Prophet Guest

Who said Brad isn’t media friendly?

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/
    Who said Brad isn’t media friendly?
    Tuesday, August 15th, 2006
    by Judd Zulgad

Vikings fans might have been upset that Brad Childress didn’t elect to take a sure-thing field goal to send Monday night’s preseason opener into overtime, but nobody in the press box was complaining.

Faced with a deadline situation, Childress helped us all out by going for the victory. He didn’t get it, but who cares? It’s an exhibition game, folks. Childress, and everyone else, had seen what they needed to see and playing an overtime session in the preseason would have been … there isn’t even a word for what it would have been.

It was former Vikings coach Mike Tice who told everyone to “enjoy the SEASON.” Tice never said a word about enjoying the preseason and there was good reason for that.

Here’s a few of the postgame comments from Childress after the Vikings’ 16-13 defeat. “I thought the first half being penalty free with the exception of a special-teams penalty was a plus,” he said. “I didn’t like our sloppiness in the second half [five flags for 45 yards]. Those are a couple of the things we wanted to accomplish.

“In terms of the game itself, the offense had an eight-play, 56-yard touchdown drive. [That first-quarter drive was directed by rookie QB Tarvaris Jackson and ended with fullback Tony Richardson’s 3-yard run.] The defense started the first 16 minutes and didn’t allow a completion. That’s not bad. It was 7-6 [in favor of the Raiders] when the starters left. We had a two-minute drive and got a chance to score points at the end of the half. … There are a ton of good things to work on. But I know when I turn that tape on tomorrow there will be some other things.”

The Vikings also will find out today the extent of the knee injury to rookie linebacker Chad Greenway. This could be a tough break for both the Vikings and Greenway. Heath Farwell saw extensive playing time with Greenway out and certainly impressed the coaching staff. Farwell was all over the field and had a game-high nine tackles.

Among the other draft picks, cornerback Cedric Griffin (second round) intercepted a pass and broke up another; defensive end Ray Edwards (fourth round) had a sack and forced a fumble on a goal-line play in the fourth quarter; and Greg Blue (fifth round) had six tackles and a sack. Rookie right tackle Ryan Cook (second round) also saw time. Cook was a college center and is being put in a tough spot trying to learn a new position.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Who said Brad isn’t media friendly?

I never remember hearing that Childress wasn't media friendly.. I like coach Childress, he brings some discipline, and class to the Vikings.. Something that was lacking for a long time and much needed..

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Not going into OT prevents injuries that you don't need in the preseason.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I never remember hearing that Childress wasn't media friendly.. I like coach Childress, he brings some discipline, and class to the Vikings.. Something that was lacking for a long time and much needed..
    Key word: Class. That's what we needed more than anything. We can earn respect, but having class can make us champions. The Class to work hard, stay out of trouble and away from distractions makes other teams respect you and when you're not the laughing stock of the whole league, then we're better of than last year at least...
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

He said that T-Jack directed the 1st QTR TD play. Was TJack calling th plays? I thought BJ was on the field for that TD?