Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Who Are The Most Improved Players Thus Far?

Quote Originally Posted by "Traveling_Vike" #1080721
    Scout is not a 'bot. He has made an occasional comment or response in other threads, although not very often.

I'd prefer to see more interaction from him, but at least he does ask good, thought-provoking questions.

I would hope that, as a journalist, he credits his sources. If so, I have no problem with his questions and will continue to answer them as fully and honestly as I can.

If that is the case, then I owe an apology, and offer it. Sorry, Scout200.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1080686
    That's a good question. Like Marrdro said, Greenway is really doing what he's always been doing. He could have made the Pro Bowl two years ago when he had the third most tackles by an outside linebacker. Now he has the the most.

Adrian Peterson's only "real" improvement is the ball security (still zero fumbles on the season).

On offense, I think my vote has to go to Percy Harvin. I can't really explain why because he's doing the same thing he did last season (statistically speaking, Harvin is having a year very similar to his rookie season). He just seems like he has taken more responsibility on his shoulder this season after Sidney Rice became injured. Plus, he didn't have the infamous "southmore slump".

Going into the season, I hoped that the most improved player would be some of the young player in the secondary like Asher Allen or Tyrell Johnson. I can't really say that they has improved a lot, but I really like how the starting safety Husain Abdullah has played in two of his last three games. He looks very promising as he makes good reads on both run and pass plays, and has good instincts. He could very well be this year's sleeper on the Vikings.

In a season where we've seen many Vikings players take a step back, the most improved player is probably Husain "Insane" Abdullah as of week 10.

Last year, Abdullah was a no-name backup behind not only one, but two young safeties in Tyrell Johnson (2nd round draft pick) and Jamarca Sanford (looked promising last year when he shared duties with Tyrell). He earned the starting job in training camp and is now to the better half of Vikings' safety duo.
    How could have I forgot about him.......

Truth of the matter is, I really believe that other than the LB'rs, the secondary has come to play each and every week.

Maybe this guy is the reason why.

Excellent post my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1080687
    What does this guy do with the information after he asks his questions?

He certainly does not contribute in any way to the site.
    So you think that a good question that stimulates a good discussion doesn't add anything to the site?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Traveling_Vike" #1080721
    Scout is not a 'bot. He has made an occasional comment or response in other threads, although not very often.

I'd prefer to see more interaction from him, but at least he does ask good, thought-provoking questions.

I would hope that, as a journalist, he credits his sources. If so, I have no problem with his questions and will continue to answer them as fully and honestly as I can.
    Who cares even if he is. Anything that gets us away from the mind numbing arguements all the time has to be a plus IMHO.

I love the question and so far, almost everyone has brought something good to the discussion.

Again, who the hell cares what he does with the info......

Scout200 is offline Training Camp

I'd have to say Greenway, for taking the next big step towards all pro. and Peterson, because of the lack of fumbles.
    None

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1080686
    Going into the season, I hoped that the most improved player would be some of the young player in the secondary like Asher Allen or Tyrell Johnson. I can't really say that they has improved a lot, but I really like how the starting safety Husain Abdullah has played in two of his last three games. He looks very promising as he makes good reads on both run and pass plays, and has good instincts. He could very well be this year's sleeper on the Vikings.

In a season where we've seen many Vikings players take a step back, the most improved player is probably Husain "Insane" Abdullah as of week 10.

Last year, Abdullah was a no-name backup behind not only one, but two young safeties in Tyrell Johnson (2nd round draft pick) and Jamarca Sanford (looked promising last year when he shared duties with Tyrell). He earned the starting job in training camp and is now to the better half of Vikings' safety duo.
    Abdullah has been decent. He's messed up a few times, but made some plays. Last game I remember the Bills opening a huge hole that Spiller burst through and I thought he was gone but Abdullah stepped up and made an open-field tackle on him. It looked almost exactly like the situation Tyrell Johnson was in like three times against the Ravens last year only Tyrell missed by three yards every time.

Winfield is playing better this season. Nobody is throwing the ball his way.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I rest my case, Husain "Insane" Abdullah is without a doubt the most improved player on the Minnesota Vikings in 2010.

Abdullah's story:

2008: A no-name undrafted rookie used solely as depth and on special teams. Younger brother of Arizona Cardinals' safety Hamza Abdullah. Had only 20 tackles.

2009: Still a no-name backup and special teams player. Had 18 tackles and one interception. I'm going to be honest here and say that I didn't care if we cut him at this point. He was a good special team player, but that was it. I think I even said it one of my old posts. I'm glad I was wrong this time. :laugh:

2010: Went from being behind two young safeties on the depth chart (one of them being a former second round pick), to starter, to the best safeties on the roster with the most passes intercepted AND deflected. Had 66 tackles, 3 INTs and 7 deflections (still one game to go).

My Opinion:

Abdullah is the Vikings' best cover safety (perhaps the only safety on the roster who understands the Tampa 2) and tied for the best run stopping safety with Jamarca Sanford.

In 2011, my hopes are that Abdullah starts at free safety and Jamarca Sanford starts at strong safety. That guy can bring the wood.

Oh... and trade Tyrell Johnson and Madieu Williams!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1086412
    I rest my case, Husain "Insane" Abdullah is without a doubt the most improved player on the Minnesota Vikings in 2010.

Abdullah's story:

2008: A no-name undrafted rookie used solely as depth and on special teams. Younger brother of Arizona Cardinals' safety Hamza Abdullah. Had only 20 tackles.

2009: Still a no-name backup and special teams player. Had 18 tackles and one interception. I'm going to be honest here and say that I didn't care if we cut him at this point. He was a good special team player, but that was it. I think I even said it one of my old posts. I'm glad I was wrong this time. :laugh:

2010: Went from being behind two young safeties on the depth chart (one of them being a former second round pick), to starter, to the best safeties on the roster with the most passes intercepted AND deflected. Had 66 tackles, 3 INTs and 7 deflections (still one game to go).

My Opinion:

Abdullah is the Vikings' best cover safety (perhaps the only safety on the roster who understands the Tampa 2) and tied for the best run stopping safety with Jamarca Sanford.

In 2011, my hopes are that Abdullah starts at free safety and Jamarca Sanford starts at strong safety. That guy can bring the wood.

There's no trade value in either.

And Marrdro is the only one on the site that thinks the defensive secondary played well; especially the safties.

I'll take Peterson as the most improved player of the year.

He has moved from lousey blocker and suspect pass catcher to a guy who can do everything an NFL back is asked to do.

Unless he gets injured, he is about to produce his hall of fame years.

I can't waut to watch.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1086442
    Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1086412

Abdullah's story:

My Opinion:

There's no trade value in either.

And Marrdro is the only one on the site that thinks the defensive secondary played well; especially the safties.

I'll take Peterson as the most improved player of the year.

He has moved from lousey blocker and suspect pass catcher to a guy who can do everything an NFL back is asked to do.

Unless he gets injured, he is about to produce his hall of fame years.

I can't waut to watch.
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you on a number of points.

1. I think there is some trade value in either Tyrell Johnson or Madieu Williams. Tyrell is still a very young safety who was drafted in the second round and was ranked first or second on many teams' draft boards. Madieu, although most likely not as valued as Tyrell, has put on some nice numbers in his earlier seasons in the league.

On top of that, I thinkg Madieu and Tyrell are more valued by other teams than Husain Abdullah (undrafted) and Jamarca Sanford (barely drafted).

2. I agree that Adrian Peterson has improved, but to call him the most improved player is a little over the top, don't you think?

Firstly, Adrian has arguably been the best half back in the league since his rookie year. So he improved from number one... to number one? Husain Abdullah on the other hand improved from undrafted third stringer to the best safety on the team.

Secondly, it's not like Adrian suddenly blocks as Marion Barber and catches like Peyton Hillis. Adrian has improved from, in your own words: "lousey blocker and suspect pass catcher" to what I would classify as a mediocre blocker and decent pass catcher. By the way, You didn't even mention his obviously biggest improvement: ball security. :huh:

Listen, I love Adrian (see my profile picture), but I think too little people are giving Abdullah credits when credit is due. That's all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12