Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Who Should Lead The Vikings: Childress Vs. Frazier

[size=13pt]Who Should Lead The Vikings: Childress Vs. Frazier[/size]

by Michael Treece (Contributor)

January 21, 2009

The Minnesota Vikings just finished their best NFL season since the year 2000, so why are so many fans calling for Brad Childress to be fired?....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Who Should Lead The Vikings: Childress Vs. Frazier

It comes to public perception and stadium issues.
    Based on the stadium issue I may go with Frazier if I was the owner.
    Childress has built the team up and there is a fair share of fans that want him gone.
    If Frazier is hired the team keeps some consistency and the fanatics think the team is listening to them and the optimism rises and the stadium gets approved.

This is pure fantasy.

My plan, as owner, would be to keep Childress as HC and have him on the short-leash.
    If things are going sour next year Childress would be canned during the season and Frazier would be installed as interim HC.
    Have an open competition after the season for the next HC and have all that going on while wheeling and dealing for the stadium.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Paint me silly, but if Leslie was HC material you think he would have landed a job by now considering all the opportunities he has had in the last 2 years......

If we are gonna make a move to replace the Chiller then lets go with someone that can really do the job.........

a.
    Pete Carroll.
    Sure he struggled before but he has matured as a HC and has a damn fine job out at USC.
    He knows the type of player coming out of college and would probably get more production out of them than some old has been.

b.
    Mike Shanahan.
    Almost a perfect fit for our players.
    Most fans would probably be upset with his scheme as it closely resembles what we are trying to do now.

c.
    Gruden.
    I'm not so sure about this cat but he fits our defensive scheme and uses a WCO variant a bit different than what we run but it isn't to far fetched to see him come in here and get production out of the team.

As Proph said, if the Chiller gets fired, it is more along the lines of a "Name" to get the stadium off top dead center.
    Those 3 names fit the bill better than a D coord who can't get a HC job from even the Raiders....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Paint me silly, but if Leslie was HC material you think he would have landed a job by now considering all the opportunities he has had in the last 2 years......

If we are gonna make a move to replace the Chiller then lets go with someone that can really do the job.........

a.
    Pete Carroll.
    Sure he struggled before but he has matured as a HC and has a gol 'darnit fine job out at USC.
    He knows the type of player coming out of college and would probably get more production out of them than some old has been.

b.
    Mike Shanahan.
    Most fans would probably be upset with his scheme as it closely resembles what we are trying to do now.

c.
    Gruden.
    I'm not so sure about this cat but he fits our defensive scheme and uses a WCO variant a bit different than what we run but it isn't to far fetched to see him come in here and get production out of the team.

As Proph said, if the Chiller gets fired, it is more along the lines of a "Name" to get the stadium off top dead center.

Those 3 names fit the bill better than a D coord who can't get a HC job from even the Raiders....
    I would like to throw The Chin in there as well. Seems unlikely but so did getting J. Allen. You never know.

bleedpurple is online now Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    Pete Carroll.
    Sure he struggled before but he has matured as a HC and has a gol 'darnit fine job out at USC.

b.
    Mike Shanahan.

c.
    Gruden.

I like how your thinking Mar.. but i have a few reservations about your picks...

1. Carroll, actually he had a winning record as a HC in the NFL, so to say he struggled, is kind of an overstatement.
    He wasn't wildly successful however, he was a more than capable HC as he coached the jets and the pats...
    He'd want full control over the roster and so i doubt he'd be hired.

2. Shannahan, i think he would be an ideal pick, however, his offense is similar to what we do now, and he doens't lack creativity, so i honestly think he'd be an upgrade, as ppl don't necessarily have a problem with scheme as much as they do with creativity... and, if shannahan can get productivity out of near any back making the likes of mike anderson and such 1,000 yard rushers, imagine what he could do with AP..

3. Gruden, i think he ran the tampa 2 mostly bc of the legend was still running the defense, so if they have an amazing defense, then why change it... much like what tomlin did in Pitt... I will say i dont' like the Gruden pick mostly bc of what players had to say about him saying one thing and doing another.. noone trusted him (which ultimately got him fired) and i think that's not the type of coach you want here in MInny... he didn't run the tampa 2 in oakland... additionally, he is supposed to be an offensive genius and never really had a dominant offense his whole time in tampa...

I'd like to think of guys like maybe a Bill Parcels if he wants to come back to coaching which there have been rumors he does.
    perhaps a Sean Peyton if he gets fired.. Jason garrett?.. perhaps... I wouldn't mind frazier getting the job as long as he hires someone like an Al Saunders to run the offense... you know!!! an established OC..

I think the HC has less to do with ability and more to do with having solid coordinators who can run their own show... much like John Harbaugh did up in Baltimore.. he got established coordinators which made his job alot easier...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    Pete Carroll.

b.
    Mike Shanahan.

c.
    Gruden.

I would like to throw The Chin in there as well. Seems unlikely but so did getting J. Allen. You never know.
    Agree......Point is the author didn't put much thought into the article and basically regurged history based on what he has read on the internet.

Seriously, The Chiller did this and The Chiller did that with no mention of the FO role.
    No wonder Joe Fan believes HC's just run around willy nilly doing it allllllllll and have no concept on how a NFL organization really works....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    Pete Carroll.

b.
    Mike Shanahan.

c.
    Gruden.

Agree......Point is the author didn't put much thought into the article and basically regurged history based on what he has read on the internet.

Seriously, The Chiller did this and The Chiller did that with no mention of the FO role.
    No wonder Joe Fan believes HC's just run around willy nilly doing it allllllllll and have no concept on how a NFL organization really works....
    i tend to agree in this case. I'm not sure why everyone thinks he would be an upgrade to Chilly. I haven't seen anything that says he has "it" he seems to blend into the background and seems forgettable. Our increase in defensive position could be attributed to the additional talent we aquired as easily as it is attributed to him.

bleedpurple is online now Ring of Fame

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    Pete Carroll.

b.
    Mike Shanahan.

c.
    Gruden.

i tend to agree in this case. I'm not sure why everyone thinks he would be an upgrade to Chilly. I haven't seen anything that says he has "it" he seems to blend into the background and seems forgettable. Our increase in defensive position could be attributed to the additional talent we aquired as easily as it is attributed to him.
    aint that the truth.. i've been saying that ALL year, esp. when ppl get
    on the fraz bandwagon...
    I really didn't see all that much difference in overall defense play than we did when tomlin was here...

i think ppl look at the fact that he's a dungy disciple and say OMG he must be great, but he's not DUngy and just bc they have the same demeanor does not mean that they are the same type of guys or coaches...

I will say however, alot of our DC's make good head coaches.... Dungy, Tomlin... I even liked O'leary when he was here...

I mean, really, we've had 3 coaches that were coordinators here and 2 of them have rings, and one is a pretty good shot he'll get one next week...

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Prophet" wrote:
    Childress has built the team up and there is a fair share of fans that want him gone.

If Frazier is hired the team keeps some consistency and the fanatics think the team is listening to them and the optimism rises and the stadium gets approved.

This is pure fantasy.

My plan, as owner, would be to keep Childress as HC and have him on the short-leash.
    If things are going sour next year Childress would be canned during the season and Frazier would be installed as interim HC.
    Have an open competition after the season for the next HC and have all that going on while wheeling and dealing for the stadium.
    Good plan, but not too short a leash. Childress started out 1-3 this year but finished 9-3 the rest of the way. I'd give him 8 losses before he was fired, the 4-8 chargers got in the playoffs and won their first game.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

This is pure fantasy.

Good plan, but not too short a leash. Childress started out 1-3 this year but finished 9-3 the rest of the way. I'd give him 8 losses before he was fired, the 4-8 chargers got in the playoffs and won their first game.
    I agree.
    After a 10-6 win, division crown, and a trip to the playoffs, Childress has earned the right to at least finish the season IMHO.
    It might be ugly, but it is technically working... for now.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast