Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whizzinator ?

Re: Whizzinator ?

All I could do was laugh when I read AA 'brainwashing'. Sarcasm went under the radar I guess... the program is a must for those who seek a path to better themselves and shouldn't be taken lightly.

I'm just glad JA had made a change in his life and I wish him the best. With a new team and a future with so much more potential, there should be no looking back.

BradTheMan14 is offline Starter

him and moe williams were the shit. especially on madden..big moe would be truckin fools...they dont want no moe
    Q: At your age, can you handle a full season?
    A: I m 37, number one. I took my family to Perkins a couple of days ago, and they didn t hand me a senior citizens discount card, so I feel pretty good.
    (Brad Johnson at an interview before the start of the season)

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I just want the Vikings to win, but I also want J.Allen to be safe and healthy, and for no one to get hurt. If he does party, I hope he calls a cab, or a bus or van !

At least the program helps, albeit a small percentage. Quitting may not be the hardest part, but staying on that path can be. And anything that helps, having others around that can talk you down, and keep you from having lapses, is a good thing, no matter who started it. The program itself isn't foolproof, a lifestyle change is sometimes necessary, which can be really difficult.

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I just want the Vikings to win, but I also want J.Allen to be safe and healthy, and for no one to get hurt. If he does party, I hope he calls a cab, or a bus or van !
    Hell he could call me i would come pick him up!

maybe he just needs to learn to pace himself...

That would be thinking rationally, something that tends to go out the window when drinking is involved.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Everyone who studies this issue in depth knows the reality. A book I would highly suggest is called "The Red Wine Diet", by Prof. Roger Corder. Corder is a British professor I think of microbiology and has written a book about the hard science behind this issue. It is very, very interesting and lists all the studies done in Europe and all over that back up what I have written.

Regarding AA, it is now widely known that only 5 % of people who enter their program stay and are "cured". Even AA now admits this ! AA was started by people in the "Oxford Movement", which was a religious temperance movement (the founder of the Oxford movement also had some nice things to say about Hitler and the Nazis !). If you read the real scientific literature, you can find out that the vast majority of people who overcome a drug or alcohol problem do it on their own, without a 12-step program.

Of course, you have to read the real literature on this, not listen to what our government or the NIH or AA themselves say.

I mean, think about it, one of the pre-requisites that AA lays down before you attend one of their meetings (as I understand it), is that you give up drinking. But if you can give up drinking like that, you don't need AA ! And they don't see the contradiction there !

1. No one is ever cured of alcoholism. They are always an alcoholic & are always in recovery.

2. Bill Wilson & Dr. Bob started AA, They both were members of the Oxford movement, but it wasn't the movement itself that started it. Wilson sought help from the movement to gain sobriety, but they were no help. He ended up helping himself through spirituality & then he helped Dr. Bob gain sobriety the same way. They then took their methodology to the Oxford Movement to help others recover.

3. I think your number of 5% is a little low, but it is fact that not all who enter it get sober the first time. For one they either don't grasp the concept of it, don't follow the program or are court ordered to be there & never had any intentions of quiting in the first place.

4. AA does not have a requirement that you have to stop or quit drinking in order to attend meetings. That is down right laughable. The whole purpose of AA is to help people do that. Their only requirement is that you have a desire to quit.

5. I'd like to know where your info came from that the majority of the people who quit drinking have done it without the help of AA or another support group. In fact I'd say damn few alcoholics can do it without one & most alcoholics will tell you the same thing. Why? Because we all tried it that way on multiple occasions & failed. That is why we turn to AA. Some can & do, but it is the exception rather than the norm if you are an alcoholic. Some of the ones that do are called "dry drunks" because a lot or the reasons they drank for, as well as their bitterness & resentments they carry are still with them, whereas AA helps you rid yourself of them.

There are those too who leave the program & don't follow it any more because they thought they were cured. Many of them who leave return to drinking after a period of time. I persomally know of three who did just that after 20 years sobriety. 2 of them are dead as a result of their return to drinking. One from the health issues he encountered as a result of it, the other from suicide as he couldn't live with himself after putting himself back into the situation he was in 20 years earlier.

Keep in mind though that everyone who stops or quits drinking isn't necessarily an alcoholic. Non-alcoholics can & do quit drinking on their with very little help or support. For alcoholics it's not that easy or simple.

I'd recommend you attend what's called an "Open" Meeting of AA & listen to some of the people who will tell you their story. I spoke at one about 8 years ago & it was one of the hardrest things I ever did, but also was very rewarding.Open meetings are for the general public & the closed meetings are for alcoholics in recovery only.

Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but when people wrongly through AA into the dirt without much knowledge or background of it, I take it upon myself to voice my opinions & knowledge of it. Not from reading about it, but because I am a member & know first hand what it has not only done for me, but millions & millions of people.

As for Onterrio, he pissed his lifes chances away in favor of his addiction & those are years he cannot get back.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"StillPurple" wrote:
    maybe he just needs to learn to pace himself...
    If he's an alcoholic, he'll never be able to do that. It's the first drink that'll get you, not the last.

By that I mean after he drinks just one, he'll want another, then another & another after that. Abstinence is the only way. It took me years to learn that.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

You are now speaking for someone else. I believe you and your view, but if I were you, I would not assume you know about someone like him. Everyone is different, and everyone's path is different.

The "one drink, one drunk" mantra is something I know that the AA people say, but that is just their view.

My hope is that Allen learns to moderate his drinking, like millions of others have learned to do. Alcohol is part of society and has been for the last 6,000 years. If you don't abuse it, it is a "good dear friend", as Shakespeare wrote.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast