Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    It was Childress' priority in 2006, however he never made good on that promise. One of the first things he said after being hired was "It all starts up front" & he vowed to start there to fix the issues. It never came to fruition.

I don't even think I'd keep Loadholt. He's still getting beat & gets flagged with penalties far to often.
    Based on what? Statistically the OL got better each and every year. Even with CT (pre AD) we had a 1,000 yard back.

Our OL has had issues I will give you that, but you just don't understand how bad OL's really can get.

Dnabb hasn't been hit near the number of times other QBs in the league have. (26 hits, ranked 19th). 46 is the worst by the way. When Dnabb has been hit, it was because he was dumb about it and didn't get rid of the ball as he has had the time to throw this year.

Dnabb has been sacked 16 times. That is 7th worst in the leauge, but again, he has taken alot of them that he doesn't have to take.

We are 3rd in the league in rushing. I know everyone will say that just AD getting it on his own, but I raise the bullshit flag on that. The limited touches our other backs have had have produced pretty decent yards.

Again, our OL isn't stacked with a HOF'r across it, but sit here and keep saying our OL is bad just really ignores reality my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Freakout View Post
    They could pretty much fix the line next off season but fans would probably complain about it.

Draft Jonathan Martin/Riley Reiff and Mike Brewster/Peter Konz with our first two picks then go after Carl Nicks in free agency. Offensive line fixed.
    I agree that they could address the OL in the draft, but I really worry that we have the scouts to do it.

Last years OL draft really really really sucked.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    It was Childress' priority in 2006, however he never made good on that promise. One of the first things he said after being hired was "It all starts up front" & he vowed to start there to fix the issues. It never came to fruition.

I don't even think I'd keep Loadholt. He's still getting beat & gets flagged with penalties far to often.
    It was never more of a priority than the Hutch deal. Other than that his statement was lip service.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepat View Post
    Marr my friend...

I have to disagree with you on several points:

Johnson better than McKinnie? Come on!
    Its not a disagreement my friend, its a discussion and its highly encouraged......

Jenkins vs. Rice? Give me a healthy Rice any day!
    I tend to agree with you but would rather have V-jax. Besides, we dont' really know how good Jenkins can be. He's caught some balls but damn near everyone of them has been to him standing still instead of catching it in stride thus limiting YAC. Again, lets see if this improves with Ponder under center.

Ballard vs Jayme Mitchell? Mitchell didn't even play for the Vikes in 2010! Plus, has Ballard done ANYTHING in a real game yet?
    Hmmm, the site had him on the roster (Mitchell). Are you sure he wasn't released sometime during the season?
    As to Ballard, his numbers are better than Remi's. I know that isn't saying much but its reality.

Even with 'tude, I'll still take Randy Moss over any Vikes WR other than PH.
    Why, he can't get open anymore?

At any rate, I refuse to agree with those that think this team has no talent. But you can argue that while the OL isn't necessarily worse in 11 than 10, it still basically was/is an underperforming unit. I think our secondary is no better than average, and I think pass coverage by the LBs leaves a ton to be desired. There are a bunch of holes on this team that prevent it from being elite, but do not prevent it from being competitive.
    All good points, but the issues with the secondary and LB'rs with respect to coverage really go back to the fact that they have to overcome a lack of pressure by our front 4 without help.

Look at the Jets this year? Giving up 4 more points a game than us. Crappy CB's or piss poor pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I contend that they haven't been trying to fix the line. IMHO they have been content with the line and haven't had it as a priority. My time frame assumes they have a sudden change in that belief.

I would like to see them all replaced . Load holt may be worth keeping but otherwise they all can go
    Maybe, just maybe, being ranked 13th in the league (2010) makes it a "non-priority" and an issue only in fans eyes that (by the way) will almost always admit that it is an area they don't understand.

Seriously, go watch teams like the Rams, the Bores (unless they face our DL), the Seachickens (getting better by the way) etc. That is poor line play. Ours has issues, but nothing that is consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    How in the heck did you miss the two most glaring and obvious ones?

The Chilli and the KAO!
    LOL, well played my friend, well played indeed.

Not sure about you my friend, but I miss the Chiller and the KAO right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I love these discussions....... Good topic my friend.
    LOL, even a clock is right twice a day....

If Moss was here and if Chilly had been fired right away instead of waiting Moss would have made Mc, Ponder and every other player on the offense better. Not what he used to be but still heads and shoulders better than anything we have right now or will have for some time.
    Moss can't get open anymore. Thats why he's not on a team. Why oh why do you guys/gals keep pining for him?

Calling BS on that one. Johnson is actually worse than if we would have kept Ryan Cook and McKinney is nearly in pro bowl form with the Ravens. His coach is ecstatic with having him on the team.If we still had Birk and Mac we may have 4-5 wins right now.
    Big Mac popped his head out of his ass so he is playing up to his potential. Gotta give the coaches a F- for not being able to motivate the young man.

Have you watched Matt play this year? He is definately the worse lineman on that team right now.

Swing and a miss you mean. The OL is terrible. It had been bad for years but has reached an all time low right now. Elite teams dominate them.
    Statistically your wrong. If Dnabb would have completed half the one hops we would have a top 10 OL this year. Instead, his piss poor play has them about were they were with the Noodles piss poor play.

The Dline is the deepest unit on the team. We have young guys who are stepping up and getting better every day. And in this case they improved by trimming a little fat off of the bone.
    Define Deep. A glut of very fast 3 technique DT's that can't even get pressure on the most sacked QB doesn't define deep to me.

Possibly a bit better with Erin replacing Leber but the LB's are still too slow for the T2 defense and get us in all kinds of trouble in the passing defense as well as run defense.The lack of speed makes the holes in the zones way too big.
    This, like our CB/S issues can be directly related to how well our front 4 are playing. Against the Cards (pressure from just them), LB'rs and DB's looked stellar.

Don't get the pressure and you see S's brought down which leaves Griff running with Hester and a S getting over there late. That isn't a C2 scheme my friend.

QB- we will see if Ponder solves that one.
    OL- That is a few year fix at a minimum.
    WR- Did nothing to take pressure off of the running game.
    LB- Too slow as a unit and not exactly the greatest tackling group in the division.
    CB- Too slow and not physical enough. Cook has been a pleasant surprise but Winny is older, slower and getting beat up and Griff lost a step or 2 and can no longer be counted on to do his job. Too slow for the T2.
    S- A complete disaster. No speed, not physical at all and penalty prone.
    WR- The QB didn't do anything to take the pressure off the running game, not the WR's. Get a guy in there that can hit them instride and that won't be an issue.

LB, CB, S - They don't have to be fast if they are allowed to drop into their zones. Force them to cover 2 zones and yes, they are to slow. But hey, if their covering two zones (cause someone is helping our shitty ass DL), then yes, they are to slow.

Good stuff my friend. Good stuff indeed.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I agree that they could address the OL in the draft, but I really worry that we have the scouts to do it.

Last years OL draft really really really sucked.
    Next years draft is tackle heavy. Though outside of Kalil, Martin, and Reiff the others are projected as being better served as right tackles. With the 3 I named going possibly in the top 10. It would be really hard to screw that up. Pretty much the top 10 picks look to be heavy with QB's, LT's, and WR's.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, being ranked 13th in the league (2010) makes it a "non-priority" and an issue only in fans eyes that (by the way) will almost always admit that it is an area they don't understand.

Seriously, go watch teams like the Rams, the Bores (unless they face our DL), the Seachickens (getting better by the way) etc. That is poor line play. Ours has issues, but nothing that is consistent.
    You have to look at age as well. I still like Hutch a lot but he is going to be 34 next month. With age comes slower recovery times for bouncing back from injuries.

Sullivan, whom I am not a fan off, is hurt AGAIN. Even you have admitted we could upgrade the position despite you being fond of him.

Charlie Johnson gives it his best but is often out matched.

If you walk into a bar and it is filled with fat, ugly, women and you walk out with the best looking one of the group.....you still end up with a fat ugly woman.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    LOL, even a clock is right twice a day....
    Does that mean it is wrong 1338 times a day? Or did you mean a broken clock?

Moss can't get open anymore. Thats why he's not on a team. Why oh why do you guys/gals keep pining for him?
    Child please. He was getting open just fine when he played here last year and even when they didn't throw to him he took pressure off of Harvin and the run game. I tell you what, go to twitter, find Harvin, and ask him if he would rather have Moss or any other player on our roster and get back to me on that one.

It isn't that he can't get open, he just lost his give a shit.

Big Mac popped his head out of his ass so he is playing up to his potential. Gotta give the coaches a F- for not being able to motivate the young man.

Have you watched Matt play this year? He is definately the worse lineman on that team right now.
    Actually thanks to the DVR I have watched him play and obviously you haven't because he is still playing better than any center we have had since him and the coach has even talked about how well he is doing. Hater.

Statistically your wrong. If Dnabb would have completed half the one hops we would have a top 10 OL this year. Instead, his piss poor play has them about were they were with the Noodles piss poor play.
    Statistically if Longwell kicked every kickoff through the end zone and made every field goal he would be the best kicker in the league........ And if AP ran for a TD every time he touched the ball....

Where the OL was when Brett was playing shitty was the stage of major suckage. So with that established yeah, they look like they did then- Bad.

Define Deep. A glut of very fast 3 technique DT's that can't even get pressure on the most sacked QB doesn't define deep to me.
    By deep I mean number of players on the unit who actually contribute or at least don't totally suck when they play. Not that it is the best unit in the league but on this team they are. You can either credit the unit or say that the rest of the units really suck. They just suck less.

This, like our CB/S issues can be directly related to how well our front 4 are playing. Against the Cards (pressure from just them), LB'rs and DB's looked stellar.

Don't get the pressure and you see S's brought down which leaves Griff running with Hester and a S getting over there late. That isn't a C2 scheme my friend.
    Not really- we have had dominant play from the front 4 at times in games and the DB's still end up giving up plays. When you have the league sack leader and the other DE has more sacks at this time than any Viking at that position for a long time even though they don't have a fat ass old guy at NT like you want.

LB, CB, S - They don't have to be fast if they are allowed to drop into their zones. Force them to cover 2 zones and yes, they are to slow. But hey, if their covering two zones (cause someone is helping our shitty ass DL), then yes, they are to slow
    They don't have to be fast if you don't care about INT's or killing drives. If you want a dominant defense then speed is never a liability.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast