Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Where have the big plays gone?!

Alright guys....every week i watch the Vikings and for the past several weeks I've been screaming at the televison hoping Scott Linehan will hear me whereever he is....I yell repeatedly "Stretch the field!" :evil: I've noticed over the past several weeks, the Vikings haven't so much as chucked it deep...just once! In my opinion you need to heave one every once in a while to keep the defense on their toes. So i did some detective work, and I found that in the last 10 weeks in which the Vikes are 3-7, they have had just 22 plays over 20 yards, and 9 of those have come in their wins against Jacksonville and Detroit. So I ask you Viking nation....where have the big plays gone? And if you give me that "they're playing cover 2" crap, thats bull. If they're playing cover 2 and they only have 7 guys up in the box and 2 safeties back, then we need to commit to the run and jam it down someones throat....any thoughts?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Welcome to the board! Bottom line, we need big plays! Throwing deep may cause more picks, but we need to stretch the field. It is our strength!

dude, you couldnt have had a better first post. I completely agree and I get so pissed of when the Vikes dont even try to go deep. What are defenses scared of when they play the Vikings? The 5 yard dumps? The draw play? No, they fear the long ball and Randy Moss. Throw an interception, who cares..at least try. And with Moss out there, Culpepper doesnt have to be perfect. Look at that 60+ TD bomb he threw last week that was negated by Goldbergs hold. Take away the hold and you have an underthrown ball turned into a 60 yard TD against the number 2 defense in the NFL. Im hoping we let loose against the Pack this week because each of the times we have played them I have almost broken my TV because of the horrible play calls/Daunte not going deep when optional. Make them respect the long ball, stretch the field, and that will open up the run game. I hope I see some of this on Sunday please!! I miss the Vikes of old! Oh yeah, and throw in some blitzes on defense.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

When I went the Vikes game at the Linc in week 2, I was disgusted by how little they threw down the field! I kept yelling in the sea of Eagle fans, "What is this west coast offense shit?!!!! Throw the fuckin' ball!" not much has really changed since then cause i have noticed the vikes being way too cautious...or culp is way too cautious with the football.

anyway, I agree. good post. we have a less chance winning if we take out the element of long-ball suprise. and i am not talking about the four end-around play fakes Tice likes to use a game... they don't work anymore! dumbass!

Del Rio Guest

First off I'm not arguing BUT

What exactly do you consider a deep ball? Do you realize that the pass rush on pepper has been so stifling that it is a miracle he even gets the pass off!

I'm not a big fan of the coaches but this one falls on the players. There are recievers running deep routes all game long but they are not getting passed to. It's up to the O-line to give Pep time the reciever to get open and him to make the read.

Burleson had a nice deep ball thrown to him and he dropped it. I consider that a deep ball. I like seeing them as much as the next guy but in all reality the consistancy needs to come first. Because if you can't run the ball and convert those third downs the deep ball is desperation.

When the TV crew has shots of Randy jogging on pass plays, burleson dropping passess and robinson with his head up his you know what, meanwhile pep is under a large ammount of pressure I really fail to see how this is the coaching staffs fault.

But alas enough ranting got to get ready for a party Sunday after we pound the Pack into the ground.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

I'm with you on this Del Rio. I personally believe injuries to our OL is our single biggest problem this year, starting in game one with Rosenthall going down, then everything just snowballed. If our OL was healthy, and more consistent all year, we could probably add 3 to 7 points to every game. That would turn us from an 8-8 team to 11-5 or better.

Without a decent OL it's impossible to go deep.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Part of me thinks the same about the Oline, but the other part of me points a finger at Linehan and Culpepper. Linehan calls predictable plays and I think Culpepper is being too cautious with the ball - that is why he puts up such great stats but not many wins. I know, I know - our defense. But we havent had a good D ever since i started watching the Vikes and we have done way more with our Offense. Hopefully everyone will let loose on Sunday because it is do or die - but i think every game should be played that way.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

Del Rio Guest

Ultimately if our O-line plays really good confident ball Sunday I guarantee you all will see some deep passess.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

In agreement w/Del Rio, but not entirely

I agree that the pressure on Daunte has been horrible lately...but I'm not exactly saying the Vikings should throw a 40+ yard bomb every play. But on a 2nd or 3rd and 1, go max protect, run some play action and chuck it deep. Besides, theres no reason on a 3rd and 20 that they cant hurl one down the field....even if it gets picked chances are it would be as good as a punt (especially the way Bennett kicks). My point is they need to at least stretch it a couple times per game

eastcoastvikes is offline Starter

I was with you before last week. After attending the Redskins game I saw the Vikes take about 6 deep shots, 2 of which ended with Daunte on his back (Sacked while waiting for a wideout to break open) , two holding penalties (one canceling a great td catch by moss), one Nate drop and one Randy TD. The OLine as a lot of people are saying is not giving the offense a shot to throw the deep ball. I hope they get it turned around for this weekend though... SKOL Vikes!

Sig courtesy of josdin00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast