Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Who should be the next Viking added to the Ring of Fame?

"purplepat" wrote:
    As "great" as Foreman was, I'm not sure he really is worthy of being on the Ring of Fame. To be sure, he was a versatile back, the best the Vikings had had for years. On the other hand, in only three of his seven seasons as a Viking did he rush for 1000 yards. Those were the only three years he ranked among the NFL's top ten rushers. His career rushing average was only 3.8 yards per carry, and he ran for less than 6000 yards in his career. On the plus side, he was a great receiver out of the backfield, adding another 3100 yards in receptions and he scored 75 TDs in his Viking days.

Right now, the two I can see would be Randall McDaniel (12 time Pro Bowler) and John Randle (6 straight Pro Bowls as a Viking). Doleman also played in six Pro Bowls as a Viking.
    You trying to say that Bill Brown deserved it more than Chuck does? Most Vikings fans don't even know who Bill Brown is...but almost everyone knows who Chuck Foreman is!!! 'Nuff said! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

"jackyl" wrote:
    Chuck's numbers have been good enough to have him nominated for the Hall of Fame 3 times... 5 straight pro bowls, 3 super bowls, Rookie of the year, 2 time league MVP. No way he doesn't deserve to be in the Ring of Honor with those accolades.
    Jackyl,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure Foreman was not the league MVP twice, maybe not even once! I know Tark was MVP one season there during Foreman's heyday, and Foreman might have gotten MVP that year he scored 22 TDs. But I'm pretty sure he was not league MVP twice. You do make a good point about the five straight Pro Bowls. I would still maintain that McDaniel and Randle had more outstanding careers than Foreman. Foreman is definitely one of the Vikings greatest RBs, but in the annals of the NFL he is just merely another very good RB and not one of the all-time greats.

EDIT: I looked it up....Foreman never won the NFL MVP award.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

"purplepat" wrote:
    "jackyl" wrote:
    Chuck's numbers have been good enough to have him nominated for the Hall of Fame 3 times... 5 straight pro bowls, 3 super bowls, Rookie of the year, 2 time league MVP. No way he doesn't deserve to be in the Ring of Honor with those accolades.
    Jackyl,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure Foreman was not the league MVP twice, maybe not even once! I know Tark was MVP one season there during Foreman's heyday, and Foreman might have gotten MVP that year he scored 22 TDs. But I'm pretty sure he was not league MVP twice. You do make a good point about the five straight Pro Bowls. I would still maintain that McDaniel and Randle had more outstanding careers than Foreman. Foreman is definitely one of the Vikings greatest RBs, but in the annals of the NFL he is just merely another very good RB and not one of the all-time greats.
    He was CONFERENCE Player of the Year twice (see link below):
    http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/foremanchuck.shtml

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

"purplepat" wrote:
    Jackyl,

Conference player of the year 2 years, and Sporting new nfl Player of the years twice. I saw the trophies on his mantel last night infact. I'd beg to differ on the list of all time greats... nominated 3 times for Hall of fame is better than being another good player. His on the field is better than Bill Brown. He's in the Ring of Honor. His numbers there with Gayle Sayers.... he's in Hall of Fame.

"jackyl" wrote:
    "purplepat" wrote:
    Jackyl,

Plus this:

Chuck Foreman, 200 yards against Philadelphia, 10/24/76

Conference player of the year 2 years, and Sporting new nfl Player of the years twice. I saw the trophies on his mantel last night infact. I'd beg to differ on the list of all time greats... nominated 3 times for Hall of fame is better than being another good player. His on the field is better than Bill Brown. He's in the Ring of Honor. His numbers there with Gayle Sayers.... he's in Hall of Fame.

"jackyl" wrote:
    "purplepat" wrote:
    Jackyl,

You should call Hickok Sports and set them straight!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    You trying to say that Bill Brown deserved it more than Chuck does? Most Vikings fans don't even know who Bill Brown is...but almost everyone knows who Chuck Foreman is!!! 'Nuff said! :grin:
    Not at all. If I had a vote, Brown might not be on the ring either. I think Brown is the Vikings all-time leading rusher, but as you stated, no one is going to mistake Bill Brown for a Hall of Fame caliber player. And that's my only point...neither is Foreman. Foreman didn't have a Hall of Fame type career. He was very, very good for a span of about five seasons. Foreman fans may have a point in that without him, the Vikings might never have reached the Super Bowl those three times in the 70's.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm a big Chuck Foreman fan, although as far as Viking running backs go, I think I'm a bigger Robert Smith fan. I just think that such honors cannot be given out lightly (or you'll have 50 guys names posted around the stadium). Foreman definitely deserves a spot at RB on the Vikings All-Time team, but I would hope the Vikings greatest RB has yet to take the field for them.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

There's NO WAY Chuck should not be on the Vikes' Ring of Fame! I saw him in his heydey, and he redefined the RB position with his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. He was one of the most feared RB's in his day BECAUSE of that. He was shifty, fast, and could leave a tackler in his jock when he ran upfield. Plus, one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet - he'd go out of his way to sign an autograph, have a picture taken with you, etc....
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

"purplepat" wrote:
    [ Bill Brown for a Hall of Fame caliber player. And that's my only point...neither is Foreman.
    And yet Chuck has been on the ballot 3 times, and is on the list as of now for the coming ballot as well....

As far as Gale Sayers being in the Hall of Fame, he was a player who shone brightly for a very limited number of years due to injury. In fact, he only played in 68 NFL games, which these days is only a little over four full seasons. Sayers averaged 5.0 yards per carry and 11.7 yards per reception in his career (Foreman's averages are 3.8 and 9.0). Sayers averaged about 92 combined rushing/receiving yards per game to Foreman's 83. They both averaged about 0.70 TDs/game. Sayers was also a deadly kick returner. Now, does that make Sayers a Hall of Fame caliber player? Debatable in my mind. Under those criteria, Terrell Davis should be a Hall of Fame lock.

Oh, I stand corrected as well. Chuck Foreman rushed for more yards in his career than Bill Brown did. Robert Smith is the all-time leader, about 900 yards ahead of Foreman.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast