Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Who are we kidding ??

What I don't understand is how people keep telling us that TJack is no good and Childress is stupid.

It's logic for a blind chicken in slippers that you need a good QB to win. But it's not like you can just open up a window and call out in the street for some one to come in and be that guy.

A good QB is very hard to come by.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"cogitans" wrote:
    What I don't understand is how people keep telling us that TJack is no good and Childress is stupid.

It's logic for a blind chicken in slippers that you need a good QB to win. But it's not like you can just open up a window and call out in the street for some one to come in and be that guy.

Maybe that is what this chicken is doing.
    Scouting for Studwell for a Good QB.

Excellent post by the way.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

Maybe that is what this chicken is doing.
    Scouting for Studwell for a Good QB.

Excellent post by the way.
    Perfect picture there.

By the way, let me state this for the record. I'm not sure if TJack will eventually be the future for this team, but I think he has shown enough to keep his job for the start of next season

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

purplepowered is offline Pro-Bowler

"stateVIKE44" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Watching the NFL playoffs, a couple of things occur to me about winning in the modern NFL. I have to - as a Vikings fan - wonder if the Vikings will *ever* do these things in way you have to to get a ring in the modern NFL:

1. Pass with extreme precision and accuracy. Pass on most downs.
    2. Run a complex offense involving 4 and 5 receiver sets. Test the defense with that.
    3. Not make a lot of mistakes on offense (i.e. motion penalties, etc.)
    4. Tackle well
    5. Have two decent running backs to keep the defense honest
    6. Have 'good enough' special teams

To me, the main thing you have to do in the modern NFL is have a very intelligent, very accurate passer who can run an offense involving 4 and 5 receiver sets, and an offense that involves passing most of the time. Being accurate is the main thing, and throwing a good ball is the main thing. On defense, tackle well.

I see us tackling well, but let's be honest, just pounding the ball up the middle will never be enough in the modern NFL. And I am not sure that Childress got the memo on that, either.

When I compare our QB with Brady, P.Manning, Romo, Favre, Hasselbeck, Roethlisberger, Brees, etc. it is like we are not even in the same league as those teams. And I don't think QBs get more accurate. If Tarvaris is this inaccurate after starting 16 games, he will never be more accurate.

I guess we have more time to watch then, because he hasn't started 16 games yet.
    Kinda shows how much he knows how many games TJack has started. Just waiting to crush him down. Must be a news reporter. never giving credit but right there when mistakes are made.
    I am THE #1 Sidney Rice #18 Fan ever! Don't Be surprised when this kid IS a superstar! He is humble, smart, tough, talented and has alot of character! Takes alot of pride in his work, team, fans and life. Watch out for this kid! I think he is awesome! Everytime he touches the ball its MAGIC!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Smooth brain.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Some people still want the 98 version of offense, and don't see that we have changed to a WCO. Not having a consistent verticle threat has shaped our playcalling this last season, and it will be addressed in the off-season, but we are a different style offense now, with a more predominant rushing attack.
    We are geared more to control the LOS and clock, and will develope some quick strike ability later, but it will not be the 98 show revisited.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Some people still want the 98 version of offense, and don't see that we have changed to a WCO. Not having a consistent verticle threat has shaped our playcalling this last season, and it will be addressed in the off-season, but we are a different style offense now, with a more predominant rushing attack.
    We are geared more to control the LOS and clock, and will develope some quick strike ability later, but it will not be the 98 show revisited.
    I remember hearing that last off season.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"PurpleTide" wrote:

You my friend are wise beyond your years.

Has a poll ever been built on here to see how many people like the WCO or the Chuck it to Randy Offense we used to have?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni

IMHO, we had over a decade of the chuck it deep offense, and it never won us the big one...I'm glad to see us with the No.1 rushing game for a change!

Generally speaking of the playoffs this year, I think part of this thread's basis is a bit off...what I've noticed, is that teams have been trying to use their perceived weaknesses more, to try and surprise their opponent...

The Pats went to a balanced attack instead of just throwing...29 rushes/28 passes.
    Which, actually, is kind of misleading, because many of those throws were short ones...basically, an extension of the running game.
    Faulk had 5 and Maroney had 2 big ones, and most of Welker's catches were underneath too...hell, even Randy had a quick out reception.

The Packers ran the ball very well, setting team playoff records with Ryan Grant...35 rushes/23 passes total.

The Jags, came out passing...22 rush/33 pass.

Giants went running...23 rush/18 pass.

Cowboys were balanced, but came up short on the late INT...33 rush/36 pass.

Really, only the Indy/SD game both teams stuck to their guns, with Peyton throwing 48 attempts (wow, and lost), and the Chargers running 30 times.

So, back to original idea, I think you're right on except for the, "pass on most downs," part.
    Accuracy is obviously the missing link for our team.
    And, some 4 or even 5 WR sets should be mixed in!
    Just imagine what AP could do to a spread out defense!!!
    Of course, that idea won't work until we get some completions to back them off a bit.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Watching the NFL playoffs, a couple of things occur to me about winning in the modern NFL. I have to - as a Vikings fan - wonder if the Vikings will *ever* do these things in way you have to to get a ring in the modern NFL:

1. Pass with extreme precision and accuracy. Pass on most downs.

2. Run a complex offense involving 4 and 5 receiver sets. Test the defense with that.
    3. Not make a lot of mistakes on offense (i.e. motion penalties, etc.)
    4. Tackle well
    5. Have two decent running backs to keep the defense honest
    6. Have 'good enough' special teams

To me, the main thing you have to do in the modern NFL is have a very intelligent, very accurate passer who can run an offense involving 4 and 5 receiver sets, and an offense that involves passing most of the time. Being accurate is the main thing, and throwing a good ball is the main thing. On defense, tackle well.

I see us tackling well, but let's be honest, just pounding the ball up the middle will never be enough in the modern NFL. And I am not sure that Childress got the memo on that, either.

When I compare our QB with Brady, P.Manning, Romo, Favre, Hasselbeck, Roethlisberger, Brees, etc. it is like we are not even in the same league as those teams. And I don't think QBs get more accurate. If Tarvaris is this inaccurate after starting 16 games, he will never be more accurate.

1 and 2 I can't really agree with.
    Just because teams have been passy happy this year does not make it a recipe for success.
    I think it has more to do with the way teams are game planning for their particular opponent.

We spent years with a pass happy defense that never got anywhere.
    It is very hit or miss.
    Personally I agree that we need our QB position to improve - although I don't know if saying that QB accuracy never improves is correct.
    Sounds like that one got pulled out of somewhere dark and smelly.
    And I wouldn't hold Roethlisberger up when touting QB accuracy either...

I hope Childress sticks with the run-first attitude, but bolsters it with some what of an improved passing attack.
    If teams are forced to respect both the run and the pass, they compliment each other.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast