singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Whitaker says he didn't give Bears a clue on winning TD

[size=13pt]Whitaker says he didn't give Bears a clue on winning TD[/size]

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: September 30, 2006 – 12:42 AM

Even one of the Vikings' more affable and talkative players knows better than to tell an opponent what coverage he is going to play.
    So nickel back Ronyell Whitaker laughed the other day when informed that Chicago receiver Rashied Davis claimed that Whitaker did precisely that, just before Davis' game-winning 24-yard touchdown reception in the Bears' 19-16 victory.

"That's a little bit of an exaggeration," Whitaker said. "I never told him anything. He is a solid player, but I don't think he is that smart. He was talking like he's Peyton Manning, figuring out defenses. He just ran his route into my leverage. I was on the outside, and he got up and ran an inside route."

After the game, Davis said Whitaker "made the mistake and told me he was playing me outside for the corner route."

Whitaker suggested that Davis guessed he would be defending the outside route because that's the coverage the Vikings played for most of the game.

"It was a good call," Whitaker said. "It wasn't like he drew up that route because he knew what coverage I was going to run. He probably knew how hard I was playing outside all game. But I was playing the defense. If our scheme says play outside, I play outside."

Leber practices

Linebacker Ben Leber practiced Friday for the first time this week, resuming his role as the strong-side linebacker with the first-team defense. Leber said the knee felt good enough to play on "if I had to play today," but he seemed less than enthralled with a brace he tested during practice.

Coach Brad Childress said the Vikings want to see how Leber's sprained left knee reacts to the exertion before making a determination on his status. If Leber cannot play, he will be replaced by Dontarrious Thomas.

Quick departure

The Bills' linebacker coach is Matt Sheldon, a former Gophers defensive back (1987-91) who briefly was a member of the Vikings staff this year. Childress hired Sheldon as a defensive assistant Jan. 13, but Sheldon left Feb. 21 when Bills coach Dick Jauron offered him a position to coach.

"I couldn't hold him back," Childress said then. "That's the kind of relationship I want to have with my coaches. I had the reins to say, 'No, Matt, you can't go coach the linebackers there. You just signed a contract here and you're making good money.' But I don't know if really, in the long run, that gets you anywhere."

Etc.

• Nose tackle Pat Williams (ankle) was upgraded to probable on the injury report, while quarterback Tarvaris Jackson (knee) was declared out. If the Vikings want a third quarterback for Sunday's game, they will have to promote Drew Henson from the practice squad.

• Running back Chester Taylor (ankle) took part in all of practice and remains probable.

• Childress seemed satisfied with the way the team bounced back this week in practice from its first loss. "I feel like they've gone about their business," Childress said. "Every day can't be game day. But yet they've gone through and knocked out what they needed to knock out every day as they prepare."

Kevin Seifert • [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Whitaker says he didn't give Bears a clue on winning TD

Nice article... Good to see the boys with doubts about playing will most likely be in the game.. We for sure need Phat Pat in the game if we are going to stop the run in Buffalo.. Chester Taylor seems to be coming around every game, and one of these weeks he is going to have a breakout game...

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

i think if phat pat is good enough he will be in this game being it is with his former team and all, would love to see little willie run right into him, that would be a kodak moment...we win this one and then we play the lifeless lions for a win and then have our bye week, good timing to get our players rested and healed from the minor injuries...
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

haha, whitaker talkin a lil trrash =) although im sure he's right, davis probably just wanted more attention & praise about it, he's a bear, he's not used to being in the spotlight

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

He should've went along with it, it does not make him look as bad for totally blowing the play.

that is really dumb anyways..there is no way a player on any team is going to tell the opposing player exactly what he is going to do...
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

Prophet Guest

"vikingbill50" wrote:
    that is really dumb anyways..there is no way a player on any team is going to tell the opposing player exactly what he is going to do...
    I've seen a coach do that before.

really..damn that is dumb
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

KJ
    KJ is offline Pro-Bowler

"Prophet" wrote:
    "vikingbill50" wrote:
    I've seen a coach do that before.
    Mike Tice?