel was selected first. Once again, teams in the top 10 aren't following the consensus signal-caller rankings. At least three feel that Carr is the second-best quarterback prospect in the draft.
    And for all the pimping they received, Smith dropped into the 2nd round and Barkley dropped into the 4th (and looked horrid when he was forced in to play).
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Of course we all know to take pre-draft chatter with a grain of salt. If Bridgewater's private workouts really were shaky, what would be the benefit of getting that word out? Odds are, people want him to slide for some reason. I'm not saying the guy is Andrew Luck, but it is amazing just how much his stock has dropped since his last game, in which he looked every bit of the #1 QB in this draft. I am still hoping we get him at #8.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    Of course we all know to take pre-draft chatter with a grain of salt. If Bridgewater's private workouts really were shaky, what would be the benefit of getting that word out? Odds are, people want him to slide for some reason. I'm not saying the guy is Andrew Luck, but it is amazing just how much his stock has dropped since his last game, in which he looked every bit of the #1 QB in this draft. I am still hoping we get him at #8.
    If we take him, I hope you are right, and there are as many reasons to believe you are as there are ones stating the exact opposite.

The real problem is college QB excellence does not translate to NFL excellence; otherwise, we would have a wealth of GREAT NFL QBs! There is a big jump mainly because in every college team, the defense has a "hole", aka one or 2 players that just aren't as good as the rest of the team. A decent QB can identify and hit those holes, looking awesome in the process.

In the NFL, the worst players on opposing defenses are some of the "elite" talent they avoided in college!! It is only then that we know whether a guy's college talent translates to NFL talent, and of course, that is after we have drafted him.

I saw some tape on Norv Turner when he worked with Aikman at Dallas, and the one thing I now think Turner is looking for in the draft in a QB above all else is accuracy. That was the one intangible Aikman had in excessive amounts, and Turner used it to create a balanced attack (with Emmitt Smith) to win 3 Super Bowls.

NOW!! Who is the most accurate QB in this year's draft?
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    If we take him, I hope you are right, and there are as many reasons to believe you are as there are ones stating the exact opposite.

The real problem is college QB excellence does not translate to NFL excellence; otherwise, we would have a wealth of GREAT NFL QBs! There is a big jump mainly because in every college team, the defense has a "hole", aka one or 2 players that just aren't as good as the rest of the team. A decent QB can identify and hit those holes, looking awesome in the process.

In the NFL, the worst players on opposing defenses are some of the "elite" talent they avoided in college!! It is only then that we know whether a guy's college talent translates to NFL talent, and of course, that is after we have drafted him.

I saw some tape on Norv Turner when he worked with Aikman at Dallas, and the one thing I now think Turner is looking for in the draft in a QB above all else is accuracy. That was the one intangible Aikman had in excessive amounts, and Turner used it to create a balanced attack (with Emmitt Smith) to win 3 Super Bowls.

NOW!! Who is the most accurate QB in this year's draft?
    I agree with you and Turner to a certain extent, intelligence trumps everything for me. You have to have some talent in the other fields, obviously but if someone is accurate and intelligent like Joe Montana I will take him, I would almost say they should go hand in hand.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I agree with you and Turner to a certain extent, intelligence trumps everything for me. You have to have some talent in the other fields, obviously but if someone is accurate and intelligent like Joe Montana I will take him, I would almost say they should go hand in hand.
    Not so much intelligence as mental makeup. Strong minds that are uber competitive, drive themselves to constantly improve and elevate their game when it matters the most. Smarts not so much a factor IMO.

A lot of good arms fail in the NFL because they can't adjust to the speed and the pressure of the game.

Same can be said for reverse as well. That is, guys with great mental makeup fail in the NFL because their arm isn't capable of making the throws.

You need a certain level of both mental and physical, but one can help overcome deficiencies in the other.

The physical is fairly easy to evaluate, the mental not so much.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Trade Mock

Wow! Really!?? Ouch on the picks...I'd almost rather give up just next year's first to move up and keep this years picks in a deep draft for our other needs! They better really love them some Bortles!!

*** Trade 1: Minnesota trades a 2014 second-round pick, 2014 third-round pick and 2015 second-round pick for the No. 2 overall selection. ***

The Vikings want Blake Bortles, but they're out of position to draft him. They'll have to trade up; possibly to No. 2 to leap the Jaguars and Browns if the Texans end up taking Jadeveon Clowney. There's no chance Bortles makes it to No. 8, so Minnesota will probably have to settle for a linebacker (Anthony Barr) and then Zach Mettenberger in Round 2, as Tony Pauline reported.
    WalterFootball.com: NFL Draft Rumor Mill

One team that is a prime contender to move up with St. Louis is the Minnesota Vikings. Sources have told us that the Vikings are a real contender to move up for Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles.

That trade was documented in two recent mock drafts on WalterFootball.com in Walt's trade mock and my mock . His good work ethic meshes well with the new coaching staff, and sources say that Bortles is the Vikings' top-rated quarterback with Derek Carr as their No. 2 quarterback.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Trade Mock

Wow! Really!?? Ouch on the picks...I'd almost rather give up just next year's first to move up and keep this years picks in a deep draft for our other needs! They better really love them some Bortles!!

WalterFootball.com: NFL Draft Rumor Mill
    Last week the Vikings were targeting Mettenberger. It is rare for the truth to leak out to the press this time of year. If I could spell the word, I would call it subterfuge! Hype the players you would like to see get picked before your pick and ignore, or act negative towards those you covet.
    I would not be surprised if they have an interest in Bortles. I would be shocked if they moved up to get him.

Brewtal is offline Starter
    Bridgewater is a questionable 2nd round pick. Do not think any of the qb a worthy of a #8 pick and only can see it acceptable to pull one in the 1st round if they trade back. I remember watching an interview of a defensive player who faced Bridgewater and he said that he takes a few hits and gets shaken up. The last thing the Vikings need is anther qb who's knees shake as soon as he gets under pressure.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Yeah, smoke and mirrors showing more smoke...specially with an extra two weeks of BS before the draft!

So far I've read rumors about The Vikings being interested in Garappolo (way early) Mettenberger (after boosting defense in the first,) Carr, and now, possibly moving up for Bortles. On the other hand, the only one they said anything negative about was Johny F'n Football...

So, the conclusion is? We'll dance to the podium with JFM on the card if he's still on the board!?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast