Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Whiner Kelly has new home

I really liked Wong and Rudd... but you're right muchluv.... I loved Jerry Ball... what ever happened to that guy, did he go else where or did he retire?

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Ball retired. He was pretty much at the end of his career when he came to the Vikings.

The Vikings chose not to offer Rudd a contract when he became eligible for free agency. The Vikings were already in cap hell, and were having to let a lot of good players go to other teams simply because they could not afford to pay "market price" for them. Rudd, while seemingly possessing loads of physical talent and a knack for being around the ball, just never seemed to put it all together to truly be an "impact" player.

I actually had no problems with Wong, but again, I think the Vikings chose not to re-sign him because his value on the free agent market exceeded what they thought his performance warranted. He isn't/wasn't a bad player, but just wasn't an impact player. There's a difference betwen stuffing a runner in the gap, and tackling him after he's come through the hole and gained 5 yards, or breaking up a pass play vs tackling the receiver after they've gotten a first down. Let's face it, the Vikings defense largely sucked, and while not necessarily Wong's (or Rudd's) fault, why pay someone big bucks that isn't going to elevate your defense above the "suck" level.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

"sitandbehitski" wrote:
    Rudd is a little ovverated, but Wong's a little underrated, he would provide awesome depth at Sam.
    True, but Wong is and deserves to be a starter. There's no reason a young player like him would stick around Minnesota to be "depth". If he would have re-signed for "depth" money, I'm sure the Vikings would have kept him. I'm pretty sure he has been the Texans leading tackler for the two seasons he has played there.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

"sitandbehitski" wrote:
    Rudd is a little ovverated, but Wong's a little underrated, he would provide awesome depth at Sam.
    True, but Wong is and deserves to be a starter. There's no reason a young player like him would stick around Minnesota to be "depth". If he would have re-signed for "depth" money, I'm sure the Vikings would have kept him.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

Sorry

The Texans upgraded their backup secondary when they acquired Kelly.

The Texans Defense is far away better than the Vikes.

The Vikings second best defender (Williams is the Best) E.J. Henderson may be in prison and unavailable to play.

Sorry, I foget the vikes got Antoine @CB that should help too.

The Vikings are looking at 8-8 this year. Check your schedule there are 8 losses guaranteed this year folks. Detroit will be breathing down your necks all year for the silver metal but, The Green Bay Packers will again be NFC North Champions.

Best regards,
    TEXPACK
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Whiner Kelly has new home

"bigdogbovy" wrote:
    Eric Kelly got picked up by the sorry Texans

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...C-DT9705204233

He will battle for the #3 spot which is the spot he lost with us.

Getting back to what this thread was originally about, kelly actually got what he wanted. Kelly was actually gonna be fighting for our #4 CB spot, and not our #3 spot. #1 winfield, #2 Brian williams, #3 kenny irvin, and #4 rushen jones. He was fighting a loosing battle, with rushen jones, for that #4 CB spot. So I guess he did move up the depth chart by going to a different team. What I don't understand is, why would a team want a guy who didn't want to fight and earn a spot on our team? Why would you want a guy who gets mad and gives up if a guy is moved ahead of him, just for one damn practice? Sounds like a cancer to a team to me.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Sorry

[quote="TEXPACK"]The Texans upgraded their backup secondary when they acquired Kelly.

The Texans Defense is far away better than the Vikes.

The Vikings second best defender (Williams is the Best) E.J. Henderson may be in prison and unavailable to play.

Sorry, I foget the vikes got Antoine @CB that should help too.

The Vikings are looking at 8-8 this year. Check your schedule there are 8 losses guaranteed this year folks. Detroit will be breathing down your necks all year for the silver metal but, The Green Bay Packers will again be NFC North Champions.

Sorry but this guys credability went out the door when he started comparing a top team like the vikes, to the texans. Keep dreamin buddy, while the season hasn't started yet, because once it starts, you will look pretty foolish with your thoughts on the vikes.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

thats alright, as soon as the vikings prove him wrong this year he will never be heard from again

Purple D is offline Starter

I think that the reason the vikings didn't keep Rudd, is because although he was always physical and around the ball, he had problems wrapping up and tackling alot and alot of times . He always put a good hit on opponents but alot of times never tackled them because he wasn't wrapping them up and taking them down. :scratch:
    Four score and seven years ago, Brad Childress has brought upon this team, a west coast offense, conceived in San Francisco, and Dedicated to be a Kick jiggly butt offence. We are now engaged in an NFL season, testing weather that offense can get going or that our defense can long endure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123