12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Who does what on the Vikings?

In the long time I've browsed this site and the short time I've been a member, I noticed something. Anytime someone brings up Chilly and the job he's done with the vikings, there seems to be general confusion about what his role has been outside of the obvious.

Some people say that he's put together an excellent team, some people say that Spielman is in charge of bringing in players.

Some people say that he does great with drafts (except when trading up in the 2nd round ), others say that its our FO that mainly deals with that.

Some people say that he can't develop a qb for crap or run an offense for crap, others say thats Rogers and Bevell do that.

So all I'm wondering is... who the hell does what on the vikings?

Who drafts for us, is it our FO or Chilly or a mixture of the two. What exactly does the HC do and what is he in charge of.

Maybe I'm the only one thats confused and everyone else really agrees, but if for nothing else, this will help me to understand the business side of football a little better.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Who does what on the Vikings?

Funny you should ask. Good thread already going on this, atleast with respect to the draft.

How the Vikings Draft

In short though, the Vikings organization is a bit of a novelty when it comes to how its structured. Unlike the typical GM/HC structure were the GM calls all the shots with respect to player personnel and the HC and his staff coach them up, the Vikes employ a "Triad" of authority which doesn't have a GM position.

This is a bit hard to understand, however, think of it as 3 equal votes when it comes to player personnel decisions, split amongst Rick Spielman (VP of Player Personnel), Brad Childress (Head Coach), and Rob Bryzcheapski (Capologist).

The last article I posted talks abit about how the staff works through the player selection process and how the draft works.

With respect to your question about player development. Yes, he, as the HC is responsible for player development, but if one were to look at some of the books out there related to HC's and how they run things, one would see that they don't run around developing players. They rely on thier coaching staffs to do that stuff.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Funny you should ask. Good thread already going on this, atleast with respect to the draft.

How the Vikings Draft

In short though, the Vikings organization is a bit of a novelty when it comes to how its structured. Unlike the typical GM/HC structure were the GM calls all the shots with respect to player personnel and the HC and his staff coach them up, the Vikes employ a "Triad" of authority which doesn't have a GM position.

This is a bit hard to understand, however, think of it as 3 equal votes when it comes to player personnel decisions, split amongst Rick Spielman (VP of Player Personnel), Brad Childress (Head Coach), and Rob Bryzcheapski (Capologist).

The last article I posted talks abit about how the staff works through the player selection process and how the draft works.

With respect to your question about player development. Yes, he, as the HC is responsible for player development, but if one were to look at some of the books out there related to HC's and how they run things, one would see that they don't run around developing players. They rely on thier coaching staffs to do that stuff.
    The SHORT answer is that Chiller is only responsible for things that fail, and anything that succeeds is the responsibility of someone else...simple enough?

And, for the sake of completeness, all things that fail also have a direct line to Mark Wilf. So, we get to blame Chiller AND Mark Wilf for things that go wrong.

We also have the luxury of being able to throw other coaches (Bienemy is a popular one) under the bus, as well as certain less talented/productive players (Tarvaris Jackson).

When seeking to reward someone for an accomplishment, keep in mind that only superstars or lesser known players without tarnish are eligible for accolades. For example, you can praise Adrian Peterson (superstar) or Jasper Brinkley (Untarnished player).

DO NOT try to praise tainted players or any coach other than the Defensive Coordinator.

With those rules in mind, happy posting.

Caine

Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

How the Vikings Draft

The SHORT answer is that Chiller is only responsible for things that fail, and anything that succeeds is the responsibility of someone else...simple enough?

And, for the sake of completeness, all things that fail also have a direct line to Mark Wilf. So, we get to blame Chiller AND Mark Wilf for things that go wrong.

We also have the luxury of being able to throw other coaches (Bienemy is a popular one) under the bus, as well as certain less talented/productive players (Tarvaris Jackson).

When seeking to reward someone for an accomplishment, keep in mind that only superstars or lesser known players without tarnish are eligible for accolades. For example, you can praise Adrian Peterson (superstar) or Jasper Brinkley (Untarnished player).

DO NOT try to praise tainted players or any coach other than the Defensive Coordinator.

Caine
    Nice summation, counselor. :laugh:

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

How the Vikings Draft

Caine
    that's pretty much bang on. nice post.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

How the Vikings Draft

Caine
    that's pretty much bang on. nice post.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

I thought this would be an amusing thread when I opened it, I wasn't disappointed.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:

How the Vikings Draft

I disagree about RobB. I doubt he has any say in deciding whether or not to pursue a player, whether via the draft or FA. His job is to make the money work once the Triangle of Authority (substitute Scott Studwell for RobB) decides that they want a guy.

I also believe that it's a Pentagon of Power, not a Triangle of Authority. Add Zygi and RobB back in to get the 5 guys who run the team.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Childress is in charge of shuttling new players from the airport to Winter Park. Rick Spielman washes and waxes the SUV used to schuttle new players and Rob Bryzcheapski buys the wax and gas for the SUV as well any snacks and beverages for the ride. Mark Wilf programs the ipod playlist used in the SUV. Other than that the Vikings us mock drafts and forum discussions to make the draft board after they drafted Cook and Jackson.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

How the Vikings Draft

I disagree about RobB. I doubt he has any say in deciding whether or not to pursue a player, whether via the draft or FA. His job is to make the money work once the Triangle of Authority (substitute Scott Studwell for RobB) decides that they want a guy.

I also believe that it's a Pentagon of Power, not a Triangle of Authority. Add Zygi and RobB back in to get the 5 guys who run the team.

=Z=
    You see, that is how confusion starts here on PPO, with inputs like that. Someone might just think your serious.

Quick question, if the head of the Rookie Scouting department is part of the triangle, how does Patton fit in as he is the head of the Pro scouting department.

Truth of the matter is, Bryzcheapski is one third of the triad and has a huge role in what players they go after. If it isn't feasible financially, they don't do it.

Quick scenario to explain.......

End of season brief from HC to FO pukes.....

Chiller: In short, we need a upgrade/help at CB, DT and we would like to see if we can find a QB.

Ricky Boy: OK Chiller. Lets look at some tape that the scouts have for you. One is a FA Vet George found that might be a good option at CB, the other 3 are CB's we could get in the draft.

Bryzcheapski (Chimes in): We can't afford the Vet CB this year, gonna have to go via the draft.

Ricky Boy: Roger that you cheap bastard. Hey Scott, lets look at the 3 your scouts found.

Long story short, the staff will approach filling holes via 3 processes, 1) Draft, 2) FA Market, and 3) Resigning a vet that is already on the roster.

Ole Bryzcheapski has a huge role as one leg of the triad in that regard, all Studwell and Patton do are go out and find the types of players that can fill that void/fix that hole.

Thanks for your input though.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg