Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Where Does Zygi Rank?

[size=18px]Where Does Zygi Rank? [/size]

By: Viking Update Staff
    Date: Jun 30, 2006

Sports Illustrated has opted to rank NFL owners from No. 1 to No. 32 in what it deems to be the best owners in the league, and the worst. Under their standards, they didn't think much of Vikings owner Zygi Wilf, who finished 20th in their poll.

The Vikings continue to get bashed by the national media as a 2006 also-ran. It’s bad enough when the boys at ESPN rank the Vikes as middle of the road when it comes to offense and defense, but Sports Illustrated has taken it a step farther – taking pot shots at owner Zygi Wilf.

In a recent story, one of SI’s writers ranked NFL owners from 1 to 32 – giving kudos to owners that were deemed to be the best in the business and cheap shots to those SI determined to be bad for their franchise. Wilf ended up in the latter, clumped together with a group of owners termed “Out To Lunch” – including Alex Spanos of the Chargers who has refereed a feud between his coach and general manager, and Georgia Frontierre, who is viewed as self-absorbed and a wannabe Hollywood starlet.

About Wilf, who was sandwiched in between Spanos and Frontierre, SI wrote, “Wilf, like a certain high-profile leader with a plummeting approval rating, talks a big game -- he threatened during a locker room rant to cut the players responsible for the Vikings' infamous "Love Boat" party last fall -- but hasn't bothered to deliver. His first big front-office hire, former Chargers scouting director Fran Foley, blew up after three months.”
    Apparently $1 billion in private money to keep the franchise in Minnesota doesn’t cut the mustard with the good folks at Sports Illustrated. Then again, Jerry Jones finished second in their “great owners” list, so take it for what it’s worth.

FRIDAY NOTES
    * It was a day of comings and goings for a couple of former Vikings with the Buccaneers. Wide receiver Ben Nelson was released after being signed last month and quarterback Jay Fiedler was signed to serve as a veteran quarterback backup to Chris Simms.
    * Denny Green is at it again. When with the Vikings, Green loved to make outrageous claims about his running backs – whether it be Robert Smith or Michael Bennett. Now he’s got Edgerrin James as his protégé and he hasn’t let up. In a story in the Phoenix newspaper, Green said this week that he expects Edge to rush for 1,600 yards. He made no mention of how many touchdowns he expected, which was probably a wise move – the Cards had the worst rushing offense in the league last year.

Where Does Zygi Rank?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Where Does Zygi Rank?

offshoot of thread in general NFL forum. Silver is an idiot.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

With everythiing Zygi has done so far. I find that hard to believe, they got him at 20th overall...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingNed" wrote:
    With everythiing Zygi has done so far. I find that hard to believe, they got him at 20th overall...
    Goes to show you that these sportswriters don't do their homework before they make assumptions.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:
    Goes to show you that these sportswriters don't do their homework before they make assumptions.
    I have this gut feeling that Zygi is going to be one of the most mentioned NFL owners names mentioned on a regular basis......

I also believe, he will get the Stadium Deal Done next year......

He is also going to be the leading force in paving our way to our long overdue Super Bowl Championship........

This I see.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Newman is offline Rookie

all i know is he is from Jersey so you know he has gatta be one of the best

crazyB is offline Starter

:grin: the sport's reporter's are just jealous as they know how bad the team looked with Red as owner, with Wilf we are making a stronger team all round and i guess they don't want to here us say " i told you Wilf could make a championship team".
    they mocked the Viking's so much with Red as owner it would be like eating humble pie now, they didn't want to listen when us fan's where saying it's Red's fault as he won't spend the cash.
    look how good we look now and don't foreget all the big name player's we lost recently.
    i hate to say i told you so but i think the viking fan's told you so. :grin:
    8)

8) crazyB that s Mr crazyB to you 8)

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

You know, this year I've decided not to pay attention to any of the $hit like this because no one knows! The Vikings are the same as a new team in the NFL this year, and it just erks the press they can't rag on them in any other way. So they pick what teams they know about, and like us have to wait and see about all our new changes. They are finding out how we feel not knowing what will happen next, sucks doesn't it?
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

oakmage is offline Starter

Personally I love the fact that the media is not giving the Vikes a chance this year. Every time they do then the Vikes have a great year, and when they say great things then we have a bad year. So go media keep saying those bad things and we will prove you wrong.

Zigy is a new owner, you cant expect him to be at the top. Wait a few years, if great things happen, he will move up, if not he will probably stay where he is. Remeber jerry jones might be a self absorbed prick, but he has a few SB trophies.
    You republican whore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast