Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Who Is Really Gone?`

I got tired of reading articles today that kept repeating how many holes we have on this roster so I went ahead and compared the 2010 roster (pretty much the same as the 2009 roster) with what we have on the field today so that I could see what the hell these yutz's are talking about.

We have 18 players gone from the 2009 roster 8 of which were starters.

Starter - The Noodle, replaced by Dnabb - Push IMHO. I still contend that the WR's made the Noodle in 2009 anways.

Backup - TJ, replaced by Ponder - Still to be decided. I can tell you this, I think TJ would have played better than Dnabb.

Backup - Albert Young, replaced by no one. No big loss IMHO.

Backup Added - Kyle Rudolph. Seems like a nice addition that will probably make his presence felt a bit more now that we have a QB who won't one hop the ball to him. That one grap he did make were the ball was High, Hot and Behind was pretty damn sweet.

Starter - Naufahu Tahi, replaced by Ryan D'Imperio. Still undecided. Haven't seen enough of Ryan, especially since the staff just re-activated him from the PS last weekend. I did see him run a couple of very nice routes but Dnabb didn't see him.

Starter - Rice, replaced by Jenkins. - Still to be decided. I think Jenkins will be OK with a QB who can throw him the ball. I would have been happier if they would have went after V-jax though.

Backups - Hank Baskett, Greg Lewis, Randy Moss, replaced by Devin Aromashodu. - Still to be decided. Again, I like what Arosh has done with his limited reps especially since he had a QB throwing to him that couldn't get it there.

Starter - Big Mac replaced by Charlie Johnson. I'm gonna give the edge to Johnson as I think he is playing better than Big Mac.

Backups - Cook, DeGeare, replaced by Berger, Brown, Fusco, Kooistra, Love. Push, I like what Berger has done in his limited reps as a backup and even though we saw a couple of backups come in last week, I am going to wait on how well they fill in compared to Cook. Regardless of what most on here think, I still say he was a good swing man.

Starter - Ray Edwards, replaced by Brian Robison. Promotion from the bench. Gonna say that this is one case were we are better off than we were last year.

Starter - Pat Williams, replaced by Remi Ayodele. Still undecided here. Phat Pat wasn't getting it done with any consistency the last two years and I just don't get the feeling Remi is going to either. Maybe after he and K-dubb play a bit more together it will come around.

Backups - Jimmy Kennedy, Jayme Mitchell, replaced by Christian Ballard. I think Ballard has done a heck of alot better job than these two did.

Starter - Ben Leber, replaced by Erin Henderson. Another bench promotion that I think has made us better. Erin isn't giving us the "Jazz" types of plays yet, but he sure has been around the ball alot when he is on the field. I suspect we will start to hear his name called more and more as the season goes on.

Backups - Heath Farewell, replaced by Larry Dean, Xavier Adibi. Other than the return by Hester last week, the coverage units have been stellar. I don't see this as a hole.

Backups - Lito Sheppard, Frank Walker, Replaced by Brandon Burton. Dont' see this as an issue. Of course having our starters back on the field in Cook and Griff help.

Starter - Madieu Williams, replaced by Jamarca Sanford. Promotion from the bench (Johnson rotates in). I see this as an improvement.

Backups - None released. Mistral Raymond added. Still undecided on him.

So, after looking at it like that, who, what, were are the big wholes that everyone seems to think we have?

We still have a very talented group of guys that CAN start on any team....

AD, JA, K-DUBB, Griff, Cook, Percy, Shanc, Hutch, Sauce, Rob, EJ, Chad,

.....and several that would push most starters.

If we have any issues that need to be fixed, I'm of a mind its at the coaching level cause it appears to me that the Chiller got this team pretty damn close to going all the way, now that he's gone, one would think another coach could as well.

Someone help me. Show me were the holes are with respect to talent on the field.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I got tired of reading articles today that kept repeating how many holes we have on this roster so I went ahead and compared the 2010 roster (pretty much the same as the 2009 roster) with what we have on the field today so that I could see what the hell these yutz's are talking about.

Starter - The Noodle, replaced by Dnabb - Push IMHO. I still contend that the WR's made the Noodle in 2009 anways.

Backup - TJ, replaced by Ponder - Still to be decided. I can tell you this, I think TJ would have played better than Dnabb.

Backup Added - Kyle Rudolph. Seems like a nice addition that will probably make his presence felt a bit more now that we have a QB who won't one hop the ball to him. That one grap he did make were the ball was High, Hot and Behind was pretty damn sweet.

Starter - Naufahu Tahi, replaced by Ryan D'Imperio. Still undecided. Haven't seen enough of Ryan, especially since the staff just re-activated him from the PS last weekend. I did see him run a couple of very nice routes but Dnabb didn't see him.

Starter - Rice, replaced by Jenkins. - Still to be decided. I think Jenkins will be OK with a QB who can throw him the ball. I would have been happier if they would have went after V-jax though.

Backups - Hank Baskett, Greg Lewis, Randy Moss, replaced by Devin Aromashodu. - Still to be decided. Again, I like what Arosh has done with his limited reps especially since he had a QB throwing to him that couldn't get it there.

Starter - Big Mac replaced by Charlie Johnson. I'm gonna give the edge to Johnson as I think he is playing better than Big Mac.

Backups - Cook, DeGeare, replaced by Berger, Brown, Fusco, Kooistra, Love. Push, I like what Berger has done in his limited reps as a backup and even though we saw a couple of backups come in last week, I am going to wait on how well they fill in compared to Cook. Regardless of what most on here think, I still say he was a good swing man.

Starter - Ray Edwards, replaced by Brian Robison. Promotion from the bench. Gonna say that this is one case were we are better off than we were last year.

Starter - Pat Williams, replaced by Remi Ayodele. Still undecided here. Phat Pat wasn't getting it done with any consistency the last two years and I just don't get the feeling Remi is going to either. Maybe after he and K-dubb play a bit more together it will come around.

Backups - Jimmy Kennedy, Jayme Mitchell, replaced by Christian Ballard. I think Ballard has done a heck of alot better job than these two did.

Starter - Ben Leber, replaced by Erin Henderson. Another bench promotion that I think has made us better. Erin isn't giving us the "Jazz" types of plays yet, but he sure has been around the ball alot when he is on the field. I suspect we will start to hear his name called more and more as the season goes on.

Backups - Heath Farewell, replaced by Larry Dean, Xavier Adibi. Other than the return by Hester last week, the coverage units have been stellar. I don't see this as a hole.

Backups - Lito Sheppard, Frank Walker, Replaced by Brandon Burton. Dont' see this as an issue. Of course having our starters back on the field in Cook and Griff help.

Starter - Madieu Williams, replaced by Jamarca Sanford. Promotion from the bench (Johnson rotates in). I see this as an improvement.

So, after looking at it like that, who, what, were are the big wholes that everyone seems to think we have?

If we have any issues that need to be fixed, I'm of a mind its at the coaching level cause it appears to me that the Chiller got this team pretty damn close to going all the way, now that he's gone, one would think another coach could as well.

Someone help me. Show me were the holes are with respect to talent on the field.
    Sure, if you compare to 2010 the roster doesn't seem to be significantly weaker. We sucked in 2010.The head coach lost his job in season we were so bad. Compare it to 2009 and the dropoff is significant.
    2009 Farve vs DNabb, no comparison. 2010 Farve, closer, but the noodle was still better.
    2009 Rice vs Jenkins, no comparison. 2010 Rice, Jenkins is better.
    The trio of 2009 Hutchinson, Hicks, Herrera at guard was better than what we have now.
    I am glad McKinnie is gone, but Johnson is a downgrade.
    AD and Chester were a pretty good combo. Chester gave us more flexibility.
    2009 Williams wall was still decent. 2010 Pat was old AND hurt. not a good combo.
    We have improved in some areas, LDE, defensive backfield,special teams, but the huge dropoff from2009 to 2011in QB/receiver play and Chesters ability to pick up the blitz and catch out of the backfield has cost us immensly on offense.
    Couple that with even worse coaching than we had and you have a recipe for disaster.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I love these discussions....... Good topic my friend.

Well, then there is your change.

If you are comparing last year to this year they are not as separated as they would have been in 2009 but then again the difference is McChunky sucked but was perfectly healthy while Brett was a walking ER through the season. But anyway the team last year sucked too so I guess not much has changed in that regard.

Yep. I would have rather kept TJ than get McNabb but better yet would have been to let TJ go and never,ever look at bringing in Mc. But it is too late for that one.
    I am optimistic that Ponder will be better than TJ will and we will soon get to stop talking about him.

Should have Sasser in there.

I have high hopes for that kid.

No new news here. Could have gotten any FB production out of Sasser and used the money on an OL or CB.

Compared to last year it is a step up because he is at least playing. Nothing special but serviceable.

If Moss was here and if Chilly had been fired right away instead of waiting Moss would have made Mc, Ponder and every other player on the offense better. Not what he used to be but still heads and shoulders better than anything we have right now or will have for some time.

Calling BS on that one. Johnson is actually worse than if we would have kept Ryan Cook and McKinney is nearly in pro bowl form with the Ravens. His coach is ecstatic with having him on the team.If we still had Birk and Mac we may have 4-5 wins right now.

Swing and a miss you mean. The OL is terrible. It had been bad for years but has reached an all time low right now. Elite teams dominate them.

Yep.

The Dline is the deepest unit on the team. We have young guys who are stepping up and getting better every day. And in this case they improved by trimming a little fat off of the bone.

Agreed. Makes the unit much better than it has been.

Possibly a bit better with Erin replacing Leber but the LB's are still too slow for the T2 defense and get us in all kinds of trouble in the passing defense as well as run defense.The lack of speed makes the holes in the zones way too big.

ST looks better but still leaves much to be desired. An improvement though.

Too slow. Not physical enough.

Just traded one turd for another turd. They may look different laying in the pile but they all stink.

I'll decide- He is too slow and not physical enough.

QB- we will see if Ponder solves that one.
    OL- That is a few year fix at a minimum.
    WR- Did nothing to take pressure off of the running game.
    LB- Too slow as a unit and not exactly the greatest tackling group in the division.
    CB- Too slow and not physical enough. Cook has been a pleasant surprise but Winny is older, slower and getting beat up and Griff lost a step or 2 and can no longer be counted on to do his job. Too slow for the T2.
    S- A complete disaster. No speed, not physical at all and penalty prone.

And a bunch that would not get on many rosters.

.....and several that would push most starters
    .In the CFL

Yep, the coaching is not that good either and that goes all the way up the chain.

You can lead a horse to water..........

How in the heck did you miss the two most glaring and obvious ones?

The Chilli and the KAO!
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post

OL- That is a few year fix at a minimum.
    A few years? They've been trying to fix the OL since the departure of David Dixon after the 2004 season.

How many more years do they need?

Of todays OL starters, who would you keep & not replace?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    A few years? They've been trying to fix the OL since the departure of David Dixon after the 2004 season.

How many more years do they need?

Of todays OL starters, who would you keep & not replace?
    I contend that they haven't been trying to fix the line. IMHO they have been content with the line and haven't had it as a priority. My time frame assumes they have a sudden change in that belief.

I would like to see them all replaced . Load holt may be worth keeping but otherwise they all can go

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Marr my friend...

I have to disagree with you on several points:

Johnson better than McKinnie? Come on!
    Jenkins vs. Rice? Give me a healthy Rice any day!
    Ballard vs Jayme Mitchell? Mitchell didn't even play for the Vikes in 2010! Plus, has Ballard done ANYTHING in a real game yet?
    Even with 'tude, I'll still take Randy Moss over any Vikes WR other than PH.

At any rate, I refuse to agree with those that think this team has no talent. But you can argue that while the OL isn't necessarily worse in 11 than 10, it still basically was/is an underperforming unit. I think our secondary is no better than average, and I think pass coverage by the LBs leaves a ton to be desired. There are a bunch of holes on this team that prevent it from being elite, but do not prevent it from being competitive.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I contend that they haven't been trying to fix the line. IMHO they have been content with the line and haven't had it as a priority. My time frame assumes they have a sudden change in that belief.

I would like to see them all replaced . Load holt may be worth keeping but otherwise they all can go
    It was Childress' priority in 2006, however he never made good on that promise. One of the first things he said after being hired was "It all starts up front" & he vowed to start there to fix the issues. It never came to fruition.

I don't even think I'd keep Loadholt. He's still getting beat & gets flagged with penalties far to often.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Sure, if you compare to 2010 the roster doesn't seem to be significantly weaker. We sucked in 2010.The head coach lost his job in season we were so bad. Compare it to 2009 and the dropoff is significant.
    2009 Farve vs DNabb, no comparison. 2010 Farve, closer, but the noodle was still better.
    Not buying it. The Noodle was only better in 2009 because of Rice and Harvin. Without them he sucked in 2009.

2009 Rice vs Jenkins, no comparison. 2010 Rice, Jenkins is better.
    I will give you this one, as I did above, however, I still am undecided, mostly because of the scheme change.

The trio of 2009 Hutchinson, Hicks, Herrera at guard was better than what we have now.
    I am glad McKinnie is gone, but Johnson is a downgrade.
    How can the same 3 be worse? Are you saying Hutch is slipping? He sure had two big gaffs last week. One resulted in a Saftey the other almost got Dnabb killed, but I don't think I would go so far as to say the 3 of them are worse this year than in 2009.

AD and Chester were a pretty good combo. Chester gave us more flexibility.
    I think you should revisit the numbers that Chester put up vs the numbers his replacement put up.

2009 Williams wall was still decent. 2010 Pat was old AND hurt. not a good combo.
    Phat Pat hasn't been getting it done since 2008 my friend. Check the stats, his play from 2007 (60ish tackles or so) 2008, 2009 and 2010 (40ish/30ish or so) are almost the same.

We have improved in some areas, LDE, defensive backfield,special teams, but the huge dropoff from2009 to 2011in QB/receiver play and Chesters ability to pick up the blitz and catch out of the backfield has cost us immensly on offense.
    Couple that with even worse coaching than we had and you have a recipe for disaster.
    Chester picking up the blitz really doesn't play. Those reps CT had, were he picked up the blitz have been, for the most part sucked up by AD. I would say that he isn't quite as good as CT was at it, but he doesn't suck at it either.

I think, after reading your input, I was right. It isn't about the talent. That is still there. Its all about the coaches and 2 positions.......

QB and DT.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    They could pretty much fix the line next off season but fans would probably complain about it.

Draft Jonathan Martin/Riley Reiff and Mike Brewster/Peter Konz with our first two picks then go after Carl Nicks in free agency. Offensive line fixed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast