Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to get mad

ragz is offline GM

Re: When to get mad

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I live in north Texas, so I heard Michael Irvin on the radio the other day. He was talking about the Cowboys losing to the Redskins, and he said, back in his day (1990s), he or "someone" would have just gotten really mad, said something in the locker room, maybe even started a fight, to motivate the team to get better and to "not take it anymore".

I remember reading about a game in the 1970s when the Vikings were losing in the playoffs, and one of the D-linemen went absolutely berserk in the lockerroom. I think it was Eller or Page. Probably Eller. The tirade got so bad that Tarkenton actually locked himself into a locker !!

My question is, I really wonder if this is now happening on our team. Or does this not happen in the "modern NFL", where everyone just showers and leaves. Are we mad enough ? Are people stepping up in the locker room like this, when it is necessary ? And who would that guy be ? Just wondering.

[one of the games that has really bothered me over the years as a long-term Vikings fan was that game back against the Giants about 7 years ago, when they beat us 41-0. No one seemed mad. No one stepped up. It really bugged me. No one put a wicked hit on someone - legal or illegal to spark a flame. I really wondered, "don't they get mad" ?]
    well for one the score was 21-0 like 3 minutes into the game so i think they were just shocked and had no time to get mad before the game was basically over.

as for a fire.
    doesn't it have to start at the top?
    i mean the defense has a little cuz they have the feeling that they are good and have playmakers.
    childress's idea of lighting a fire is choosing to kickoff against tennesse cuz his kao can't score and hes waiting for the defense to do it for him.
    but isn't that attitude right there a perfect example of why this team does look flat alot of the time.
    his gameplan in itself does not exactly inspire the fans to get rowdy.
    "play defense, run the ball, if we have to punt its better than a turnover."

and what about heart too.
    do we look like a team that fights to the end, or when we are down late? we seem hopeless.
    and this is over the whole 3 years.
    and again a great example is in the tennesse game where we just punt with 2 minutes left.
    what do you think that tells the players?
    its okay to quit?
    dont bother even trying cuz it seems unfathomable?
    just think about how childress carries himself and when you hear him talk and compare it to how we look on the field.
    boring, uninteresting, alot of hype but not much production.
    i've come to the conclusion that childress is to blame for almost everything.
    our shitty economy.
    the war in iraq.
    my 30 lb weight gain over the last 3 years, global warming, why we can't get a new stadium, the bird flu.
    okay i think you get my point.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ragz" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    I live in north Texas, so I heard Michael Irvin on the radio the other day. He was talking about the Cowboys losing to the Redskins, and he said, back in his day (1990s), he or "someone" would have just gotten really mad, said something in the locker room, maybe even started a fight, to motivate the team to get better and to "not take it anymore".

I remember reading about a game in the 1970s when the Vikings were losing in the playoffs, and one of the D-linemen went absolutely berserk in the lockerroom. I think it was Eller or Page. Probably Eller. The tirade got so bad that Tarkenton actually locked himself into a locker !!

My question is, I really wonder if this is now happening on our team. Or does this not happen in the "modern NFL", where everyone just showers and leaves. Are we mad enough ? Are people stepping up in the locker room like this, when it is necessary ? And who would that guy be ? Just wondering.

[one of the games that has really bothered me over the years as a long-term Vikings fan was that game back against the Giants about 7 years ago, when they beat us 41-0. No one seemed mad. No one stepped up. It really bugged me. No one put a wicked hit on someone - legal or illegal to spark a flame. I really wondered, "don't they get mad" ?]
    well for one the score was 21-0 like 3 minutes into the game so i think they were just shocked and had no time to get mad before the game was basically over.

as for a fire.
    i mean the defense has a little cuz they have the feeling that they are good and have playmakers.
    childress's idea of lighting a fire is choosing to kickoff against tennesse cuz his kao can't score and hes waiting for the defense to do it for him.
    but isn't that attitude right there a perfect example of why this team does look flat alot of the time.

do we look like a team that fights to the end, or when we are down late? we seem hopeless.
    and again a great example is in the tennesse game where we just punt with 2 minutes left.
    its okay to quit?
    just think about how childress carries himself and when you hear him talk and compare it to how we look on the field.
    our shitty economy.
    the war in iraq.
    my 30 lb weight gain over the last 3 years, global warming, why we can't get a new stadium, the bird flu.
    Just being down by 21 in the first does.t mean the game is over.

ragz is offline GM

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

as for a fire.

its okay to quit?
    our poohie economy.
    the war in iraq.
    Just being down by 21 in the first does.t mean the game is over.
    who said that, but if you are down 21-0 after 3 minutes on the road in the biggest game of the year, mad is probably not the first thing that would pop in my mind.
    in fact, it wasn't while i was watching that game.
    i literally could not believe what just happened.
    and the vikes kinda looked the same.
    plus our secondary was just flatout terrible so all the anger in the world wouldnt have helped them cover anyone.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

If it is anything like soccer here in England it is all about money and that there is too much of it. Back in the 60s and 70s there was a player for Manchester United called Bobby Charlton, a very well liked and respected player who played for England during the glory days (well the 66 world cup win anyway) he said the first time he walked into the dressing room and saw hi England shirt he just stared at it and couldn't beleive he was going to wear it.

He would have worn that shirt for free and was hugely proud to do so. modern players see it as a way to earn more money and frankly if they didn't get paid the majority wouldn't play for their country.

I think Cris Carter said something similar about pulling on a Vikings shirt. sadly that is what we are lacking. The simple passion of just wanting to go out there and play for the fans, for your team mates but most of all for yourself and the pride of leaving the field saying I did my best, I gave it all I had.

Winning or losing if you can leave the field like that, good enough for me.

/ Brit Rant off
    Purple till i die

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12