Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Who are we kidding ??

Watching the NFL playoffs, a couple of things occur to me about winning in the modern NFL. I have to - as a Vikings fan - wonder if the Vikings will *ever* do these things in way you have to to get a ring in the modern NFL:

1. Pass with extreme precision and accuracy. Pass on most downs.
    2. Run a complex offense involving 4 and 5 receiver sets. Test the defense with that.
    3. Not make a lot of mistakes on offense (i.e. motion penalties, etc.)
    4. Tackle well
    5. Have two decent running backs to keep the defense honest
    6. Have 'good enough' special teams

To me, the main thing you have to do in the modern NFL is have a very intelligent, very accurate passer who can run an offense involving 4 and 5 receiver sets, and an offense that involves passing most of the time. Being accurate is the main thing, and throwing a good ball is the main thing. On defense, tackle well.

I see us tackling well, but let's be honest, just pounding the ball up the middle will never be enough in the modern NFL. And I am not sure that Childress got the memo on that, either.

When I compare our QB with Brady, P.Manning, Romo, Favre, Hasselbeck, Roethlisberger, Brees, etc. it is like we are not even in the same league as those teams. And I don't think QBs get more accurate. If Tarvaris is this inaccurate after starting 16 games, he will never be more accurate.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Who are we kidding ??

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Watching the NFL playoffs, a couple of things occur to me about winning in the modern NFL. I have to - as a Vikings fan - wonder if the Vikings will *ever* do these things in way you have to to get a ring in the modern NFL:

2. Run a complex offense involving 4 and 5 receiver sets. Test the defense with that.
    4. Tackle well

To me, the main thing you have to do in the modern NFL is have a very intelligent, very accurate passer who can run an offense involving 4 and 5 receiver sets, and an offense that involves passing most of the time. Being accurate is the main thing, and throwing a good ball is the main thing. On defense, tackle well.

I see us tackling well, but let's be honest, just pounding the ball up the middle will never be enough in the modern NFL. And I am not sure that Childress got the memo on that, either.

When I compare our QB with Brady, P.Manning, Romo, Favre, Hasselbeck, Roethlisberger, Brees, etc. it is like we are not even in the same league as those teams. And I don't think QBs get more accurate. If Tarvaris is this inaccurate after starting 16 games, he will never be more accurate.

i only agree with 3,4 and 6.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:

4. Tackle well

We don't have this?

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

"StillPurple" wrote:

4. Tackle well

we will...i just hope we're alive to see it happen

stateVIKE44 is offline Pro-Bowler

"StillPurple" wrote:

4. Tackle well

I guess we have more time to watch then, because he hasn't started 16 games yet.
    "I play for the love of the game; I play because there is no greater feeling than hearing 80,000 fans screaming when you smack somebody!"
    ~ Jared Allen

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

"stateVIKE44" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

4. Tackle well

I guess we have more time to watch then, because he hasn't started 16 games yet.
    lol, he gotcha there...2 more starts till 16 i think, anyway, i dont think thats true, he wont ever be more accurate? then what the heck is practice for?!
    thats just like saying a good player would be just as good without practice pretty much.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Excellent idea for a post my friend.

Couple of comments.

So do you want this team to be a pass first offense?
    I don't.
    I want it to be a balanced offense that leans a bit more towards the run/ball control.
    I think we are there when it comes to running with a small issue related to being able to audible out of run/pass plays as the situation dictates.

As to the pass, well hell, everyone knows that it is easier to install the running game than it is the passing game when you have a veritable rookie starting as your QB, no threat at WR that can go deep and a offensive line that struggled early on (and at times later on) with providing pass protection.

Again, I ask, do you want to be a passing offense or a running offense.
    Seems you like to see the kindof stuff Vermiel ran in the late 90's at St Louis.
    If that is your bag, you probably will be let down with this offense.

One thing to remember though.
    Most WCO teams are/can pass with just as much efficiency as they do running if the Defense gives it to them.
    I assume that we will see a bit more pass next year (at least more 3 WR sets) as our OL gets more stable and our QB matures a bit more.

I actually thought we did pretty good in this area this year.

4. Tackle well
    I think we have some pretty good tacklers on this team.
    Problem I saw was that they could be shook abit when taking angles to the ball.
    That will also go away as the team matures in some areas.

I think we are pretty good here as well.

I thought this was gonna be one of our weaknesses this year and started a whole thread on it.
    Much to my suprise I was wrong and we excelled in ST.
    Did we see a KO return for a TD every game? Hell no, but we saw some good stuff out there form our returners, kickers and tacklers.

If I could, I would add that the teams we are watching in the playoffs that are doing well have the following:

a.
    A good front office.
    b.
    Depth/can absord an inury.
    c.
    Balance.
    Both on offense and defense

Again, a great idea for a post.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

You have to remember that Manning, Brady and Favre are all first ballot hall of famers, and in my opinion are the three best quarterbacks of all time. They are the type of quarterbacks that can carry a team to the superbowl. Do you think the Colts, Patriots or Packers would be in the playoffs if they didn't have those guys at quarterback? Maybe, but they would be nowhere near as impressive. If the Vikings had any of those guys, there is no doubt in my mind that we would be the favorites to be in the superbowl.

PAViking is offline Rookie

"Marrdro" wrote:

Couple of comments.

I don't.
    I want it to be a balanced offense that leans a bit more towards the run/ball control.
    I think we are there when it comes to running with a small issue related to being able to audible out of run/pass plays as the situation dictates.

As to the pass, well hell, everyone knows that it is easier to install the running game than it is the passing game when you have a veritable rookie starting as your QB, no threat at WR that can go deep and a offensive line that struggled early on (and at times later on) with providing pass protection.

Seems you like to see the kindof stuff Vermiel ran in the late 90's at St Louis.

Most WCO teams are/can pass with just as much efficiency as they do running if the Defense gives it to them.
    I assume that we will see a bit more pass next year (at least more 3 WR sets) as our OL gets more stable and our QB matures a bit more.

4. Tackle well

I thought this was gonna be one of our weaknesses this year and started a whole thread on it.
    Did we see a KO return for a TD every game? Hell no, but we saw some good stuff out there form our returners, kickers and tacklers.

If I could, I would add that the teams we are watching in the playoffs that are doing well have the following:

a.
    A good front office.
    b.

c.
    Balance.

IE the charger- colts game.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"PAViking" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Couple of comments.

I don't.

4. Tackle well

a.
    A good front office.
    b.

c.
    Balance.

IE the charger- colts game.
    Looked like a battle of attrition there for awhile didn't it.
    Figured it was all over when Volek came in.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast