Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I sure want to slip Audie in there someplace, but I just get the feeling that the staff went out and drafted 2 LB'rs for a reason.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on Audie. I just think he is going to mature a bit slower than they thought is all.
    I don't know about that, we got two guards also. Why, from what I heard they were the BPA. So if we drafted a OT does that mean they gave up on Kalil?

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I don't know about that, we got two guards also. Why, from what I heard they were the BPA. So if we drafted a OT does that mean they gave up on Kalil?
    The more and more I dig deeper into the draft process, I am getting convinced that the BPA, if at all, only applies to the first 10 or 15 picks.

No way Locke was the BPA, nor was the C the Cowgirls took in the first. Hunter was alot better player than Cyprien in the second.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

My choice was just a gut feeling and the fact he's had a year to absorb the playbook and should be a step faster than the rookies, nothing more.
    Agree. I almost always default to the player that has NFL coaching over those that don't but for some reason I'm not loving me some Audie right now. I hope he proves me wrong.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    The more and more I dig deeper into the draft process, I am getting convinced that the BPA, if at all, only applies to the first 10 or 15 picks.

No way Locke was the BPA, nor was the C the Cowgirls took in the first. Hunter was alot better player than Cyprien in the second.
    I think there are draft grades and then a weighting for position needs. As you go later in the draft, the draft grades probably become much less significant and the position need weighting drives the decision a lot more. That is, the competition to make the team washes out low draft graded talent in positions of strength.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I think there are draft grades and then a weighting for position needs. As you go later in the draft, the draft grades probably become much less significant and the position need weighting drives the decision a lot more. That is, the competition to make the team washes out low draft graded talent in positions of strength.
    Gotcha, and I'm tracking with that and that can explain some of the later round stuff, but a C in the first that carried a 3rd round grade? That pick was all need.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Gotcha, and I'm tracking with that and that can explain some of the later round stuff, but a C in the first that carried a 3rd round grade? That pick was all need.
    Not according to Jerry

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Great job, Marr, my prediction is:

Greenway - SAM

Cole - MIKE

Henderson - WILL by the end of the year Hodges will play more and more.
    It sounds like Erin was told a while ago to bulk up to play the middle, but, I've got a gut feeling that Cole might have the inside track on one of those jobs too. He's got great size with perhaps a bit of room to grow at 6'4" 239 lbs, seems to have great instincts and decent hands judging by those 2 preseason pick-sixes he pulled back to back, but more importantly for him, he's a year ahead of the others as far as learning our system. From what I've read, he's played some inside and some outside backer, so he projects as at least a multiple backup, and along with Erin, gives us some flexibility as to whether he plays MLB but comes off on passing downs, or outside, keeping Erin consistently in the middle.

On a side note, these guys' flexibility was important going into the draft, as it allowed us to pick best LB available instead of kinda getting forced into reaching for one of the top MLBs earlier. (*my guy was Jon Bostic...hate that he went to da Bears!*)

Of course, the converted safety in Hodges, seems to make him the perfect fit on paper for the Will LB spot described above. The big questions here are whether his size will hold up vs. pulling, run blocking guards and bigger more athletic TEs, and of course, the old, can he stay healthy with 240 lbs packed on his 6'1" frame?

Maybe, Hey's idea of having him in with Chad or Erin on passing downs, but Cole as more of the regular, base D starter has some merit to it.

By 2012, Hodges started fulltime at outside linebacker and led Penn State's defense with seven pass deflections -- beating out his teammates in the secondary.

"Playing safety and learning how to flip your hips, I feel I'll be able to run with the guys who aren't as fast as receivers or slots," Hodges said. "I've got a pretty good feel for covering tight ends, I covered them all last year."
    'My mindset isn't (to) be a backup,' Vikings rookie Gerald Hodges says | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

I defintely agree with all that. There were some head scratchers in the draft. How did Geathers go undrafted? How did Bray go undrafted, I know he has some bad habits but he has as much talent as most of the QBs who were drafted. Da'Rick Rodgers went undrafted, crazy, I know he may be trouble but talent wise take a flyer on him in the seventh for gosh sakes. He is a first round talent. Crazy nuts that one team wouldn't touch the guy.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Agree. I almost always default to the player that has NFL coaching over those that don't but for some reason I'm not loving me some Audie right now. I hope he proves me wrong.
    We both may be right and we both may be wrong, way too early to tell my friend. Lotsa time to sift through the info that will come out in OTAs and preseason.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I hate the Cowboys as much or more than the Pukers, but I actually think they did the right thing there. They have tons of talent at WR, TE, RB and just spent big to keep their QB. Said QB needs better blocking to boost his confidence and Frederick was ranked as some as the most bad ass Center in the draft who can play guard too and also helps their running game. Totally a need pick, but they couldn't afford to not fill it.

Now, dropping the next two picks on another TE and WR with so many gaping holes on defense doesn't seem the smartest by any means, but they were both value picks at their slots, and do provide them with insurance for the future when they'll likely find themselves unable to afford both Austin and Bryant's and/or Witten's salaries. Looking at this roster page (note 5 empty spots!) sure makes them look like they're entering rebuilding mode on defense anyway...or going all in with the pass first and score more philosophy!?

Dallas Cowboys Depth Chart - NFL - CBSSports.com
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast