Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Where are the haters?

So, where are the haters that flooded the boards with dissent and devilish ideas?

Can't tell me you have nothing to say!!

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Re: Where are the haters?

I have something for them:

TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get rid of Daunte, my @$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

TheViking is offline Rookie

I'm glad to see Daunte get his "roll on" this week. I'm still not a big Tice fan and will be happy to see him go at the end of the year. I'm still in favor of bringing in a "offensive advisor" for the rest of the season. Hopefully this will help turn the season around and next week now becomes just as big of a game for us. Tice did what any coach in his postition would do. Make some changes run the ball more trival stuff, but the execution was better by the players this week.
    One cold January morning I will wake up and be able to say holy sh** they actually won!

Prophet Guest

I don't consider myself a hater, but I am not a fan of Tice if that is what you are referring to. I already gave him/the team accolades for the win. It was a beautiful game, especially the first half.

My opinion on Tice was not formed after the first two games of the season, nor will it be changed after beating the Saints. I give Tice some of the credit for coming out of their funk after the first few games, but I'm far from declaring him a good coach.

His record since taking over during the last game of 2001 is 24-27 during the regular season. If you look at the Vikings' illustrious carreer back to their beginnings the only coaches that have had losing records were Norm Van Brocklin during their first years in existence and Les Steckel's one-year-wonder. That is just looking at our proud history.

Sure, Tice inherited a team that had the defense virtually ignored for almost a decade, but the offense was one of the most powerful in the league. What has he done? He has done the same as the Jim Haslett-led Saints, making 0.500 seasons a norm.

Some people give him credit for building up the defense. I don't. Anyone with even a little bit of common sense would do the same thing. If you have a top-tier offense, and have for years, and you are not making it to the big dance...then what is the logical choice? Build up the defense, any coach would have done that.

My biggest gripe with Tice is that I truly believe he does not have the capability to pull off the close games when it is a coaching dual. When the Vikings are outclassed by another team or when the Vikings are outclassing another team it isn't as evident. The games that come down to the wire and require coaching decisions to be made in a matter of seconds are the games I'm most concerned about. I believe Tice cannot pull through with those types of games.

The Vikings are a proud franchise that is on a quest for winning the Super Bowl. We are not a team that is satisfied with making the playoffs or winning a playoff game...like the Saints. When you make it past the wildcard weekend games most of the teams that are left in the mix have solid teams and many times those games are won or lost based on the coaching. Does Tice have what it takes at that level? I say no.

Demand excellence. It appears that Zygi will be doing exactly that, and I commend him for that.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Here's one for ya Webby:

Last update: September 26, 2005 at 7:36 AM
    Patrick Reusse: Second-half sag wipes out any joy over beating sorry
    Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune
    September 26, 2005 PATR0926

Gulf Coasters looking to the New Orleans Saints for inspiration as they attempt to recover from this dastardly hurricane season are advised to consider other options.

Psychologists probably would tell you that wallowing in self-pity is the least-productive approach to dealing with immense hardship.

The Saints' hardship isn't all that immense, compared to their city's displaced masses. Yet, they moped into the Metrodome on Sunday with all the enthusiasm you would get from union mechanics receiving invitations to an appreciation dinner for Northwest CEO Doug Steenland.

Coach Jim Haslett spent three days whining about his team being made to play last Monday's scheduled home game in Giants Stadium. What this did was to offer the Saints an excuse to play as poorly Sunday against the Vikings as they had against the Giants six days earlier.

The Saints immediately seized this opportunity to feel sorry for themselves, with Aaron Stecker fumbling the opening kickoff.

Antoine Winfield recovered at the New Orleans 24. Daunte Culpepper jogged to the huddle, told his receivers to get downfield and then hit Travis Taylor on the right corner of the end zone for a touchdown.

It took the Vikings 116 minutes, 43 seconds to score an offensive touchdown in the season's first two weeks. It took them 13 seconds to score an offensive touchdown against Haslett's sulking Saints.

The lead was 24-0 with 5½ minutes left in the second quarter. The fact the Vikings then allowed these disinterested nomads, with inept quarterback Aaron Brooks, to get back in the game for a time in the fourth quarter was almost as embarrassing as the 29-point beating in Cincinnati.

Ultimately, Paul Edinger would kick three field goals in the final 6:17 and the Vikings would win 33-16. Anyone who looks at those 33 points, along with 420 yards, and assumes the troubles are over for this offense has been sniffing too much Purple glue.

The Saints have a decent defensive front, supported by lead-footed linebackers and a porous, injured secondary. Against this sorry collection, the Vikings offense was as futile in the second half as it was for eight quarters against Tampa Bay and Cincinnati.

Culpepper's bunch totaled 107 yards and six first downs in six second-half possessions, before Daunte knelt down to run out the clock. Only 54 of his 300 passing yards came in the second half.

What happened with the running game after the early jump against the Saints was even more unimpressive. Yes, Mewelde Moore had 101 yards in his first start of 2005, but 52 came on his first four carries. After that, he had 49 yards in 19 attempts -- a Vikingesque 2.6 yards per carry.

There was such a return of anti-Daunte sentiment after last week's abomination in Cincinnati that coach Mike Tice decided to take the cowardly approach before Sunday's game:

He had the defensive starters announced to the crowd, thus depriving the locals of their chance to boo Culpepper's introduction. Tice denied this, of course, claiming he wanted to fire up his defense for the third-down challenge offered by the Saints.

Tell us anything, Coach. We're all a bunch of gullible saps here in medialand.

The quarterback bought himself a renewed tolerance -- if not runaway approval -- with Sunday's effort. His 53-yard bomb to rookie Troy Williamson would have made Dan Marino envious for its accuracy.

"We have to get back to business tomorrow," Culpepper said. "We're going to Atlanta to play a really good football team."

Culpepper said last week that he would take off running or take a sack rather than make the careless throws that led to eight interceptions in the first two weeks. He went through with that, rushing eight times for 36 yards and being sacked seven times (once on a called quarterback draw).

"It may look real bad, but sometimes you've got to eat the ball, or pull it down and run," he said.

Culpepper took the extra hits despite aggravating a sore right knee that has been bothering him since early in the Tampa Bay opener.

"It got banged up a little bit early," he said. "I toughed it out. I have to make sure I take care of my body this week ... get a lot of treatment, and get ready for next week."

He's right about that. Next is that really good Atlanta team, with the really good defense.

The offense better build off Sunday's quick start -- not the second half -- or this is going to be the Cincy carnage revisited.

Now, I was encouraged that we played better and eliminated a bunch of the turnover problems. The one thing that got to me though was how we came out on offense firing, taking shots downfield and opening up the running game .... then went conservative again. Call it "Prevent Offense" ... only to almost prevent us from winning the game. That is the one irrating thing about the Vikes, they get a good lead but never go for the kill ... instead get ultra conservative.

Defense looked a lot better. I liked a lot of the corner blitzes cottrell called, but it's scary to know that when Brian Williams goes down and there is such a drop off in the secondary when it comes to the nickel and dime packages when R.Brown and K.Irvin step into play.

It's a step in the right direction compaired to the last two weeks. Nothing to do backflips over as of yet, if your goal is still the Super Bowl.

Blog Entries

"Prophet" wrote:

Some people give him credit for building up the defense. I don't. Anyone with even a little bit of common sense would do the same thing. If you have a top-tier offense, and have for years, and you are not making it to the big dance...then what is the logical choice? Build up the defense, any coach would have done that.

Denny didn't.

Anyway, this wasn't directed as much at the Tice haters because one game makes a coach not. It was more the people just tearing apart Daunte and some of the D boys.

Just amazing they aren't here still pressing their case.

Oh wait. :lol:

Prophet Guest

"webmaster" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Denny didn't.

Anyway, this wasn't directed as much at the Tice haters because one game makes a coach not. It was more the people just tearing apart Daunte and some of the D boys.

Just amazing they aren't here still pressing their case.

Oh wait. :lol:
    LOL, good point about Denny. That is his problem in AZ too though. I was referring to any person that took the reigns after Denny left.

Regarding the Daunte haters, they lost their point in the first sentence. I have yet to see a logical argument as to why he is horrible other than ranting about turnovers. How many times was he sacked yesterday? something like 6 times and he still pulled through strong. Anyone that follows football would put Daunte in the top tier of active QBs.

Blog Entries

"mnjamie" wrote:
    Here's one for ya Webby:

Crap, forgot to check the Official Hater column before posting. My bad. :lol: Thanks MNJ.

Not that he doesn't have a few decent points, but this whole article laden with almost open hostility to the team makes you wonder. Did a lineman eat one of his Ho-Hos one day? Poor Reussie.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"webmaster" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    Here's one for ya Webby:

Crap, forgot to check the Official Hater column before posting. My bad. :lol: Thanks MNJ.

Not that he doesn't have a few decent points, but this whole article laden with almost open hostility to the team makes you wonder. Did a lineman eat one of his Ho-Hos one day? Poor Reussie.

I agree Webby. He is the "original" hater of the Vikings and all MN pro sports. Killed me to post his article, but as you stated ... he did have some good points. Hey, I was happy as anyone to see this ship pointed in the right direction, but there is still a ways to go .... SKOL to the Vikings for yesterday's performance though.

Prophet Guest

"Patrick Reusse" wrote:
    Tell us anything, Coach. We're all a bunch of gullible saps here in medialand.
    Now that is a point I can agree with.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast