Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Where are all the Vikings fans...

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Yes, but Fargo is still number 1.
    Besides, that is a restrictive way to search anyway...
    I'm not blaming you, but, rather, I'm more interested in what is produced when searching:

3. How many terms can I compare? And what other functionality is available?

You can compare up to five terms by separating each with a comma. To compare trend info for "mittens" and "bathing suits," for example, simply enter mittens, bathing suits and click "Search Trends."

To see how many searches contained either of two terms, just separate those terms with a vertical bar: "|". For example, to determine how many searches contained the terms "mittens" or "gloves," just enter mittens | gloves.

To compare multi-word terms, use parentheses. To see how many searches were done for either "winter mittens" or "gloves," for instance, just enter (winter mittens) | gloves (if you don't use parentheses, your query will be interpreted to mean all searches for "winter mittens" or "winter gloves").

You can also exclude terms from your search by using the minus sign. To see how many searches contained the term "maps" butnot "google," for instance, just enter maps-google.

To restrict your results to only those searches that contain your terms in the specific order you've entered them, you can put your terms in quotation marks. (By default, Google Trends will show you all searches that contain the terms you entered in any order.)

Note: when you use any of these advanced features -- quotation marks, minus signs, or vertical bars -- Google Trends will only display the search-volume graph. The news portion of the product doesn't support advanced functionality at this time.
    Seems that Minnesota Vikings vs. "Minnesota Vikings" is going to produce results that are different, in particular that the first search will find ALL searches of the word Minnesota and then cross-reference for those that also contain Vikings, rather than the specific phrase.

The second seems more accurate to me.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Noticed that Wisconsin ranked number 5 in the country for "sheep".

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Another funny thing...

A search under Tarvaris Jackson showed Minnesota way out in front, and ND and SD weren't even on the list.
    You'd think they'd be higher considering where they were with the Minnesota Vikings search.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Yes, but Fargo is still number 1.
    Besides, that is a restrictive way to search anyway...
    I'm not blaming you, but, rather, I'm more interested in what is produced when searching:

3. How many terms can I compare? And what other functionality is available?

You can compare up to five terms by separating each with a comma. To compare trend info for "mittens" and "bathing suits," for example, simply enter mittens, bathing suits and click "Search Trends."

To see how many searches contained either of two terms, just separate those terms with a vertical bar: "|". For example, to determine how many searches contained the terms "mittens" or "gloves," just enter mittens | gloves.

To compare multi-word terms, use parentheses. To see how many searches were done for either "winter mittens" or "gloves," for instance, just enter (winter mittens) | gloves (if you don't use parentheses, your query will be interpreted to mean all searches for "winter mittens" or "winter gloves").

You can also exclude terms from your search by using the minus sign. To see how many searches contained the term "maps" butnot "google," for instance, just enter maps-google.

To restrict your results to only those searches that contain your terms in the specific order you've entered them, you can put your terms in quotation marks. (By default, Google Trends will show you all searches that contain the terms you entered in any order.)

Note: when you use any of these advanced features -- quotation marks, minus signs, or vertical bars -- Google Trends will only display the search-volume graph. The news portion of the product doesn't support advanced functionality at this time.
    Seems that Minnesota Vikings vs. "Minnesota Vikings" is going to produce results that are different, in particular that the first search will find ALL searches of the word Minnesota and then cross-reference for those that also contain Vikings, rather than the specific phrase.

The second seems more accurate to me.

=Z=
    Accurate is a subjective term depending on what you are looking for.
    A search for "Minnesota Vikings" is a subset of a search for Minnesota Vikings, and because of that may not return the results you are looking for.
    Generally, a restrictive search is only better when you only want to find the keywords in a specific order.

For instance, if I search for "Minnesota Vikings", PP.O is the 10th result.
    But if I search for Minnesota Vikings without the quotes, PP.O is number 4.
    Why?
    Because there are more references to just "Vikings" as opposed to "Minnesota Vikings" in PP.O, so it is indexed much, much higher when just using the term "Vikings".
    (In fact it is indexed at 37 for Vikings, and not anywhere in the top 100 for Minnesota).
    The algorithm for rating the indexes of combines terms is incredibly complex, but as a general rule if you have two terms and one is indexed relatively high, the overall result will be better when doing an additive search than a restrictive one.

Disclaimer: If I sounded like a nerd there, it is because I am one.
    I work in an internet marketing company, so Search Engine Optimization is near and dear to my heart.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Why?
    Because there are more references to just "Vikings" as opposed to "Minnesota Vikings" in PP.O, so it is indexed much, much higher when just using the term "Vikings".
    (In fact it is indexed at 37 for Vikings, and not anywhere in the top 100 for Minnesota).
    The algorithm for rating the indexes of combines terms is incredibly complex, but as a general rule if you have two terms and one is indexed relatively high, the overall result will be better when doing an additive search than a restrictive one.

I work in an internet marketing company, so Search Engine Optimization is near and dear to my heart.
    However, as explained by Google, your example above is, in fact, wrong.
    PPO is number 4 w/out the quotes BECAUSE so many of the PPO posts with "Minnesota" in them also have "Vikings" in them somewhere.
    Which, logic tells me, is exactly correct.

Disclaimer:
    I'm a data guy, so you're not in any danger of losing me with your algorithm talk.

=Z=

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Graph when hip-hop is entered in the query.

[img width=450 height=201]http://www.google.com/trends/viz?q=hip-hop&date=all&geo=US&graph=weekly_img&ctab=0&sa=N[/img]

Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Why?

PPO is number 4 w/out the quotes BECAUSE so many of the PPO posts with "Minnesota" in them also have "Vikings" in them somewhere.

Disclaimer:
    I'm a data guy, so you're not in any danger of losing me with your algorithm talk.

=Z=
    Actually, that is exactly correct, and what I was trying to explain (albeit poorly).
    It is higher without the quotes because it is more likely to find pages on PP.O with both Minnesota and Vikings on them somewhere than it is to find pages with "Minnesota Vikings" appearing side by side.
    There is also a decent residual effect from the high indexing of Vikings that increases the overall index.
    Something about implication of content based on similar indexes... I forget the exact term.

That means that when searching for multiple terms, searching with the restrictive search (quotes) will produce a different result set than searching without quotes, and that result set, by virtue of being more specific, will be less likely to produce high ranking generalized results.

I realize that I am not explaining it well - that is why I am en engineer and not a client facing representative.
    General rule of thumb, most people should avoid using the restrictive searches unless they really know exactly what they are looking for.
    Customer testing that we (and many other marketing companies nationwide) have done shows that people tend to find what they were looking for faster when they do not use quotes.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Why?

Disclaimer:
    Actually, that is exactly correct, and what I was trying to explain (albeit poorly).
    It is higher without the quotes because it is more likely to find pages on PP.O with both Minnesota and Vikings on them somewhere than it is to find pages with "Minnesota Vikings" appearing side by side.

That means that when searching for multiple terms, searching with the restrictive search (quotes) will produce a different result set than searching without quotes, and that result set, by virtue of being more specific, will be less likely to produce high ranking generalized results.

I realize that I am not explaining it well - that is why I am en engineer and not a client facing representative.
    General rule of thumb, most people should avoid using the restrictive searches unless they really know exactly what they are looking for.
    Customer testing that we (and many other marketing companies nationwide) have done shows that people tend to find what they were looking for faster when they do not use quotes.
    And you evil marketing people say that not just because you get to show them more links that they don't want that way, right?

=Z=

Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Why?

Disclaimer:

And you evil marketing people say that not just because you get to show them more links that they don't want that way, right?

=Z=
    LOL.
    Nope, in fact, just the opposite.
    Google is pretty good at determine intent based on search terms.
    Try it yourself.
    Pick something that you want to search for, say fine dining in Minneapolis and try the search with and without quotes.
    Then decide for yourself which one returned a more meaningful result set.
    Of course, there will be exceptions to this, but for the most part, searching without the quotes allows you to find what you wanted faster.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

purplepowered is offline Pro-Bowler

I think that the most famous Cheesehead Hunting Club is in Staples Mn. It says so on my car. SKOL Oh It also stats the Minnesota is still Vikings Country. My hood told me that. pics to prove it. lol
    I am THE #1 Sidney Rice #18 Fan ever! Don't Be surprised when this kid IS a superstar! He is humble, smart, tough, talented and has alot of character! Takes alot of pride in his work, team, fans and life. Watch out for this kid! I think he is awesome! Everytime he touches the ball its MAGIC!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12